Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

awesmoe posted:

can't really have a productive discussion if you won't shift on your view that the lies were obvious :shrug:
e: like if you really believe they were obviously lies to everyone at the paper then yeah everyone at the nyt is a cackling ghoul sending young men off to die while grabbing bags of money
if you accept that the lies were believable to a scoop-hungry zealot, then it's a massive journalistic failure for miller to trust those particular sources, and a massive editorial failure in giving her the trust to write the story without more vetting. But in this case, they printed it because they thought it was news, even if they were disastrously wrong.
Either way it was an institutional fuckup that the paper's credibility will never recover from (and rightly so).

It absolutely was obvious that USA was lying during the lead-up to the Iraq war. At least from my point of view outside USA.

Did your media not report on the weapons inspectors' results, or how the things your government told in the UN about Iraq were blatant lies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Tab8715 posted:

I thought it was informative. I wasn't aware of John's Rally but I don't see the harm in inviting O'Riley on the show. Hell, I'm surprised Bill didn't give himself a heart attack.

Giving a person the opportunity to speak in their own voice, even in a comedy show, normalises them as someone whose opinions are at least worth debating. This is dangerous when the opinions are those of a far right demagogue.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
For example, BBC's Question Time show just got caught planting Tory activists in the audience and "just happening" to let them ask the questions:
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1104767159329308678