Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Holy poo poo Helsing you wrote so many words, when I asked you to make this thread I said you didn't have to write me a term paper. :stare:

Good job tho! This thread is going to replace the old lovely "Left Wing Media" thread and I think it will be much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

:yikes: What the Christ is this?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

karthun posted:

Alternative media.

Oh is this where Mark Ames writes? I get him confused with Michael Tracey a lot, that's probably insulting to one of them but I'm not sure which one.

Probably worth discussing Ben Norton and Max Blumenthal's Moderate Rebels podcast, and I'm sure they'll provoke all kinds of interesting takes.

Re: lizard conspiracy man, I'm not sure "I actually believe in lizard people but not in an anti-Semitic way or anything" really... works, as a defense, tbh.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Leofish posted:

What scale of media is this thread aiming to discuss? The larger outfits are, in some cases, doing okay but local orgs, be they newspapers or broadcasters, are cutting back or disappearing. The media concentration is a part of this, of course. As large orgs, like Torstar and Postmedia to cite Canadian examples, swallow up smaller local papers, they either shutter them completely, or fire their journalists and replace the content with their own stuff from their national desk.

Is this why they sometimes tweet those "copy edit this" quizzes?

When I pitched this thread to Helsing as an idea I imagined it would be a place to discuss the media as an institution and metanarrative, inspired by discussion of the Russia investigation in a meta context of it being used for various agendas. But discussing media consolidation and corporate influence on media are germane to this thread imo. It’s a good place to discuss media in general from a critical perspective, whether it’s what they cover or how they’re structured.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Helsing posted:

That's wasn't a rhetorical question, the reason I asked is because I haven't heard much about Icke in years and he totally seems like the kind of person who might have reinvented themselves as an alt-right or Qannon guy.

I think if you’re unironically quoting the Protocols even if you sincerely believe in actual lizard people, you’re still spreading propaganda of fascists and should be considered as such.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

selec posted:

Buddy this isn’t a Jewish thing so stop making it weird. It’s a navel-gazing coastal elite thing, and a finance capitalism thing.

This um, this isn't a good rebuttal given what both of those things are dogwhistles for on the right.

But SickZip, noted haver of bad opinions and terrible rapsheet, delivering us the unironic "the NYT is bad because Jews work there" is very on brand. :thunk:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

selec posted:

How else do you talk about the incestuous bubble of people raised in coastal enclaves, then attended an Ivy, and all work as lanyards of some kind or another? While the idea of coastal elites has had a lot of other meanings wrapped into it by conservatives, like many of their dog whistles, they started by parroting an accurate leftist analysis (all these rich assholes from the coast hire and gently caress each other exclusively) and then adding their bullshit dog whistle to it. I don’t know that ceding the base truth under that is meaningful or useful.

Same with finance capitalism; a leftist concept that accurately describes the systematic suction of capital upwards through a system of increasingly abstract and opaque mechanisms legalized and benefitted from by the same group of incestuous members of the elite. That reactionaries latched onto this because they are constitutionally incapable of forming new ideas is not the fault of the people, leftists, who accurately described the issue, and did so without the antisemetism that came to be attached to those concepts.

In fact, that we have such a hard time discussing these two obvious concepts without the antisemetism of the right poisoning that discussion is super, super helpful to the people who benefit from those discussions not occurring.

I think it might be okay to, in exclusively or majority leftist spaces, accept those commonplace understandings as coming from a place of sincerity without dogwhistles packages in them, especially considering the very post they were used in explicitly called out some pretty edgy/possibly antisemetic language.

The problem is not that there isn't a strong cultural bias towards the rich and powerful or that international capitalist institutions have an immense amount of control over society and the economy, it's that "international finance and the coastal elite" is literally the language of the right in 2018 and you can't escape that. You also can't assume that everyone in this thread is leftist when SickZip just came in with anti-Semitic dogwhistling and that dogwhistle has to be addressed.

The framing of the right is insidious precisely for what you said: they adopt the language of the left and redirect it at the vulnerable. International finance and the coastal elite are bad, now let me tell you how the Jews control that herp derp. We're in the midst of a huge resurgence of antisemitism on the right precisely because we're also looking at the death throes of late capitalism, and leftists have to reckon with how fascists steal the rhetoric of the left to spin conspiracy theories about the Other.

In the context of media criticism we see media outlets today uncritically regurgitating literal Nazi talking points like "cultural Marxism" and then turning to accuse left-wing leaders like Corbyn of antisemitism because they didn't bend over backwards to legitimize Israeli apartheid against Palestine.

Edit: in this vein it's worth noting that the most influential voice on the "respectable right" isn't any of these columnists who are supposedly bad because they're Jewish, it's Jordan "I'm hella Christian" Peterson.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 18, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

SickZip posted:

I'm not even going to address the weird ritual hygiene about arguments preceding it because it's psychotic beyond understanding but I'm extremely confused at how I'm dogwhistling? Did your powerful mod mind decipher my reference to "upperclass New York Jewish perspective" and determine that it was coded reference to Jews?

I put this entire quote into google and this was the first result.

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/philosophy/people/eqandwelfare/map/saul_dogwhistles_political_manipulation_and_philosophy_of_language.pdf

Extremely lol.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://twitter.com/Nitzky89/status/1041448813775478785

Jimmy Dore is bad lol. (this is a Twitter thread)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Speaking of Tucker Carlson, Glenn Greenwald is really digging into his support of him, and dragging the Intercept with him:

https://twitter.com/nberlat/status/1075845025466966018

Greenwald you fuckin' idiot. :negative:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tab8715 posted:

Do I need to listen to the interview? I’m not following...

Glenn Greenwald is going to bat for Tucker Carlson's "free speech" because people are trying to boycott companies that place ads on Carlson's show. Carlson is a white nationalist. Greenwald just constantly memes himself on issues related to freedom of speech and it's hilarious but also sad because he should know better.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Glenn Greenwald is simultaneously an incredibly talented journalist and writer, and a great philanthropist who hooks up homeless people with puppies, and yet also a big old fuckin' idiot, and I know why he is both of these things and yet it is also baffling to me.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tab8715 posted:

Greenwald's reporting has been going downhill ever since Bush left in '08. His constantly cries of Russiaphobia are complete nonsense.

I feel like this isn’t really fair to his entire body of work. Even if you grant that he’s 100% wrong on Russia for example, his reporting on animal abuse and factory farming has been exemplary and he does a good job on Brazil too as far as I can tell as a relatively uninformed outsider.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Spun Dog posted:

Maybe he should stick to that.

I mean tbh Greenwald would be one of the unambiguously greatest journalists of our generation if he only wrote about animal abuse and factory farming.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tab8715 posted:

My current thoughts on him are entirely from his twitter, maybe that's a poor example?

Yeah his Twitter is kinda bad tbh. Sometimes it’s good but it’s mostly silly.

Spun Dog posted:

And didn't narc out whistleblowers.

I assume you mean Reality Winner here.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, free speech fundamentalism is stupid and probably the biggest issue with Greenwald's personal ideology.

I dunno if I'd go as far as to say "incredibly talented." It's more that, in the context of US media, he isn't a particularly offensive figure and the ire aimed at him is obviously deranged and unreasonable. I can't help but doubt the judgement of someone who feels the need to express their strong distaste towards a person like Greenwald but has almost nothing negative to say about more mainstream non-Republican media figures.

Nah I think Greenwald is unironically a good journalist and his reporting on factory farming actually deserves awards. We can sit all day and argue about the merits of his Russia reporting but his problem is that he memes himself on his takes as a pundit not that he’s objectively bad at his job, because his investigative reporting is good.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
A debate was brought up in US NEWS we had one time in the thunderdome, about the way RT etc. is perceived as inherently illegitimate propaganda versus the way people will grant the assumption of good faith or at least benefit of the doubt to an outlet like Bloomberg, and I think it’s a discussion worth having here.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Meliarion posted:

You might find this academic report that was done on the press's attitudes towards Jeremy Corbin and the Labour party helpful in understanding why British people might view the press cynically.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/media-and-communications/research/research-projects/representations-of-jeremy-corbyn

The way the British press has handled the rise of Corbyn and the left-ward swing of the Labour Party is totally mind-blowing to me, iirc they even went after him for having been in an interracial relationship with Abbot lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I’m phone posting so I won’t join in on the 1000 word post crew yet but this is incredibly lol, a powerful self-own on Assange’s part.