Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I don't really know where else to post this but I had like an hour-long conversation with my SO over the weekend trying to convince her that Jeremy Corbyn wasn't an anti-semite or the "Trump of the UK".

She's not stupid nor conservative, and at least leans left even if she's turned off by hyper partisan poo poo and avoids it if she can. She told me this was basically how NPR and BBC world service are covering him 24/7 and without digging deeper it basically gives the impression that Corbyn is the Trump to May's Clinton. I wanted to just start playing the recent Chapo ep about the character assassination of leftists by the mainstream but that's not how real humans interact so I was just kinda stuck going "he didn't say that" or "that's not a thing that happened".

I expect this kind of poo poo out of right-wing news but didn't expect something so milquetoast to be rolling so hard for this narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

GoluboiOgon posted:

but are any of these people actually high up in labor, or are they just facebook randos who happen to support labor?

the only result i found for katie nikiforou is the quote below. devon nola's only mention is appearing on a list of self-hating jews, where he is listed without any affiliations. asa winstanley is a freelance reporter. as far as i can tell, none of these people are involved in the labor party apparatus.

That's the thing, I have no problem saying there are antisemites in...virtually any political organization worldwide, whether I agree with them or not. The problem I have is with the wording, "Labour has an antisemitism problem" - do they? Are they infested with antisemites, do antisemites steer policy or hold office?

It just reads like "Democrats have an antisemitism problem" in the US, clearly disingenuous.