Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I do not understand how you can be Online enough to be on these forums, basic enough in the brain to be scandalized by highly advanced Russian Active Measures (aka. interferentsiya) across *gasp* EVERY social media network like

and not be demanding a roll of warm scalps at the seemingly-implacable development of things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSLJriaOumA

We, as a nominally democratic society, are in no way prepared for how totally the notion of an agreed-upon reality is about to get bent in into origami by the application of currently existing tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Helsing posted:

I also find it remarkable how so many of the anxieties I heard expressed in the early 2000s about Fox News and its then unprecedented levels of open partisanship have seemingly all turned into to anxieties about the internet, facebook, fake news and the decline of trust in "mainstream" sources. So far as I can tell nobody really disputes that Fox counts as "mainstream" news now so I'm not really sure how people sustain the idea that the internet has made some uniquely malign contribution to our media culture. It feels like there's been a willful forgetting of how bad stuff was already getting before social media came along as a convenient scapegoat.

Granting that there is definitely a normalizing effect in play, I feel like its within the realm of reason to say there has been a degenerative trend when the reality TV stars of those very early 2000s--themselves notoriously favoring of fox news in particular--are the presidents of 2020. It was that bad before, its worse now, and seems fit to degrade further into the future.