Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

Undying's out along with a $5 DLC for the permanent arcade and some reskin cosmetics. I'm surprised the reference gun from his trailer hasn't ever been an unlockable. I've run the ET again, haven't done the arcade yet, but looks like level 1 is the pen kill- should be straightforward.

NB: The scientist outfit is pretty much 100% safe in the area you'll want to navigate.

NB 2: Looks like this arcade uniquely doesn't have a cooldown on attempts.

Is the Arcade version just an escalation of the Undying ET?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lol, I blew the Undying and myself with the bomb in the lab. i guess i underestimated the explosion size

next year, sean bean, next year

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is the Arcade version just an escalation of the Undying ET?

Level 1 is the first version (so no eyepatch) with the pen kill as an objective. Level 2 is 2nd version (eyepatch) and has no added objectives. Level 3 is also version 2, but with a very nasty set of required elements that I'll let others experience.

Between some properties that are indicated to the player by the final level and some incidental dialogue ("You look good in that one" when passing a disguised 47), it's clear that Faba knows exactly who you are and what is happening the entire time.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 22, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shooting Blanks posted:

Hm, the closest thing I can think of to Hi-Viz in Hitman is probably the race official in Miami, which coincidentally, is an excellent map for accident kills. I may be putting an OSHA themed custom contract together soon.

Race Marshal is an *excellent* outfit in alerted Miami. Trivial to obtain, tons of access, not a lot of enforcers, targets will potentially ignore it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Goatse James Bond posted:

Race Marshal is an *excellent* outfit in alerted Miami. Trivial to obtain, tons of access, not a lot of enforcers, targets will potentially ignore it.

I feel like Miami in particular has a wealth of good disguises that are easy to get (albeit a ton of them with the various drivers/mechanics). Dubai is another one where it's just straightforward to get whatever you need. Hokkaido, Marrakesh, and Mumbai are the only maps I can think of where certain good disguises are somewhat annoying, particularly the elite Crows disguise on Mumbai.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Re: the new Undying 3 stage escalation (spoiled for one of the restrictions): Got spotted with one foot still over the line while exiting the staff only area of one of the company bars and I forgot these things give you a cooldown timer before you can try them again :mad:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I came back to this game for the Undying after about a year break from it and I also failed stage 3. Got spotted about two feet away from the little back room connected to the lab that's next to the back office.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
With respect to Alerted map targets, they should always see through guard disguises and almost never see through civilian ones. If you're lunatic enough to run an Alerted Showdown in Colorado, the only safe disguise is Hacker because nobody else is considered a civilian.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Twitch drops of the purple explosive duck are now live for those interested; as usual it's one hour of watching folks play the game (usually badly). Seeing someone going for an SASO run of all missions in sequence restart because they forgot to bring two lethal poison vials to Bangkok and apparently had no clue there was any other way to SASO the targets was pretty miserable.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Discendo Vox posted:

Twitch drops of the purple explosive duck are now live for those interested; as usual it's one hour of watching folks play the game (usually badly). Seeing someone going for an SASO run of all missions in sequence restart because they forgot to bring two lethal poison vials to Bangkok and apparently had no clue there was any other way to SASO the targets was pretty miserable.

My friend, you are allowed to mute the tab

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Devo posted:

My friend, you are allowed to mute the tab

Oh I did, believe me, I just happened to check back in around when I thought it was done to see them successfully get up to the cake, place the topper, realize they didn't have poison, and throw a tantrum. I guess they were using video guides or something.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh I did, believe me, I just happened to check back in around when I thought it was done to see them successfully get up to the cake, place the topper, realize they didn't have poison, and throw a tantrum. I guess they were using video guides or something.

Ouch.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Argh I got spotted by a scientist in level 3 and now I have to wait 12 hours :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This has happened to me three times now and it's so loving stupid :cripes:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

This has happened to me three times now and it's so loving stupid :cripes:

Twice here. Second time I got popped by a camera as I was creeping around a corner to shoot it.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, the level of Hitman 1 Mastery assholery they added to the top floor of Kronstadt is why I just sniped him from the race booth on the other side of the track, SA be damned.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Yeah...I read the level 3 requirements, scoped out some suit-only routes, saw how much margin for error they had and decided to just snipe him.

Wasn't clean, but it was done :shrug:

e: ^^^great minds think alike

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I only went for SA on the first level. It takes some time to remove the three scientists and a bunch of guards.
And that's why I decided to not bother with it on the second and third level. Especially on the third without a disguise it would just take too much time

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Maybe a step-by-step guide to my method will help. This is a slow and conservative approach, but it leaves very little to chance.

Level 3 Ouroboros

1. Bring a seiker and something to use as a sound lure, preferably a coin. Go through the basement parking lot and disable cameras, taking a keycard along the way. This can be done reliably by using a junctionbox to lure and knock out a guard. Be sure to stash his body in the corner dumpster.
2. Head right up the stairwell inside the security room, all the way to the second floor.
There are three sets of patrolling NPCs to watch out for on the second floor, all heading through the main hallway:
a) Robert Knox and his bodyguard.
b) the target and his two bodyguards.
c) two guards on a regular patrol.
The stairs are safe from all of these. In addition, the scientist Timothy Yu will pass through the nearby keycard door to check his reflection in the nearby bathroom (marked with "Yu" on the map). Note this route makes the nearby cleaning cart cover unsafe...until he is dealt with.

3. When you first arrive at this position, Yu is likely either in the bathroom or will enter soon. After checking the coast is clear for other guard patrols, open the bathroom door and seiker Yu from outside (if you try to just nab him he may spot you in the mirror!). Holster your seiker after using it, and bear in mind the wonky vomit pathing may cause him to leave the bathroom before returning to vomit. After he's vomiting, knock him out. Check that the coast is clear, then drag Yu down the stairs all the way down to ground floor and stash him in the box under the stairs. This isn't essential, but is a very, very conservative approach.
4. The cleaning cart is now generally a safe spot. Your goal is to move through the weapons development room into the back storage room (Roman numeral II on the map), then into the neighboring utility room (Roman numeral I on the map). This will take some waiting, and is probably the riskiest part of the run.
a) You want both scientists to be working at the center bench, facing away from you. Bear in mind their loops aren't synced, and it will take some time for them to line up. Be patient- do not go for it when one of them is next to the storage room door.
b) No, seriously, take your time! The scientists will sometimes loop in place when they begin to change positions, and they do not spend the same amount of time in each position. In particular, the one that doesn't leave the lab spends very little time in the position you want him to be in. This will take a couple cycles.
c) the first time he comes to the area, the target will wait in the entry room for Yu for a minute or so until he continues to check the weapons. Watch out! He only waits for a couple seconds on later loops.

5. One of the scientists goes into the storage room on their loop and can be safely knocked out while you hang out in the utility room. Be sure the door into the lab is closed, and don't take his outfit!! Stash the scientist in the nearby closet.
6. Toss a coin at roughly the X on the map, then hang out at the other (Eastern) end of the storage room. This will let you safely knock out the remaining scientist. Stash his body.
7. When the coast is completely clear, step into the lab and close the door going out into the main hall. The guard won't be able to see you behind him.
8. Place your seiker or another gun at the X and when the target is in the room with his guards, open the door and toss a robot arm at the X as well. This will lure one of the two bodyguards, who will be distracted by the seiker and ripe for knockout (again, watch the door!). Stash the guard body in the neighboring storage room. Wait for a second loop from the target and repeat with the other guard. Don't get greedy!
10. Almost done- make sure the door leading to the central hall is closed, then await your target. Sean Bean knows who you are and why you're here- he doesn't enforce 47 in any outfit afaict. Kill him by any quiet means and place his body in the storage room, then retreat back down to parking and escape.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 25, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is actually what I tried to do on my third attempt! After dealing with Yu, one of the scientists started his walking away animation to enter the storage room so I made for the door to enter the testing room when suddenly he returned back to the table to his idle animation. I froze, decided not to risk it and started moving down the stairs again... and got spotted by one of the bodyguards coming down the corridor and immediate 12 hour timer :gonk:

The first two times, I was going for the sniper kill instead but the first time as I was sneaking my way past the VIP checkpoints my foot was spotted stepping out from behind a bar. 12 hours. Second time, I went and dropped a gun for an NPC to see and call over the guard at the VIP section. I wasn't seen doing it, I moved back down through the crowd past the unalerted security guard to wait for the NPC to spot it, the guard suddenly went,"Hey buddy!" and suddenly FAILED! appeared on the screen, 12 hours. For reasons I still don't understand :argh:

It's so dumb, especially since you have to do the first two levels again :sigh:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah that’s roughly the same route I tried, but I mistimed one of the scientist cycles. I got so annoyed after that that I went into the regular ET and just sniped his rear end for a four star.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

That reminded me of some other issues with the researcher positions, so I tweaked the description a bit. In principle, you could go up a the Eastern staircase to the top floor via the "triangular room", knock out some people with a sink, and go across the top floor and down into the utility room marked as Roman I in my "guide", but I think that's an even more time-consuming and risky approach.

If going for sniper kill, I think the race announcing booth would probably be easier and safer, but I've never checked the angles from there.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I wonder if there’s a back way into the conference room so that you can spike his coffee. I know there’s guards posted on the balcony there so I didn’t try it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In any case, thanks for the effort Discendo Vox, at least I know I was on the right path in thinking how to pull it off.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Devo posted:

I wonder if there’s a back way into the conference room so that you can spike his coffee. I know there’s guards posted on the balcony there so I didn’t try it.

There's like 4 other people static in the room watching it so I don't think so.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Always nice to get an extra achievement on the side, and makes me wonder; is using the assassin android the only way to get a ballistic headshot kill that's also an accident kill?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Generally, yes. Certain scripted kills are counted as accidents because they would otherwise most definitely not be accidents, per the code. That kill has to be like that or the body would immediately be spotted and void SA, but the same isn't true of any manual firing of a gun.

Before anyone suggests Soders, while it is true that any method which kills Soders will not void SA: (1) It's not an accident to kill Soders with a gun; and (2) Soders isn't actually a real NPC and I don't think he has locational damage modeled, he just dies if he's attacked in any meaningful sense, which is how wallbanging him through the window with a demo block works (it does just the teensiest bit of damage to him, which is enough to kill him as any damage will).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nakar posted:

Generally, yes. Certain scripted kills are counted as accidents because they would otherwise most definitely not be accidents, per the code. That kill has to be like that or the body would immediately be spotted and void SA, but the same isn't true of any manual firing of a gun.

Before anyone suggests Soders, while it is true that any method which kills Soders will not void SA: (1) It's not an accident to kill Soders with a gun; and (2) Soders isn't actually a real NPC and I don't think he has locational damage modeled, he just dies if he's attacked in any meaningful sense, which is how wallbanging him through the window with a demo block works (it does just the teensiest bit of damage to him, which is enough to kill him as any damage will).

The snipers in Mendoza and the Kashmirian in Mumbai, off the top of my head.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

My easy to execute method is this. It can be used for the SASO but handles all versions of the escalation just as easily.

1) Go into the garage security room, take out the security system.
2) Take the big stairs up from here to the top, Mr. Yu will very conveniently isolate himself in the bathroom in front of you in about 30 seconds.
3) Deal with the two scientists in the weapons lab. Very easy once one walks into the back room. Hide the bodies.
4) Take any two guns from the weapons research table in the room and drop them on the floor of the little office
5) When Faba shows up to the office, his two bodyguards will go on a quest to deliver the guns to the top floor security room, leaving our boy totally alone near a body dump box. If you're doing the pen you can buy some more time by dropping two more guns on the stairs for his guards to discover on the way back.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I suppose to be pedantic, the Miami android kill is one that could be counted as an industrial accident, ha. For purposes of the other ones, I think the point is that the target being killed by someone other than 47 means any investigation into the deaths would end at the people who pulled the trigger, with 47's involvement being entirely incidental and all.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I suppose to be pedantic, the Miami android kill is one that could be counted as an industrial accident, ha. For purposes of the other ones, I think the point is that the target being killed by someone other than 47 means any investigation into the deaths would end at the people who pulled the trigger, with 47's involvement being entirely incidental and all.

"Accident kill" is something tracked by the game, so I'm just going off of that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is there a photo of Faba or does he just get taken out as collateral damage if you scan in Yu's photo while he's doing the tour?

I got all excited thinking if I took a photo of Faba with my camera I could scan it on the android assassin but the two don't interact :smith:

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Is there a photo of Faba or does he just get taken out as collateral damage if you scan in Yu's photo while he's doing the tour?

I got all excited thinking if I took a photo of Faba with my camera I could scan it on the android assassin but the two don't interact :smith:

It's on a desk in Robert's office on the top floor

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

There's signs that the photo system in Miami was going to be more developed; the "get your photo taken" booth at the entrance has some weird semi-reactive NPC behavior that lets you stand in line and get photographed, but it does nothing. Also, consider those reporter photgraphy blend spots...

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

:lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcr7sBRofd8&t=366s

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

what a beautiful run

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how the hell do you even figure that out

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

double nine posted:

how the hell do you even figure that out

If you already know about the car bomb, you just need to figure out the right placement to get the fire cracker to fly to the door, which you can do in the regular level with save scumming.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finally got that done, happy to put that behind m-

Oh man, kinda wanna try again now :lol:

RoastBeef posted:

It's on a desk in Robert's office on the top floor

Goddammit!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Trip report: the new challenge is surprisingly finicky to get with an SA clear on the last level of the Berlin Egg Hunt. This is because the blue egg makes an unusually far-reaching sound when it breaks, when it knocks someone out the game picks a different NPC to check the noise, and the body itself breaks SA, unlike with tranquilizers. Still quite doable.

For those who haven't done the mission/don't have the DLC, note that:
a) this is time-limited, get it while you can! Disregard that, I can't read.
b) the final target on level 3 will not actually spot you, though it will seem like he can.

The other two challenges coming over the next month look similarly trivial.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 31, 2024