Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

Trip report: the new challenge is surprisingly finicky to get with an SA clear on the last level of the Berlin Egg Hunt. This is because the blue egg makes an unusually far-reaching sound when it breaks, when it knocks someone out the game picks a different NPC to check the noise, and the body itself breaks SA, unlike with tranquilizers. Still quite doable.

For those who haven't done the mission/don't have the DLC, note that:
a) this is time-limited, get it while you can!
b) the final target on level 3 will not actually spot you, though it will seem like he can.

The other two challenges coming over the next month look similarly trivial.

It's worth noting that the blue egg is a new and unique gadget - throwable impact sedative grenade, and throwing it does not count as a suspicious action. You only need to complete the challenge, not the contract (or even the first level of the escalation) to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I was kinda surprised since I'd already completed the escalation before, so I was able to just go straight to level 3, the blue egg was just sitting there on the ground, I tossed it and KOed somebody and that was that, challenge complete!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i lost more than one attempt to forgetting that it's a target escalation rather than a target arcade and the pen is mandatory, but i finally got a photo finish on the final level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C-krisdCZY

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I like how Diana in her Undying briefing very specifically points out that the race booth will be heavily guarded, so trying shenanigans from there will be difficult and then no, there's no one guarding that room and it's definitely the easiest way to just potshot Sean Bean when he sticks his head out

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

For those who haven't done the mission/don't have the DLC, note that:
a) this is time-limited, get it while you can!

Are you sure about this ? There's no mention of a time limit anywhere and the egg hunt escalation is available year round, this is just a new challenge they added to it. I think the only time gating is for people who don't own the full version of Hitman 3, Berlin is currently in the F2P rotation and will rotate out in a couple of weeks.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Are you sure about this ? There's no mention of a time limit anywhere and the egg hunt escalation is available year round, this is just a new challenge they added to it. I think the only time gating is for people who don't own the full version of Hitman 3, Berlin is currently in the F2P rotation and will rotate out in a couple of weeks.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain the Easter stuff is in the game permanently, unless they're planning to change that. I got my set of Easter themed unlocks done back at the beginning of March.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Ah, my bad, I got confused- the egg hunt is free to play until April 15, but is permanently unlocked with the base game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That was truly the silliest Freelancer mission. On escalated Whittleton, my side objective was an epic sniper rifle kill. Identified the target, sniped him through one of the upstairs windows. Which being Hitman led every guard to magic their way to my location, so I panicked and jumped in a closet. They didn't find me, but they did find my suitcase I foolishly left on the floor. Someone takes the suitcase, takes it all the way to a guard, who deposits it all the way in the loving Janus house garage

I had two options at this point. One, risk carrying my epic sniper rifle in plain sight where I would probably be shot to death running to the exit. Two, leave the sniper rifle safely right where I started and launch a daring infiltration mission into the Janus compound to get my goddamn suitcase, return to the scene of the crime, put my sniper rifle away and leave. Which I pulled off after many close calls, taking out a nosy gardener, then a guard, then juking a platoon of alerted guards to make my way into the house, the garage, get my suitcase and then out. For a suitcase. There weren't any other suitcases I could have used on the map, only that one. Didn't even have enough money at the time to buy something from the vendor that would have given me a suitcase :v:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Always remember the hidden third option - just kill the narcs.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Assuming you were sniping from the for sale house, you could probably have grabbed a crowbar and exfiltrated through the sewer. The north side of the map is pretty light on armed guards, I think there's just a single cop.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Uhh...surely I'm missing something and IOI aren't scamming Steam users right now, right?

Because I'm seeing this:

And I'm not seeing any options to upgrade from "Part One" version to full WoA version.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

It says in the description "An option to upgrade to the full World of Assassination is available." so that's probably somewhere, maybe inside the game itself.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jack Trades posted:

Uhh...surely I'm missing something and IOI aren't scamming Steam users right now, right?

Because I'm seeing this:

And I'm not seeing any options to upgrade from "Part One" version to full WoA version.

If you buy a part of a larger pack separately (like here where you’re purchasing part one of the trilogy), the complete pack will reflect that and reduce the price accordingly.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I love hitman but they had maybe the worst release strategy of all time

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I love hitman but they had maybe the worst release strategy of all time

And it's not getting better. I was hoping once they finally got all of it in one bit for WoA we'd be done with this poo poo, but nooooooo. Still way too many packs and individual DLCs that require spreadsheets to know what you get.

The game owns. Everything about buying it sucks.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.
Has anyone ever had a bug where a map displays no undiscovered location icons but the challenge counter says you're still a few away from Discovering the area? I've been going through the maps trying to get all the location stuff and in Whittleton Creek I'm stuck at 27/29 despite having found everything. I even counted all the text labels and I'm pretty sure I'm at 29.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Stupid question maybe but are you checking other floors?

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Dabir posted:

Stupid question maybe but are you checking other floors?

I am indeed. I wish it were so simple a problem.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Go here and disable the icons (except "navigation") to look around for the named locations you may be missing. From a casual look, I'd say Batty's shed, the explorer statue, plus some of the individual rooms in the Cassidy and Janus houses are the most likely culprits. Hopefully not a glitch.

https://www.hitmaps.com/games/hitman2/whittleton-creek/another-life

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Go here and disable the icons (except "navigation") to look around for the named locations you may be missing. From a casual look, I'd say Batty's shed, the explorer statue, plus some of the individual rooms in the Cassidy and Janus houses are the most likely culprits. Hopefully not a glitch.

https://www.hitmaps.com/games/hitman2/whittleton-creek/another-life

Good news! I opened up Hitman 3 just now to compare and contrast and whatever was going on last session resolved itself because I have the challenge checked off my list now.

Weird glitch but at least it fixed itself. Thanks for your help.

(Also, weirdly the hitmaps page is missing a couple things on the topmost floor...)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I wanna play Whittleton Creek at night!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Meowywitch posted:

I wanna play Whittleton Creek at night!

Same! Colombia would be an easier time at night too. 47 doing it during the day time is an extra hassle.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Rythian posted:

And it's not getting better. I was hoping once they finally got all of it in one bit for WoA we'd be done with this poo poo, but nooooooo. Still way too many packs and individual DLCs that require spreadsheets to know what you get.

The game owns. Everything about buying it sucks.
People still get online and champion a (non-GaaS) “you just make the base game and release new content for it instead of iterating on the base.” Hitman is not technically that (I’m presuming the additions of foliage cover and camera features, plus GFX upgrades, weren’t things you could just patch into HM1 installs), but it’s hard to fathom the selling scheme looking any different from what Hitman currently resembles. A bunch of discrete content pockets for sale necessarily entails a whole spreadsheet matrix of purchase options.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Weren't Hitman 1,2 & 3 each published by a different publisher? Honestly, it's probably a small miracle it's not even more unfriendly and confusing

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Yes, I think it was Square Enix who published Hitman 1 (which also quite obviously had the highest production investment of the trilogy), then SE got out of the western game business, leaving IO in the lurch. Hitman 2 got Epic Store seed money iirc and then got addtl publisher support from noted assholes WB Games, who dropped them about as quickly.

Thankfully they were able to go to the Epic well again, but more importantly they had by that point successfully pulled off their campaign to be noticed by the owners of the James Bond IP, and secured a contract. That helped keep them going while H3 made a bunch of money and funded WOA’s development.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 9, 2024

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

I just played Sgail and had the same problem, again fixed by reloading, so I'm wondering if maybe my Steam Deck is having problems syncing with the servers or something...

EDIT: Actually at this point I have no clue. New York and Dubai had the same problem but I counted the icons beforehand and in both cases as soon as I loaded in the first time it was wrong, and then after clearing the list and reloading the achievement triggered. Haven, Dartmoor, and Berlin all just added up the first time and triggered correctly upon finishing them so :shrug:

Ravenson fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 10, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Halloween Whittleton Creek would be incredible.

In other news,

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vietnam-property-tycoon-truong-my-lan-death-sentence-fraud-embezzelment/

Twenty seven billion! Twenty seven billion, my friends!

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

What a "psycho-phant".

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Huh, here's a new one. In a showdown right now, and the game is only giving me 1 trait (brown hair), plus the behaviors and meeting type. No idea on hat, glasses, etc., I'll see if I can narrow it down from just that. I already Alt-F4'd to see if my connection failed. Reloading didn't fix it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
You'll be able to get it down to one suspect with observation but that is very weird.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I've had a very strange campaign completion reward: an epic weapon when there are several legendaries I've not obtained yet. I think it's possible that (continuing the "these were coded as DLC and forced into the main pool poorly" trend), the ornamental and ancestral weapon packs are not part of the set of potential spawns for campaign/syndicate completion rewards. I...really wish I'd known that, if it were the case. Has anyone ever gotten an ancestral/ornamental weapon from the safehouse reward box?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

I've had a very strange campaign completion reward: an epic weapon when there are several legendaries I've not obtained yet. I think it's possible that (continuing the "these were coded as DLC and forced into the main pool poorly" trend), the ornamental and ancestral weapon packs are not part of the set of potential spawns for campaign/syndicate completion rewards. I...really wish I'd known that, if it were the case. Has anyone ever gotten an ancestral/ornamental weapon from the safehouse reward box?

I don't think I've gotten Ancestral/Ornamental as a completion reward. I've gotten an Epic from a legendary box exactly once, but it was one of the Collector's dart guns - so already one of the most expensive weapons in the game. I wasn't bothered by it.

In other news, that bugged showdown seems to be utterly cursed. I've tried it twice more, once getting stuck on level geometry, the last time the suspect just stopped moving. I'm 90% sure I know who it is (out of 2 left), but I'll have to go back and look at my prestige objectives to see if any of them are feasible, or if I just have to suck it up. Worst case, I just abandon the campaign and I guess lose everything in the toolboxes, but those can be rebuilt pretty quickly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This is pretty important stuff when it comes to optimizing time to prestige; I burned a lot of effective merces getting an epic shotgun instead of legendary sniper, enough to undo a fair amount of other efficiencies. Very good to know going forward.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I'm not sure if I was out of legendary stuff to get from a completion box, though. I just remember being surprised that I got an epic for finishing a campaign.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Shooting Blanks posted:

Huh, here's a new one. In a showdown right now, and the game is only giving me 1 trait (brown hair), plus the behaviors and meeting type. No idea on hat, glasses, etc., I'll see if I can narrow it down from just that. I already Alt-F4'd to see if my connection failed. Reloading didn't fix it.
Weird question, but did you fail any prior mission? Maybe it didn't give you all the clues.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Nakar posted:

Weird question, but did you fail any prior mission? Maybe it didn't give you all the clues.

Nope.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Did a Freelancer showdown in Dartmoor. Every suspect was in the manor so after a... debacle that may or may not have involved stuffing seven people into a bush (I am so bad at this game)... I started climbing a ladder onto a balcony so I could knock out a lone guard and steal an inside suit. As I reached the top, I was greeted to the sight of one of my four suspects walking through the air twenty feet above me. They proceeded to march happily far beyond the level bounds without any regard to gravity.

Thank God they weren't my target.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Good afternoon, 47. We know this; your target has grey hair, wears glasses, has a tattoo, and wears a necklace. They also like reading and aren’t a god.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

Just finished a campaign to check on this - I had all non ornamental/ancestral legendary weapons, but was missing a couple of those. It gave me one of the collector dart guns rather than one from those packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

Good afternoon, 47. We know this; your target has grey hair, wears glasses, has a tattoo, and wears a necklace. They also like reading and aren’t a god.

Oh wow, they got Dan Ackroyd as an Elusive Target?