Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
50 years after the Chiefs won the Soccer Bowl, another major trophy comes to Atlanta soccer. Congratulations to the Five Stripes, whom everyone expected to win (which they did). Also going to the CCL are Toronto (champions of Canada), Houston (champions of the United States), Sporting KC (former champions of the United States), and RBNY (for being good enough, I guess). Wooden Spoon belongs to the Quakes, but let's not forget how badly Orlando City's season went. I mean, :wow:

Off-season schedule
December 9 - Trade window from 9AM to 1PM
December 11 - Expansion Draft
December 12 - Waiver Draft
December 14 - Re-Entry Draft Stage 1
December 20 - Re-Entry Draft Stage 2
January 3-9 - Combine
January 11 - SuperDraft
February 3 - Pre-season begins
February 19 - 2019 CONCACAF Champions League begins
Sometime in March - 2019 season begins!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
December 9 - Sometime in March : FC Dallas rolls around in mud puddles

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don't think the people in Frisco know what schedules are.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Today's trades:

Orlando City's Mohamed El-Munir traded with LAFC's Joao Moutinho
Phili Union's Fabian Herbers traded to the Fire.
Colorado Rapid's Zac MacMath (gk) traded to the Whitecaps.
FC Cincinnati keep Spencer Richey (gk).
Orlando City's Victor "PC" Giro traded to the Whitecaps.
Montreal Impact's Maxime Crepeau (gk) traded to the Whitecaps.
FC Dallas' Maxi Urruti traded to the Impact.

Sources say River Plate's Pity Martinez is heading to Atlanta United.

Andrew Carlson was left off Atlanta United's MLS Cup lineup because he went out partying the night before.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TwoStepBoog posted:

Sources say River Plate's Pity Martinez is heading to Atlanta United.

This is the dude who scored River's 3rd goal in the Copa Libertadores Final today if anyone was curious.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://mobile.twitter.com/FOXSportsPR/status/1071825582244151297

That’s good, right?

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Atlanta has been insanely good for the league, yes.

It will be fun to see next years TV schedule.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Jasoninho10/status/1071942156057763840

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I've heard Portland get an extra 300k in gam for Nagbe winning the cup? I can't find anything about it so I don't know if it's true.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

El Jebus posted:

I've heard Portland get an extra 300k in gam for Nagbe winning the cup? I can't find anything about it so I don't know if it's true.

Yeah, there were 3 performance incentives that would increase the Magic Beans we got from Atlanta for Nagbe. Winning MLS Cup was one, the other 2 we're pretty much not going to happen related to Nagbe scoring goals.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I thought that Nagbe had to meet those performance objectives IN ADDITION to Atlanta winning the cup for Portland to see any more Garberbucks, but I don't know for sure and there's no firm way to find out so welp!

edit: here's what Sources Said at the time:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/3309030/former-cosmos-boss-savarese-to-manage-portland-timbers-sources posted:

Sources told ESPN FC that they include $150,000 if Nagbe wins the league's MVP award, $125,000 if he records at least 12 assists, $125,000 if he scores at least 12 goals and $250,000 if he ranks in the top three in the league in terms of goals plus assists while also winning MLS Cup.

In other news, Expansion Draft and Free Agency lists were released today, welcome one and all to silly season (though there was a fair amount of silliness during yesterday's brief window: for one thing, who is P.C. and why on earth did we think he was worth trading for?

Yes I know third-round picks are basically worthless but this team's weird addiction to defenders who aren't even good enough to consistently start for the worst defense in the league is going to be the death of me.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 11, 2018

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Dallan Invictus posted:

I thought that Nagbe had to meet those performance objectives IN ADDITION to Atlanta winning the cup for Portland to see any more Garberbucks, but I don't know for sure and there's no firm way to find out so welp!

edit: here's what Sources Said at the time:

In other news, Expansion Draft and Free Agency lists were released today, welcome one and all to silly season (though there was a fair amount of silliness during yesterday's brief window: for one thing, who is P.C. and why on earth did we think he was worth trading for?

Yes I know third-round picks are basically worthless but this team's weird addiction to defenders who aren't even good enough to consistently start for the worst defense in the league is going to be the death of me.

This tweet isn't going to age well - https://twitter.com/ZarekValentin/status/1072183949504405505

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Wasn’t expecting Zoltan on that list, and Cincy would be fools to pass him up.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kbaxter11/status/1072304022994989056
probably not good news

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Shocked it hadn't happened sooner tbh

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Probably not bad news either.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

The Athletic is reporting Caleb Porter to LA Galaxy is done. Jason Kreis will be his asst coach.

Edit: It other Galaxy news, Zlatan has signed for another year with a pay increase.
Sounds like Galaxy are trying to buy out Gio.

TwoStepBoog fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 11, 2018

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

TwoStepBoog posted:

The Athletic is reporting Caleb Porter to LA Galaxy is done. Jason Kreis will be his asst coach.

Edit: It other Galaxy news, Zlatan has signed for another year with a pay increase.
Sounds like Galaxy are trying to buy out Gio.

I don't like any of the words you're saying except the ones about getting rid of Gio.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Also te Kloese has been confirmed as the Galaxy GM.

On one hand, Chivas USA. On the other hand, the Mexican national team TD and specifically behind half of the dual-national poaches that pissed you all off so much. I guess we'll see which version we get!

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Expansion Draft is done.

FC Cincinnati get Darren Mattocks (DC), Roland Lamah (Dallas), Eric Alexander (Houston), and Hassan Ndam (RBNY).
They also took Kei Kamara and immediately traded him to Colorado for an international slot.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Getting Garza seems like a pretty good get.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Acosta might be leaving DC based on his recent Instagram post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrQV2RFBYGr/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=150swizg1tta7

Edit: shout out to Atlanta United for taking the MLS cup to a strip club last night

TwoStepBoog fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 11, 2018

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

TwoStepBoog posted:

Acosta might be leaving DC based on his recent Instagram post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrQV2RFBYGr/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=150swizg1tta7

Edit: shout out to Atlanta United for taking the MLS cup to a strip club last night

He's just waving hello y'all, it's chill

Everything Is Fine

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1072581748788224005

TwoStepBoog posted:

Expansion Draft is done.

FC Cincinnati get Darren Mattocks (DC), Roland Lamah (Dallas), Eric Alexander (Houston), and Hassan Ndam (RBNY).
They also took Kei Kamara and immediately traded him to Colorado for an international slot.

Mattocks is a great get for Cincy, I think. Had a career year (people forget that he had double digit goals, and that the offense was gelling well BEFORE Rooney showed up, and Mattocks being on the end of those passes did a lot for that) but his contract was too high to be a guy riding the bench forever in Rooney's wake.

Your Boy Fancy fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 11, 2018

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Couple MLS journalists on Twitter now saying Kendall Waston about to be traded to FC Cincinnati as well.

Vancouver just got a lot of salary cap space.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

He's just waving hello y'all, it's chill

Everything Is Fine

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1072581748788224005

That's good. Rooney and Acosta are gonna be a lot of fun next year.

TwoStepBoog fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 11, 2018

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

TwoStepBoog posted:

Expansion Draft is done.

Not entirely sure how to feel about Kamara. Statistically he’s the greatest scorer the Rapids have had since the glory days of Casey and Cummings, but he’s supposedly a locker room cancer. He could also simply be stuck on an island up top like Boli was for and then self destruct.

Oh well, either the Rapids will have a great striker or they’ll be “that team that’s imploding” in 2019. Should be fun either way! :downs:

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Orlando's Amro Tarek has been traded to the Red Bulls for a fourth round draft pick.
General consensus is Orlando made a very bad trade.

Edit: lol
https://twitter.com/kwaston88/status/1072598757097832450?s=19

TwoStepBoog fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 11, 2018

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Not entirely sure how to feel about Kamara. Statistically he’s the greatest scorer the Rapids have had since the glory days of Casey and Cummings, but he’s supposedly a locker room cancer. He could also simply be stuck on an island up top like Boli was for and then self destruct.

Oh well, either the Rapids will have a great striker or they’ll be “that team that’s imploding” in 2019. Should be fun either way! :downs:

Kamara is a weird case. People say "locker room cancer," but look at the locker rooms? Won a title with SKC, went to England, drat near won a title with Columbus, went to the festering lagoon of mediocrity that is New England, then Vancouver. I don't think Kamara is the problem. (Kamara is also a tremendous prick, but he's a result-oriented prick.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

For what it's worth Kamara wasn't the problem in Vancouver and his connection with Davies was one of the good things about the team's play this year. (our locker room was still a trash fire but Kamara doesn't seem to have been in either of the problematic cliques that developed soooooo....)

I can't speak to his other teams but the cancer narrative was really overblown in our case. He was perfectly suited for Robinson's depressing system and I suspect you will have the same experience in Colorado.

Honestly if it weren't for his contract and the follow-up wage demands I'd have wanted us to keep him but it is a CONSIDERABLE contract, good luck to Colorado's FO in negotiating with him.

(as for Waston, well, he wants to go and MDS seems perfectly happy to oblige him even if he's now shocked about the supposed destination)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

TwoStepBoog posted:

Orlando's Amro Tarek has been traded to the Red Bulls for a fourth round draft pick.
General consensus is Orlando made a very bad trade.

Generally, trading anything for a fourth-round pick is a dumb. Even Garberbucks.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Kamara is a weird case. People say "locker room cancer," but look at the locker rooms? Won a title with SKC, went to England, drat near won a title with Columbus, went to the festering lagoon of mediocrity that is New England, then Vancouver. I don't think Kamara is the problem. (Kamara is also a tremendous prick, but he's a result-oriented prick.)

Hm. I’m ok with a results oriented prick. It’ll be a nice change from the warm garbage that was 2017 if the Rapids can use and support him effectively on the field.

Sub in “Colorado” for “New England” there and festering lagoon of mediocrity almost works here too.

Dallan Invictus posted:

For what it's worth Kamara wasn't the problem in Vancouver and his connection with Davies was one of the good things about the team's play this year. (our locker room was still a trash fire but Kamara doesn't seem to have been in either of the problematic cliques that developed soooooo....)

I can't speak to his other teams but the cancer narrative was really overblown in our case. He was perfectly suited for Robinson's depressing system and I suspect you will have the same experience in Colorado.

Honestly if it weren't for his contract and the follow-up wage demands I'd have wanted us to keep him but it is a CONSIDERABLE contract, good luck to Colorado's FO in negotiating with him.

That’s good to hear about Kamara’s attitude in Vancouver. Unfortunately he’s got an enormous contract to live up to and who knows if he’ll get the service he needs to score goals. Acosta and Mezquida might do it, but...:shrug:

https://twitter.com/jeffreycarlisle/status/1072581233710981120?s=21

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Aaand the Waston trade is official, that was quick.

Caps get 750k in Garberbucks, plus an international slot (the one Cincinnati got for Kamara) and incentives if Cincinnati sell him or meet certain performance goals.

He's been great for us (though the vaunted Caps defence has been going sharply downhill since Laba left, let alone Parker) but after Robinson was fired he was very vocal about wanting out so, well, out he goes. Cincy may still be terrible next year but at the very least they will never have to worry about crosses.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

With today being pretty much done, I just want to note for the nth time how excited I am about Caleb Porter coaching Zlatan.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

TwoStepBoog posted:

With today being pretty much done, I just want to note for the nth time how excited I am about Caleb Porter coaching Zlatan.

I’m sure that’s how that will go down, Caleb telling Zlatan what to do. Yep.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

El Jebus posted:

I’m sure that’s how that will go down, Caleb telling Zlatan what to do. Yep.

edit;
I'm not saying Porter is gonna tell Zlatan what to do.
But I can't wait to see Porter's and Zlatan's egos to clash.

TwoStepBoog fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 12, 2018

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

TwoStepBoog posted:

lol just saw some pics of that on twitter :discourse:

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Is FC Cincinnati really making a run at Fabian Johnson, or has that ship sailed (or was it total BS in the first place)?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I don't believe it was actually a thing. Based on what they have said about trying to be "fiscally responsible", i'd say their big day was yesterday.

Edit - Well I am apparently wrong since Koch is saying in interviews that they still want to sign him

gtkor fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 12, 2018

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
MLS website saying NYRB re-signed Parker to a 3 year deal :toot:

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

NBC Sports saying Bielsa is in the running for the ATL job because Leeds are about to run into money problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

TwoStepBoog posted:

NBC Sports saying Bielsa is in the running for the ATL job because Leeds are about to run into money problems.

Leeds having money problems is certainly believable at least