Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

Both the Galaxy and Hoops have 4 Designated Players under contract. You are allowed only three.

The season starts in three days.

Or they'll just change the rules again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

XBenedict posted:

For those of you that don't subscribe, sharing is caring:

The cherry blossom one would have been perfect. I’m sad they shied away from pink.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Dallas can probably pay down one of their DPs through TAM or PAM or SAM or whatever acronym, as they don't have outrageous salaries.

LA is another story though.

So yeah, probably we'll see a rule change by the weekend.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Yeah, 3 out of the 4 DPs in Dallas are within the TAM limit.
Unless Dallas has no TAM left, it's a non-issue

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phone...Dallas actually spent money on players? :signings:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Those pale pink kits are so loving good.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

This should be the new MLS logo.

whypick1 posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phone...Dallas actually spent money on players? :signings:

This isn't right most teams have more than 3 guys who would be DP's under old rules. The new TAM stuff will let Dallas buy one down unless they somehow used it all already?

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

A few pundits are saying FC Dallas has plenty of TAM left and this shouldn't be a story.
Also I learned today SKC leads the league in players above the DP limit with 9 players. Seattle, Portland, Atlanta and the now in trouble Galaxy are at 8.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

trem_two posted:

Dallas can probably pay down one of their DPs through TAM or PAM or SAM or whatever acronym, as they don't have outrageous salaries.

LA is another story though.

So yeah, probably we'll see a rule change by the weekend.
SPAM: Special Player Allocation Money

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I can't wait for this stupid league to start again so I can start ignoring everything political. I just want our dumb, American footy.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Philly plays on real grass, right? Because I'm watching USWNT/Japan and it looks fake to me.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

El Jebus posted:

I can't wait for this stupid league to start again so I can start ignoring everything political. I just want our dumb, American footy.

WE CALL IT SOCCER

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Philly plays on real grass, right? Because I'm watching USWNT/Japan and it looks fake to me.
Yeah it's grass, but it looks very stripey.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Crazy Ted posted:

Yeah it's grass, but it looks very stripey.

It looks like the center of the pitch was used as an airport runway until yesterday.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It's February in the Northeast and the weather has been bizarre for the past month, I'm amazed there's grass at all.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

El Jebus posted:

Lol have you MET the people who attend and discuss MLS

It’s one part football, two parts PTA and all of it soaked in cheap domestic swill

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Your Boy Fancy posted:

It’s one part football, two parts PTA and all of it soaked in cheap domestic swill

I was with you until the end. On the west coast it's only people drinking triple hopped ipas and extra fruity sours.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
The East is all domestics. There’s a reason we’re all cranky.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

camoseven posted:

WE CALL IT SOCCER

I refuse.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I'm not looking to meet with anyone or discuss anything :colbert: I just want my weekly diversion.

binge crotching posted:

I was with you until the end. On the west coast it's only people drinking triple hopped ipas and extra fruity sours.

True.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
CenturyLink field sells so many different beers throughout the stadium. Like enough different beers that they could have a very respectable selection. But it’s 90% IPAs. It drives me up the loving wall.

“We stock so many IPAs because that’s what sells!” they say. No poo poo IPAs sell when your options are 8 different kinds of IPA and bud light.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Red Bull Arena likes to do everything in tall boys. They have a decent selection, macro beers from the US/Mexico/Canada with one or two IPAs (generally slightly smaller cans).

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the proper beverage for a soccer match is one of those cans of modelo that's like the size of an oil drum

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I like the 24oz Tecates at Rio Tinto. I don't like paying $10 for a 24oz Tecate at Rio Tinto.

We get good beers, with specific concessions areas dedicated to a bunch of taps. Still it's mostly IPAs, pales, with usually one craft pilsner or kolsch available. For some reason they have 3 or 4 handles of mediocre German lagers too, I don't know anybody that goes for that though.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I’ll pass on $12 stadium pints, thanks.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Best beer in the stadium is the Rolling Rock that they sell for $2.50 for the first hour after gates open. Otherwise the beer is way too expensive to care about. Timbers' stadium has a stand called "The Double Post" that's mostly local craft beers which is cool but also annoying as Merritt Paulson promised to buy the Timbers Army a bar if the Timbers won a championship.

Piss-poor replacement for a real bar, and he hilariously overreacted when I pointed that out to him.

NYCFC is a hilarious place to watch a match because it's a total shitshow no matter what, but they have these weird little machines that pour out exactly one shot rather than free-pouring the way they do in Portland.

...admittedly I try to avoid buying food/drink in the stadium because one day I noticed that the $20 I was about to use had Hank Paulson's signature on it and gently caress did that feel weird.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

the escape goat posted:

Best beer in the stadium is the Rolling Rock that they sell for $2.50 for the first hour after gates open. Otherwise the beer is way too expensive to care about. Timbers' stadium has a stand called "The Double Post" that's mostly local craft beers which is cool but also annoying as Merritt Paulson promised to buy the Timbers Army a bar if the Timbers won a championship.

Piss-poor replacement for a real bar, and he hilariously overreacted when I pointed that out to him.

NYCFC is a hilarious place to watch a match because it's a total shitshow no matter what, but they have these weird little machines that pour out exactly one shot rather than free-pouring the way they do in Portland.

...admittedly I try to avoid buying food/drink in the stadium because one day I noticed that the $20 I was about to use had Hank Paulson's signature on it and gently caress did that feel weird.

Virtually all facets of Yankee stadium are awful for watching soccer in, beer included. I still remember the first ever NYCFC vs NYRB match I went to they had so few security gates open that we didn’t get in until the 24th minute despite getting there 15 minutes early. I’m pretty sure that game outdrew a typical yanks game and they had 1/4 of the gates open.

NYCFC desperately needs to get their own venue, or just suck it up and split Red Bull arena Jets/Giants style like met life.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jovial Cow posted:

or just suck it up and split Red Bull arena Jets/Giants style like met life.

gently caress off with this poo poo. If an MLS team can’t guarantee that they’ll have their own stadium plan with natural grass when they’re granted a franchise then they shouldn’t be in the league. Yes, I’m arguing that Atlanta and Seattle shouldn’t exist even with their ridiculous attendance numbers.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Shrapnig posted:

gently caress off with this poo poo. If an MLS team can’t guarantee that they’ll have their own stadium plan with natural grass when they’re granted a franchise then they shouldn’t be in the league. Yes, I’m arguing that Atlanta and Seattle shouldn’t exist even with their ridiculous attendance numbers.

Tri-state real estate ain’t cheap. I’m sure they’re still paying down RBA, probably helps both teams financially. Maybe we can get a little more aggressive signing folks then.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

counterpoint: nycfc shouldn't exist and playing at yankee stadium is divine punishment for their hubris

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
You'd think the combined efforts of the UAE and China could afford some real estate in New York City.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Pretty sure the problem is buying the politicians, not buying the land.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

Pretty sure the problem is buying the politicians, not buying the land.

Edward Mass posted:

You'd think the combined efforts of the UAE and China could afford some politicians in New York City.
Happy now?

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
:siren:I'M COMIN' IN WITH A NEW THREAD TONIGHT:siren:

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/1101485129887825922?s=19

This will go well.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Nowhere nearly as exciting as this saga, but Atlanta apparently have to get rid of 3 international players today

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

MLS brain: we can have 3 designated players.

Galaxy brain: what if we had four?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Oscar Wild posted:

MLS brain: we can have 3 designated players.

Galaxy brain: what if we had four?

lol

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Peter Vermes looks like a bond villain and runs his team like a cynical, evil organization and they are going to win the cup this year.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

With teams like Atlanta and NY and LAFC these days, I don't really understand why the league is still bending over backwards for the Galaxy. We aren't the league leaders in any way anymore. What I'm trying to say is, please force us to get rid of GdS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I mean, everybody is assuming the league will blink because they previously have but - honestly, it's not 2007 anymore, and if they didn't make a new rule to give New Golden Child Atlanta leverage for Almiron why do we think they'll do it here?

What I don't understand is why the Galaxy FO is so anxious to keep GDS. Why not just buy him out and be done?

(amusing side note: the Galaxy just traded 50k TAM to Colorado for the top spot in the waiver order. If this is all part of some cunning plan I will have to dedicate my first beer of the new season to Dennis te Kloese.)