Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

In 1987 East German scientists created a link between our world (Earth Alpha) and another (Earth Prime). The two worlds were identical, at first, but tiny changes began to snowball and they are now very different. In the mid nineties a large fraction of the population of Earth Prime was wiped out by influenza. A group of fanatics blame Earth Alpha for this and they have been planning revenge for many years. Now their plan is being put into effect.

Season 1 thread.

Howard Silk Alpha (JK Simmons) knew nothing of the two Earths until circumstances forced the Office of Interchange to bring him up to speed. He has since secretly traded places with his counterpart, a jaded clandestine agent.

Emily Silk (Olivia Williams) was Howard's wife in both universes, but Emily and Howard Alpha are still married while their Prime counterparts divorced. Both Emilys worked for the Office of Interchange and knew about the two worlds. Emily Alpha has been in a coma, the result of an attempt on her life. She is now suffering memory loss and is unaware that she is living with Howard Prime.

Peter Quayle Alpha (Harry Lloyd) is a director at the Office of Interchange. He is currently attempting to extricate himself from the compromised position he has been put into by the Earth Prime terrorists.

Clare Quayle Prime (Nazanin Boniadi) has been living for many years as a sleeper agent, having killed and taken the place of Clare Alpha. Peter has recently become aware of this but find himself unable to act against her without placing himself and their child in danger.

Roland Fancher Alpha (Richard Schiff) is Clare Quayle's father and a director at the Office of Interchange. He is unaware of his daughter's fate.

Claude Lambert Prime (Guy Burnet) was the ambassador to the Alpha world. He is now on the run, being aided by Clare and Peter.

Naya Temple Alpha (Betty Gabriel) is a former FBI agent hired to identify spies within the Office of Interchange.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I was not expecting season 2 to come around so quickly, but this show is so good.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
One of the best shows on TV. Exceptional actors, I love seeing JK Simmons in anything.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Finally caught the premiere. Hot diggity dog, that ending!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Just watched the finale of season one and hot poo poo god drat glad that I got just on time for this

(also this show should be aware that if you got the JK Simmons, you use the JK Simmons, because the episodes with least of the JK Simmons were bad because they didn't have the JK Simmons)

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

dead comedy forums posted:

(also this show should be aware that if you got the JK Simmons, you use the JK Simmons, because the episodes with least of the JK Simmons were bad because they didn't have the JK Simmons)

It's all about that JK Simmons interacting with JK Simmons and how JK Simmons replies/reacts to JK Simmons. It's wonderful.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I was waiting for this show to come back! :getin:

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

Knee posted:

One of the best shows on TV. Exceptional actors, I love seeing JK Simmons in anything.

It's a shame this show isn't more mainstream. If it were on HBO it would probably get way more publicity.

I watch a lot of TV, and JK Simmons performance is on par with the best acted drama roles I've ever witnessed.

Season 1 was great, albeit a little slow. I'm loving the fast paced episodes of season 2. Diving deeper into the mysteries this season too.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Really enjoyed episode 2. Bummed to see there isn't a large group of people that watch this. :(

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Mira is a rather weak antagonist tbqf

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

dead comedy forums posted:

Mira is a rather weak antagonist tbqf

I'm assuming she's going to be the catalyst for finding out some deeper thing - like who Management are and what they really want.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Knee posted:

It's all about that JK Simmons interacting with JK Simmons and how JK Simmons replies/reacts to JK Simmons. It's wonderful.

Counterpart / Orphan Black crossover with infinitely repeating JK Simmons and Tatiana Maslanys.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Tiggum posted:

I'm assuming she's going to be the catalyst for finding out some deeper thing - like who Management are and what they really want.

Yeah, I get the feeling that she knows more than Management likes about, well... who/what they are, after hunting for someone who had one of those cases once.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I thought that dude who was interviewing Howard (do we need spoilers?) that we found out is working for her, asked her why Howard was sent to Echo(it's called? the Max Sec place), and she said something along the lines of management, or someone up there, doing it for her? Like someone in Management is Indigo?

I was gonna say Faction.. just got done with Travelers (Netflix). What a loving ride. Good show as well.

I gotta rewatch Ep. 2 of Counterpart now, forgetting names of things and poo poo.

Reeeaallly late edit: Ya, I think I was/am wrong about the part I spoiler tagged, heard the conversation wrong... so anyway...

Knee fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 29, 2018

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Really enjoyed the last two episodes. He pace has gotten rather fast which I am a fan of.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the season's been good. Love the increased focus on Olivia Williams, who's funny and heartbreaking. (Her mum absolutely has something to do with all of this, right? You don't just cast Jaqueline Bisset to make frowny faces and gently caress off.)

Fight scene was brutal too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That dude’s neck getting slashed was one of the most brutal depictions of that I’ve ever seen in any form of media.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

And that "mercy" head-shot when he was basically dead from choking on his own blood when it was over.. god drat.

Baldwin is brutal.. not that she wanted to be, her "switch" just got flipped into survival mode.

Still wanna see more of her, and if she'll face off against H. Prime again over this.. or, I dunno.

Also Nice Guy Howard trying to, well, be himself and apologize to the people Prime has wronged. He could make some good connections, but man he puts himself at risk. Seems like he's making progress then BAM, thrown to the loving ground.

And H. Prime breaking character completely with broken Emily, poo poo's getting real.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I don't know if this has been posted, it's a year old now, but I find certain things in it interesting, like:

https://www.slashfilm.com/counterpart-interview/

Architecture posted:

The corkscrew building?

Yup, I call it the corkscrew to our visual effects department. “Give me that corkscrew right there” is always the thing they hear from me. The other, we call it the arch. I don’t want to get into too many spoilers, but the Memorial Arch for the victims of the flu which is this triangular thing that sits there. Well, it’s not a spoiler. Actually that’s what I kind of like about this show. At no point does the show actually address the fact that it’s a Memorial Arch. It goes back to one of my favorite things in Return of the Jedi, the Rancor master. It was this seminal moment for me as a kid watching a genre film. You don’t just have the Rancor, you’ve got his master. When the Rancor dies, the master cries for it. That’s so complete but it’s just shown as a brief moment and then you throw it away. I wanted to do things like the Memorial Arch in the skyline of Berlin and you never have a character actually point it out and say that’s a Memorial arch. We know it as creators and we let it go.

And the fact that all the actors are completely aware of their Others as it helps them develop their characters as things progress.

Others posted:

As far as I’ve gotten, I’ve seen three pairs. How many pairs could we potentially see in season one?

Here’s the nice thing about this show. Every actor on the show knows who their counterpart is. When they meet that counterpart or when we meet that counterpart is a bigger question. For some of them, it happens in the first season. For some of them, it happens beyond. The important thing for me was to make sure that everyone knew who they were on that other side so that they could plan their character based on an opposition that would later come.

A nice read overall.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
drat, stuff is really kicking off now. I love this show and wish more people knew about it. Hits the sci fi and tense spy thriller buttons expertly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That was tragic. Feeling really bad for both the Quayles. Harry Lloyd was spectacular. Love that man.

(Also really good: his secretary. She's been on the show for a while, but basically as an extra. This show has fantastic casting.)

Guess we know why Emily's connected to Indigo now (and why Management picked Emily Prime to investigate). Still hoping they get Bisset back in to reprise her role.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah Peter Prime was heartbreaking.

Kinda wanted more Lambert, though. That got wrapped up quicker than I had expected.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Guess we know why Emily's connected to Indigo now (and why Management picked Emily Prime to investigate). Still hoping they get Bisset back in to reprise her role.

Do we? What? I feel like I missed something major here.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Do we? What? I feel like I missed something major here.

I went back and looked at those photos and I think I've got it wrong.

I thought for sure that was young Emily in a photo with Yanek (James Cromwell), and I figured that meant that Yanek/Emily/Mira were all somehow related. But yeah, looking at stills of that scene I've no idea what I'm meant to be looking at.

In my defence, the pictures are very blurry.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ipJsMYg

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think Yanek saying "You have your mother's eyes" to Mira would imply that it is Mira in the picture.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Casualties among the Office Of Interchange operatives are reaching CTU levels.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CeeJee posted:

Casualties among the Office Of Interchange operatives are reaching CTU levels.

Cuttin down on those expensive pensions!

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

priznat posted:

Cuttin down on those expensive pensions!

Some of the guards at the main office look like they should have been collecting their pensions for a while now.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Season needs more of the Howards.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CeeJee posted:

Some of the guards at the main office look like they should have been collecting their pensions for a while now.

Meanwhile, Echo seems staffed entirely by twinks.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Junkenstein posted:

Season needs more of the Howards.

Honestly I think it's really shining at the current ratio, just because we know pretty well how Howard and Howard would respond in a lot of scenarios, but the secondary cast are stepping it up and bringing the surprises.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Just started watching this show, only like 5 episodes in so far. But they just mentioned that the pandemic killed 7% of the worlds population in the 90s. While that's quite a lot, it seems weird that Germany is such a ghost town 20 years later.

edit: Unless like a majority of the deaths were right in Berlin

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 16, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TheDon01 posted:

Just started watching this show, only like 5 episodes in so far. But they just mentioned that the pandemic killed 7% of the worlds population in the 90s. While that's quite a lot, it seems weird that Germany is such a ghost town 20 years later.

Stands to reason that Germany and Berlin in particular would be especially hard hit because that’s where the crossing is. Plus I bet it will be revealed that the pandemic was no accident, probably caused by management for some nefarious reason.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

TheDon01 posted:

edit: Unless like a majority of the deaths were right in Berlin

The reason it's a ghost town is because people are avoiding public locations, due to fear of infection. They aren't all dead, just staying home.

Jesse Iceberg
Jan 7, 2012

I think they do mention at one point that Europe was hit particularly hard by the pandemic, and perhaps the crossing being there will end up being why.

But yeah, mostly societal change after the pandemic, which I thought was a really nice touch. The Berlin of the other side also has a lit memorial superstructure that's often featured in background shots, but never mentioned.

Jesse Iceberg fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 16, 2019

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Sucks there was no new episode this week, but next weeks episode looks amazing. Reminds me of all the episodes of :lost: where we got to see the Hanso Foundation/DHARMA.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Thankyou to this thread for existing so I could find out this show was back on. First season was pretty good.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Episode 5 was loving lit. I legit thought Peter was going to dome himself given that we'd just been introduced to Alt-Peter which lowered his plot armor buff.

This show is consistently great and no one seems to know it exists.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I just watched all of the series over the past week or so, and today's is probably my favorite. It's incredibly unnerving, and kind of feels like it could be a set up to end the show this season, if they need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
best show on tv by a long shot. :colbert: