Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ad by Khad posted:

Early season 2 was all about ultra-light tonic brigs and the first one Slam Whales ran into killed Rocinante almost instantly and embarassed the rest of the entire fleet by itself

That wasn’t a tonic style brig. The Rocinante and that brig were built almost identically, the main difference being he had higher quality of everything by a factor of two. The lesson learned there is masterwork can’t compete with legendary.

The other problem was my wingman for the fight wasn’t particularly useful. I needed him to be on the other side of the enemy brig to keep his repairs honest, but Clutch just wasn’t capable of doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Yeah I always thought the lesson from that fight was "we need to build better poo poo"

He was running super light but I guess he did have a skirt so it might be splitting hairs to call it a tonic brig. I remember finding his douyu stream and telling you guys how much ammo he had, it was not much

"We need to build better poo poo" ended up being a real important lesson in s3 too

edit: I snapped a pic earlier of the new npcs on carts functionality because it looked so ridiculous

That npc ended up dying when an alpha lion killed the chair in one bite and the npc in the second. I hate eastern tundra

Ad by Khad fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 6, 2020

Adadad
May 16, 2008

Jackard posted:

Starbase for sure, everyone will be there

So who is going to be leading that poo poo show? lol

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Oh, well. Let's go with Eonwe :v:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Adadad posted:

So who is going to be leading that poo poo show? lol

Not it.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So I feel the need to chime in, this game is trash, the devs are trash, the people who still play it are ether trash or so far gone down the sunk cost fallacy they are all but lost to us

Do not bother with this game play literally anything else

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
yeah idk it was nigh impossible to find other players on the public game, me and my friends spent 6 hours playing and loving around and never saw a soul, went island to island just to find literally no one

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Scarecow posted:

Do not bother with this game play literally anything else

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
It did last longer than the one or two months I predicted before launch.

But I watched how the devs hosed up ARK, so it was inevitable.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jackard posted:

There's a reason why anyone said "Why is this so hosed up" my standard response was "Ark Devs"

Adadad
May 16, 2008

Jackard posted:

It was kind of fun to watch as it slowly died ever since that first wipe.... probably would have been more fun if someone else was constantly trying to stomp out fires lol.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Had an ally of mine spend nearly an entire combat phase fighting for an island and then took the island just a couple days ago. They showed up just before combat started and it took about 6-8 hours of fighting before the island was theirs, it was mostly a 5v3 the whole time, they had fun learning how to pvp

Scarecrow's post is still very correct, however. Don't play atlas

Rhymenoserous posted:

There's a reason why anyone said "Why is this so hosed up" my standard response was "Ark Devs"

This is also gigantically correct

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
let me try this again

This Post is a message... and part of a system of posts ...pay attention to it!
Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.
This place is not a place of honor ... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about Trash.
The Trash is in a particular location... it increases towards a center... the center of Trash is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.
The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.
The danger is to the body and mind, and it can kill.
The form of the Trash is a terribly executed copy of Ark but with pirate boats, there is no fun or enjoyment to be found here.
The danger is unleashed only if you try to play this pile of loving poo poo. This Game is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Scarecrow, lawn darting his galleon over the shipyard and into the sky and just never coming back down, finally breaking free, forever

Good job old friend, u did it

Adadad
May 16, 2008

Scarecow posted:

let me try this again

Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.
This place is not a place of honor ... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about Trash.
The Trash is in a particular location... it increases towards a center... the center of Trash is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.
The form of the Trash is a terribly executed copy of Ark but with pirate boats, there is no fun or enjoyment to be found here.
The danger is unleashed only if you try to play this pile of loving poo poo. This Game is best shunned and left uninhabited.

But shady said you are all having lots of fun now. lol

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Today my allies had a couple of npc crew munity, the mutineers hit a level 2 elephant which cleaved down a dozen more npcs, and when they bedded over to investigate wtf was going on the one person they left had never fought ships of the damned before and a galleon sotd sunk their war brig

I don't know why this game has cute newbies. It doesn't deserve them.

Adadad
May 16, 2008

Ad by Khad posted:

Today my allies had a couple of npc crew munity, the mutineers hit a level 2 elephant which cleaved down a dozen more npcs, and when they bedded over to investigate wtf was going on the one person they left had never fought ships of the damned before and a galleon sotd sunk their war brig

I don't know why this game has cute newbies. It doesn't deserve them.

wtf haha
who are you even playing with lol

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

exoleras raffled a free copy of atlas on his twitch stream way back during extralife and i won it and gave it to my friend, she's new and doesnt understand anything so we're on one of the better unofficials

I taught her how to find those awful east-temperate calcite nodes yesterday, she only plays a little bit so when she's offline I hang out with this other group, they have around 25 people and are comprised of either complete newbies or ex-MAGA season 1 types

they'd never heard of slam whales but when I mentioned I was in nonono too they got real fuckin mad at me

Adadad
May 16, 2008

Ad by Khad posted:

exoleras raffled a free copy of atlas on his twitch stream way back during extralife and i won it and gave it to my friend, she's new and doesnt understand anything so we're on one of the better unofficials

I taught her how to find those awful east-temperate calcite nodes yesterday, she only plays a little bit so when she's offline I hang out with this other group, they have around 25 people and are comprised of either complete newbies or ex-MAGA season 1 types

they'd never heard of slam whales but when I mentioned I was in nonono too they got real fuckin mad at me

considering we sank MAGAs fleet which in turn caused them to start infighting and quit, it is odd that they never heard of us lol

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Yeah honestly I have no idea since that was before you guys started asking me to switch to pvp

Maybe they quit early or something

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Adadad posted:

considering we sank MAGAs fleet which in turn caused them to start infighting and quit, it is odd that they never heard of us lol

they didn't know us by Slam Whales, they knew us as Salty Seamen.

Molchane
Dec 13, 2014
Salty Seamen was a good name, I was sad when it got changed.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

quick preface: do not play this game

they're wiping again next month and changing the map completely to an 11x11 with some weird biome placement

how weird? this weird

quote:

The Golden Age islands are moving to the map center, surrounding it with a high-density ring of lawless territory, and adding sparse island outskirts where players can claim island territory to have a lower-risk experience. This will reduce the amount of sailing between core islands, incite more conflict, and give more opportunity for Companies to capture and control water lanes for the upcoming Trade Route system -- but we’re getting ahead of ourselves on that new system -- we’ll reveal details in the weeks ahead!!

they also have completely new community managers, which is good because Jat and Dollie loving sucked, and a new lead dev who in the past worked on League of Legends and Wildstar. yes, that wildstar. the bad one.

I don't plan to return for season 4, I really only returned for season 3 because my friend Inara asked me to, and while I still like Inara I tremendously doubt she will ask me to return again

quick addendum: do not play this game

Scarecow posted:

let me try this again

Molchane
Dec 13, 2014
As someone who is too dumb to quit this game I am so hyped for season 4, with the golden age tiles all in the middle there should be tons of boat fights in the area. Just thinking if a company decides to head out to mess with people and they find an empty golden age tile it'll be easy for them to sail along and hit up every single golden age until they find something to fight. It's gonna be pretty poo poo for all the new players and solos that try to live in lawless tiles but for everyone else who enjoys boat stuff it should be great. They also hinted there's gonna be more changes so season 4 so will be more than just new map and hopefully a return to monthly updates.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

You of all people know what to do to solos who live in lawless, Molchane

When I'd zip through K12 and see them whine I'd simply answer, "he'd stop fuckin killing you if you just joined pochinki" and then two days later all the busted-open huts on Wayline have been merged into pochinki

Molchane
Dec 13, 2014
If anyone is dumb enough to still think about this game, the new season starts on Friday, July 3rd, at 8 pm PDT (11 pm EDT). They have not released patch notes for it yet but have doubly confirmed it will be the new map called 'THE MAELSTROM'.

Here's the post with no info about changes.

https://www.playatlas.com/index.php?/atlas-news/news/get-ready-to-set-sail-on-the-maelstrom-r269/

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

good luck molchane, hope you enjoy it

I think the band of lawless surrounding all the powerstones in the center is kinda too thick, such that going to a powerstone tile at all is gonna be like a 2-3 tile trip, but maybe I'm wrong

cutting down from 225 tiles to 121 is absolutely going to help whoever still ends up playing it

Molchane
Dec 13, 2014
i think they're adding that layer of lawless around powerstone so that if people run they can't just run 1 tile to a freeport or main base harbor, they're gonna be stuck in a chase for awhile. it is gonna be a pain to sail a minimum of 2 tiles just to farm bps though. hopefully they've got some good patch notes they did hint at trade routes or something so maybe theres a speed lane going towards powerstone but not away

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

28 lawless is a lot of lawless. maybe it'll work by making the chase more meaningful, i dont know!

Molchane
Dec 13, 2014
it's about half the current number of lawless so that's pretty nice, i was never a fan of the number of lawless and hopefully less lawless means more newer players will try not to live in them and chasing distance is the only reason why i think they would put 2 layers of lawless around golden age.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

It still remains to be seen what they're doing with tradewinds and possibly sail changes (lol) so that might help things too. Some of those modded AS ships would hit 30-35 knots and when you go that fast, two tiles is pretty quick.

I'm currently swamped with games I like but yeah good luck Molchane

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
anyone interested in coming to play atlas can hit me up on discord simon_#9431, we've got a decent sized group.

Will have a small litmus test though and low tolerance for moochers, new players welcome!

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Well you did it, Pochinki. Simon asked me to come help since the early game is the important part, and I actually managed to kill someone. 4500 hours deep, and I am a pvper, I guess. The random junk sheep I tamed managed to push their nakeds off the flag for like 10 minutes, just bouncing neutral/passive whistles to keep them from pulling it off.

"Fight me like a man, you bitch."
"I'm not a man, you jerk."

I did not expect anywhere near this turnout, holy poo poo. Every freeport was instantly full pop and at 3 in the loving morning this tundra tile normally no one would give a poo poo about has 90 people. There are lots of weird bugs though, as is usual for atlas.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

this game has had a lot of hosed up twists and turns but I never thought I'd live to see the day catapults were meta for anything, let alone ship combat

we have entered the weird zone

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
They wiped Atlas again and added in a bunch of automated farming stuff. Now you build a warehouse and farm houses and the farms will automatically collect all the nearby resources and send them to the warehouse. After that you setup trade routes with a market and it sends out trade ships to other islands for their goods. Right now the trading is done virtually, but soon they are adding in physical npc ships that you will be able to intercept on the ocean. Overall farming is way less painful than in the past. We ended up building a pretty large few bases just with the passive income and still ended up overflowing with resources without ever going out and breaking a rock ourselves.

There are about 10 of us playing right now for at least the short term. If anyone else wants a spot on our island, you're more than welcome to come settle here.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Adding farmhouses last season was pretty great because the manual resource farming is 90% gone. Most companies don't even tame eles and rhinos anymore, it's great.

This season added the broken rear end markets and they are stupid and break your tile but farmhouses kick loving rear end

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I didn’t realize people were still playing this. Inara is unlikely to ask anyone much, she’s living that “just had a child” life, which means she’s not gonna sleep for two or so years.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Yeah Inara's doing great from the little I've spoken with her recently. We had some bad blood over things that happened two seasons ago but that's long done and we're cool again.

Yes people still play this, even some goons, Pochinki HOA won season 4 more brutally and thoroughly than anyone has won any season ever and is a legit mega in season 5, but it's still Atlas and the devs are loving morons and under no circumstances do I recommend people play this game. I can't. I won't.

I'm at like 6200 hours or something now but I am also very stupid and don't be like me. My mythic schooner recently got into two scraps with mythic brigs and managed to survive heavy barshot, but right now naval is extremely hosed because the devs are loving morons and won't change barrel meta.

edit: we have begged them to get rid of barrel meta for close to four months now, last season felon sunk a green anchored brig in THREE seconds. This season felon and SDC are off on EU-PVP and it's nice that some of the racists are gone. felon when he's not streaming gives even heavier serial killer vibes than one might expect and getting sexually harassed by him is not pleasant.

Ad by Khad fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 16, 2020

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
That all sounds like reasons not to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

The only good dev Atlas ever had was Erik, who designed the roadmap they didn't stick to and made some nice changes for a very tiny amount of time in season 3 before they moved him to working on the ARK expansion and he hated that so much he took a job for Vampire 2 instead. "Early season 3" was a year ago now.