Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
I really don't like the barrel meta idea, but we haven't run into anyone using it against us yet this season. We are struggling to find any salt besides the pitiful amounts you can dig up with a shovel. We're down in A8 and have been searching all over this regions and the neighboring ones without any results. I was surprised that we couldn't even find any on islands that have cobalt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
A8 is definitely going to have more trouble with salt than most places. I'd recommend A1 or H8 lawless or D6 lawless as your nearest options, which unfortunately aren't that near but it is what it is. Worst case, C4 freeport.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Thanks, we were able to get a few ship loads from D6. That should help keep us going for a bit at least.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Let the record show that it took -718- days from initial release to them adding a new shiptype. Also the patch that introduced it is never before seen insane heights of broken, introducing several massive gamebreaking bugs the worst of which is land beds do not work anywhere in the game right now, it is absolute ridiculous chaos for the few hundred people who remain on NA-PVP (I am not one of them)

718 days.

e: turns out that somehow was not the worst bug

Ad by Khad fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 9, 2020

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Lmao what a piece of poo poo. Base cannons only and you can only snap 9 total items to it? What the gently caress are they even doing?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

It is a very different game than it was 2 years ago. Getting rid of the need to farm resources was good and ground pvp happens multiple times everyday because of it, but absolutely no one trusts the new dev team any more than the old dev team and there are still lots of weird quirks that can make you fantastically strong or completely destroy you depending on how smart you are. That has not changed.

I still have no idea why I got into this game but it is what it is. I did more pvp last season than all other seasons put together which is cool, but I pretty much skipped this season completely due to it being so buggy early on. Each of the 3 official servers hovers around 600-800 players throughout the day which is a lot better than what it has been in the past but still not a success, and PS5 appears to be the last hail mary. xbox release was actually a big success for atlas, so I guess it's possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The ramship got pretty buffed a few weeks ago and I think there are a few potential uses for it, but it's a schooner that costs 5 schooners to build so they aren't used much right now.

edit: the new dev team has complained recently that some major bugs aren't fixable because of the ark engine they inherited, which is hilarious

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Ad by Khad posted:

It is a very different game than it was 2 years ago. Getting rid of the need to farm resources was good and ground pvp happens multiple times everyday because of it, but absolutely no one trusts the new dev team any more than the old dev team and there are still lots of weird quirks that can make you fantastically strong or completely destroy you depending on how smart you are. That has not changed.

What kind of weird quirks exist? I haven't paid attention to the game since season 1, but I always enjoy hearing about silly game mechanics, intentional or otherwise.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

One quick example would be super-turning. Galleons are both the biggest and the fastest ship, with their intended weakness being that they can't turn good. This weakness made them weak against barshot schooners, who come in at an angle to get in front of them and nuke all their sails so the rest of the fleet can catch up (or you just sink the galleon with your schooner solo, if you are Banzay/Simon).

If all your sails are closed however, there is an unintended key combination you can do that will start opening your sails and turn your ship much faster while your ship remains in place, and then when you release the keys your ship starts moving instantly (at full speed, if your sails are fully open). This means that if a schooner tries to fight a galleon, the galleon can just super-turn to move in a direction where the schooner isn't in front of it anymore, and now it broadsides the schooner to death.

Super-turning became popularized on EU in season 3 and NA in season 4, and now schooners are only able to do jack poo poo against a galleon captain who doesn't know this technique. I could elaborate more but that's enough for a simple example.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgGNImWgFTw

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

season 6 hasnt even started yet and is already promising to be extremely goddamn weird

no one's tamed an elephant in like a year since they got rid of needing to farm resources, now elephants will do something else

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
They released the map and took the claimable islands and made that only 20% of the map. Then replaced the rest of the map with something very similar the dumpster fire of a claim system they had in season one.

Current theory is that they're killing off the game to shut down the servers so their operating cost is $0.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

people have had that theory since season 1 and atlas keeps getting weirder every season anyway

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
did they ever implement multigenerational incest

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

did they ever implement multigenerational incest

Nah, closest thing they did was making aging gently caress up your stats requiring the occasional visit to the fountain of youth.

The one nearest to the goon homeland was the easiest for players to get to so naturally we blockaded it during the first "Age reset" of season 2. Operation patricide was a hoot. EDIT: Someone offered a couple of hundred bucks on reddit for someone to get revenge on us.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

aging doesnt gently caress up your stats anymore but you get a very good permanent stat increase from foy so you benefit from aging rather than the dumb original premise

the patricide blockade was a wonderful time and I remember sending that guy dms offering to get that revenge and getting a hilarious bonus round

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Tradewinds ain't half bad not gonna lie. 32 knots crosses a tile in about 5-6 minutes. Without the cargo racks, galleons can break 40+

Rhymenoserous posted:

Nah, closest thing they did was making aging gently caress up your stats requiring the occasional visit to the fountain of youth.

The one nearest to the goon homeland was the easiest for players to get to so naturally we blockaded it during the first "Age reset" of season 2. Operation patricide was a hoot. EDIT: Someone offered a couple of hundred bucks on reddit for someone to get revenge on us.

Simon had a picture of it:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Why is anyone still playing this? Dys did someone hurt you? Blink twice if you need help. I'll give you access to my valheim server if you just want to gently caress with farms and boats.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

I'm not gonna claim it's a good game. I just wanted to post the pic of the thing you remembered.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2WnBHeWJ0A

game is still bad, don't get it twisted

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

So look how bad is this game because I've been watching Black Sails and I really want to sail around in an MMO

Molchane
Dec 13, 2014
Atlas is real bad and right now it is extremely dead. If you are deadset on playing it because boats are awesome I would try to wait for next season because at this point in the current season there are very few people playing so it's not very mmo-like. The bad part about waiting is there is no time frame for next season.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

the game is bad

there's a new big rp server that's just getting started and it's more popular than official is but its main activity of this evening was 40 people lining up to go on a tour of a magical ice cream factory so if you are a survival games pvp nerd you are gonna hate the gently caress out of it

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Did darkside start up again or is there another big rp server?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

darkside is claiming november but all the people I've talked to who have experience with darkside frequently tell me to never trust any date from darkside

the last time darkside did give an actual date they said March and that sure didnt happen lmao

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

friday was 1000 days since atlas release. I dont think the devs know, I only know because I track how long each season is

anyway here's this

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlitheAverageBananaM4xHeh-vIA9Ck5du8wtUnFb

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Atlas devs don't know because they're just an endless cycle of unpaid interns putting whatever they think is good into the game.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

good idea: putting new shiptypes into the game
bad idea: all 4 of the shiptypes they added in the last year are schooner sized
worse idea: the most recent one has 36 gunports and yet half the base weight of a regular schooner

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Community: We hate blueprint farming can you please revert the changes you made this season.
Unpaid interns: What if we diluted the blueprint pool even further with blueprints for the bad ships no one uses

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Don’t play this.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Simon Numbers posted:

Community: We hate blueprint farming can you please revert the changes you made this season.
Unpaid interns: What if we diluted the blueprint pool even further with blueprints for the bad ships no one uses

"Upgradeable sail blueprints are not quite ready for the launch of season 6, but we expect them to be in soon!"

Rhymenoserous posted:

Don’t play this.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

don't know why they decided to do kraken bowl so early, the wipe isnt until wednesday

but today's the day I guess. the final battle of season 6 :toot:

next season has monuments and portals and according to decoyy a bunch of other stuff. this is supposedly finally the start of the new content coming from the snail games dev team after they got rid of the studio wildcard idiots. I doubt I'll be playing it but good luck to the remaining goons that are

Ad by Khad fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 24, 2021

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

Don’t play this.

You're not my real dad. Time for season 7, I'm slowly achieving my goal of getting everyone to quit so Molchane will also quit and we can go back to playing space engineers.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

season 4: drat this company got big, big enough to stuff a 200-man attack from the largest group in the game so bad their allies instantly quit the game
season 5: they keep begging us to stop dragon raiding them everyday but we aint fuckin gonna
season 6: HOA is a mega now
season 7: HOA is the ONLY mega now

it appears this is not moving in the direction you hoped, simon

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

i cant believe people are hype for season 7

decoyy already done more for the game than jat and dollie ever did

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
So uh, hows this gonna work?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

rookie cove is a 4x4 tile map for newbies, 4 out of 16 tiles are freeports and the rest are lawless (true lawless i think?). there are no freeports other than here.

central ocean is a 6x5 tile map which is where all the claimable tiles are, this is where the experienced players live and fight

the other maps, africa and mediterranean and the polars, are smaller groups of tiles that are lawless claim (season 1 style claiming). these areas are for casuals and xbobs to live in and are enough of a nuisance to get to from the central waters that they'll probably get left alone by the big groups for the most part and can instead fight each other

the various oceans are connected by portals that you drive your bote right the gently caress through and you come out at one of three pre-determined locations to make it harder but not impossible for people to eve-style gatecamp

hey, does this mean people cant run away to freeport anymore? why yes, yes it does.

Ad by Khad fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 30, 2021

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
So the landmass doesn't actually look like that? Laaaame.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

Ad by Khad posted:

season 4: drat this company got big, big enough to stuff a 200-man attack from the largest group in the game so bad their allies instantly quit the game
season 5: they keep begging us to stop dragon raiding them everyday but we aint fuckin gonna
season 6: HOA is a mega now
season 7: HOA is the ONLY mega now

it appears this is not moving in the direction you hoped, simon

Literally my worst nightmare.

Devs are listening to us now which seems pretty good. They're following us around to see how we actually do things and have asked for manifestos of dumb poo poo to change from a few people within my organisation.

In the mean time much smaller map and a bob alliance rising up to fight us means there is a lot of content. The head of the bob alliance is a guy that roleplays as a pirate in real life and sends people unsolicited photos of his wifes butthole so I really couldn't ask for a better enemy to make quit this garbage game.

Edit: please help me herd cats

Double edit: I miss you arven and hope you and your sister are doing well

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Simon Numbers posted:

Literally my worst nightmare.

Devs are listening to us now which seems pretty good. They're following us around to see how we actually do things and have asked for manifestos of dumb poo poo to change from a few people within my organisation.

In the mean time much smaller map and a bob alliance rising up to fight us means there is a lot of content. The head of the bob alliance is a guy that roleplays as a pirate in real life and sends people unsolicited photos of his wifes butthole so I really couldn't ask for a better enemy to make quit this garbage game.

Edit: please help me herd cats

Double edit: I miss you arven and hope you and your sister are doing well

Please tell the devs that PvE content is more fun when cheesing through it isn't the only viable solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
yeah they spawned into watch us do hydra and was amazed how stupid it was so I feel like they're willing to get rid of the stupid stuff. There's no actual content anymore on how things are done efficiently so they can't just go on youtube.

We've even started telling them our little black book of stupid stuff you can do that shouldn't be in the game but we were saving for a rainy day. Just as a show of good faith.