Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about "Games as Service"?
Better than the old ways
The same/indifferent
Worse
Other (please post below)
View Results

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I just wanted to hear some people's thoughts on this. It's definitely made me buy less games and spend less money overall, it also bums me out sometimes because I only have time to participate in one "big event" (for example around Halloween I didn't have time to enjoy all the Halloween content in all my games). Anyway these kind of games can particularly incentivize either grinding or spending real money, so I want to hear what you think about them. Have your habits changed? Are you happy with them, or would you rather go back to the older model of Big Release + all content basically unlocked + DLC followed by sequel a few years down the line? Are you sticking with indie titles? Or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I remember a time when publishers had $5.00/minute "tip lines" that you could call to get cheat codes.

They did not give out cheat codes, at least for adventure games.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sierra charged, and I know this because my older friend worked for them (I heard about this after the fact). Just FYI they charged a decent amount because he spent 50+% of his time sitting on his rear end waiting for calls. Essentially the people who called in were subsidizing the employees (there were 2 and a couple of temps whenever a new game came out) goofing off while waiting for calls; it was not a money-maker for the company.