Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about "Games as Service"?
Better than the old ways
The same/indifferent
Worse
Other (please post below)
View Results

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Crabtree posted:

And that's not even getting into the possibility of governments wising up to lootboxes being gambling aimed at kids. This could end in a big legal battle, at least with the EU, that these companies will most likely lose. Either in paying taxes or losing markets in countries.

This is probably the next battle I see looming and it's going to end up being another 90s violent game rating situation where a government (The US or otherwise, I'm definitely going with EU first) basically tells the industry to clean up its poo poo or they're going to step in and do it for them and they probably won't like the results. I'd put money on having governments step in though since there's a lot more money to make before the bottom inevitably falls out.

As for the original question, I dislike loot boxes and gacha crap and it's definitely a massive turn off game wise. I don't like feeling obligated to log in to play a video game even if it's optional skins or the like, just make all the poo poo available all the time if you're going to fund things with skins or new maps or whatever. If you aren't going to take away my halloween skin or whatever after halloween is over why can't I buy it off season? All it amounts to is 'neener neener' poo poo later when they make new skins which I'd be lying if I said I didn't do in other games that do it but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if someone could buy halloween skin 2017, it doesn't impact me in the least.

I miss the days of actually owning games and buying expansion packs but times change for better or worse I suppose. Now I just buy physical when I can and hope most of the content is actually on the disc/cart instead of popping it in and having to wait another 15 minutes for it to update/install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Ah, I remember Belgium or maybe the Netherlands making complaints about it right around the star wars battlefront stink but I didn't keep up on it. Good for them, I always did think it was kind of greasy and it's a big reason I'm really leery of any mobile game announcements from big companies. I spent 5 bucks or so on Neko Atsume and that was all I ever really bought mobile wise that wasn't a full game.