Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about "Games as Service"?
Better than the old ways
The same/indifferent
Worse
Other (please post below)
View Results

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
wish you'd GaS this thread, op!

GaS has always been a negative to me on paper, although in practice it's never been that horrible in my experiences. If anything, there's usually a lower barrier of entry $ wise. Like, about once a year I'll pop into World of Tanks, spend $10 for a 2 week sub, burn out and repeat the cycle next year. Usually the game is a little better due to updates. Same thing happens with Maplestory. I'm happy with the cost.

On the other hand, GaS felt weird in Metal Gear Solid 5. Online is probably dead now, and while it was active, all the negatives of that poured right into the singleplayer experience. (The way to fix slow menus in singleplayer was to unplug your ethernet). During the short time I played Overwatch, I didn't mind dropping money on the game and getting free content without spending a single dime. Though I'm not really a person who likes cosmetics in multiplayer games, so I think I came out "on top" compared to a gamer who has the impulse to collect every single Zarya skin.

Like the other poster above me said, though, I think we need a better defintion of the term. At any rate, I think online integration/persistent services in singleplayer games should be minimal. The Sims 4 did a great job of letting you seamlessly download player-made houses from the community library without ever leaving the player lot. On the other hand, the literal hundreds you can spend on DLC is pretty despicable for a game that's soley about doing things the way you want them.

e: I think my fear about video game market shifting has been relaxed a lot when I see a plethora of good "pay once and play" games still coming out. I think there's still a large market for these types of traditional games. The AAA studios that go heavy with monetization are generally the same folks making cookie cutter games I've played countless times before with different coats of paint. I basically line up with the "indifferent" poll option.

buglord fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Speaking of kids, it's painful to see the kids in my extended family ask for roblox money, or worse, gems for the phone games they have on their tables. I get that me having mom and dad buy me Pokemon cards when I was 7 is basically the same thing, but don't those kids know that there's real, better games out there that don't end when you stop paying?