Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about "Games as Service"?
Better than the old ways
The same/indifferent
Worse
Other (please post below)
View Results

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The entire existence of Live Services is to find ways to extract as much money from the player as possible. It is rarely, if ever, achieved by offering up additional quality added content, but rather adding hoops through the games, usually long wait times or huge nerfs to the characters, that participating in the service is mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mordja posted:

I mean you say that but Warframe exists and, while it has its own set of problems, it's definitely not because it's greedy.*

*I have put $0 into Warframe and have made enough premium currency to spend wantonly.

There will obviously be exceptions to the rule. There are almost always are. But the vast majority of GaS models are designed as such.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

If Pokemon was made by any other company in the world that wasn't Nintendo, it would be monetized to hell and back.

Imagine: "Ubisoft presents: Pokemon".

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Its most likely unsustainable gamble that could hurt maybe whatever smaller devs are tied to bigger publishers betting the little guy's farms on this model. It didn't really fly when it was MMO subscriptions outside of WoW and maybe one of the online Final Fantasies, I don't see it working for anyone that isn't Overwatch or Fortnite.

And that's not even getting into the possibility of governments wising up to lootboxes being gambling aimed at kids. This could end in a big legal battle, at least with the EU, that these companies will most likely lose. Either in paying taxes or losing markets in countries.

Unlike the MMO craze, it isn't just two or three juggernauts who are finding success. That said, I do agree that it is a matter of time before the bubbke bursts.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Why doesn't Game Freak just move Pokemon away from Nintendo then to Port the games everywhere?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Probably because Nintendo is deathly afraid of that scenario and gives them a lion's share of power that other companies in the Nintendo family don't have. Pokemon is the biggest thing next to Mario and they don't want to let that phenomenon escape to leave a giant loving money void for their consoles.

Pokemon is the most profitable IP in human history.

Stanos posted:

This is probably the next battle I see looming and it's going to end up being another 90s violent game rating situation where a government (The US or otherwise, I'm definitely going with EU first) basically tells the industry to clean up its poo poo or they're going to step in and do it for them and they probably won't like the results.

This is literally already happening.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ComposerGuy posted:

Nintendo is actually the sole owner of the Pokemon trademark despite sharing ownership of The Pokemon Company with Game Freak and Creatures Inc. (Which Nintendo owns a percentage of, effectively increasing its 1/3rd stake in TPC).

Walking away would be nearly impossible. There is zero danger to Nintendo there.

Didn't Nintendo own 49% of Rare before they left for Microsoft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

OneMoreTime posted:

EDIT: Nintendo sold those shares after Microsoft bought out the remaining 51%. But even then, they retained a lot of IP that Rare developed (basically anything that was vaguely Nintendo related.) Gamefreak also does make third part games on the side, such as Tembo the Badass Elephant and something called Gigawrecker. It's more the Pokemon IP can't walk away.

It's insane how much of a bargain Nintendo got from selling Rare.

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I remember a time when publishers had $5.00/minute "tip lines" that you could call to get cheat codes.

I read that Nintendo's service was free?