Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about "Games as Service"?
Better than the old ways
The same/indifferent
Worse
Other (please post below)
View Results

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

punk rebel ecks posted:

The entire existence of Live Services is to find ways to extract as much money from the player as possible. It is rarely, if ever, achieved by offering up additional quality added content, but rather adding hoops through the games, usually long wait times or huge nerfs to the characters, that participating in the service is mandatory.

I mean you say that but Warframe exists and, while it has its own set of problems, it's definitely not because it's greedy.*

*I have put $0 into Warframe and have made enough premium currency to spend wantonly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

punk rebel ecks posted:

There will obviously be exceptions to the rule. There are almost always are. But the vast majority of GaS models are designed as such.

"Games as a service" is a vague, meaningless buzzword though. Does that include all DLC, paid or otherwise, after launch? Does it just mean nothing but microtransactions and lootboxes? Or are you railing against live events?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyway, to answer OP's question, my gaming habits haven't changed. I'll buy the game, play it, never once in my life purchase a cosmetic with my own money, and occasionally do an event, but even then, I usually just ignore the peripherals unless they're actually interesting. If it's, like, a multiplayer game then cool, it's being kept updated, guess I'll keep playing until I'm bored and move on.

If a game doesn't interest me or it sounds like a chore, I won't buy it.

Case-by-case basis is what I'm saying, broad strokes are for suckers.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 11, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

buglord posted:

Speaking of kids, it's painful to see the kids in my extended family ask for roblox money, or worse, gems for the phone games they have on their tables. I get that me having mom and dad buy me Pokemon cards when I was 7 is basically the same thing, but don't those kids know that there's real, better games out there that don't end when you stop paying?

Back in the old country, my mom would beat me with a live eel whenever I asked for Pokemon cards.

We were a Yu Gi Oh household.