Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about "Games as Service"?
Better than the old ways
The same/indifferent
Worse
Other (please post below)
View Results

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think this directly ties into monetization. All that evolving content is fine depending on how you're being asked to pay for it. Battlefront obviously pulled back after waltzing over the edge of what people will tolerate. I don't mind the way Overwatch does it because the maps are essentially free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I said come in! posted:

I just want to see loot boxes go away. That goes for both pay to win, and cosmetic loot boxes. I can't tolerate even what Overwatch does.

While I'd love to return to the "Epic Games just makes more maps for Unreal Tournament for no charge, expects nothing" model; I can sort of deal with what Overwatch does because the actual gameplay content is free and they're funding it with dressing. I'd rather that than Call of Duty ELITE or whatever.

Lootboxes particularly should only exist for one reason: Because a game has loads and loads of characters of varied designs. Lootboxes in a sense uphold a balance of design, because if everybody could just buy the skin with real money, it would incentivize making nothing but exploiting horny nerds for the most 'waifu' of characters. You'd have a 20:1 ratio for D.Va skins over Roadhog skins. This sort of thing goes back to fighting games in the 90s, nerds prioritize sexy women.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I said come in! posted:

My alternative is to not ask Blizzard to just make free content, but do what Forza Motorsport 4 did, where you bought premium currency to unlock the exact cars you want. I want to see that in Overwatch. I am completely against lootboxes because you have zero control over what you receive. I just want a premium currency that allows me to purchase exactly what I want.

What about the Valve system of just buying what people get from the boxes in an auction house? Again the gist of lootboxing is to encourage works for less popular characters. If everything is simply bought directly then it'll be "The Market Has Spoken, we must make more revealing clothes for tiny-waisted women". Capitalism and artistic expression butting heads.