Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about "Games as Service"?
Better than the old ways
The same/indifferent
Worse
Other (please post below)
View Results

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just want to see loot boxes go away. That goes for both pay to win, and cosmetic loot boxes. I can't tolerate even what Overwatch does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My alternative is to not ask Blizzard to just make free content, but do what Forza Motorsport 4 did, where you bought premium currency to unlock the exact cars you want. I want to see that in Overwatch. I am completely against lootboxes because you have zero control over what you receive. I just want a premium currency that allows me to purchase exactly what I want.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

The entire existence of Live Services is to find ways to extract as much money from the player as possible. It is rarely, if ever, achieved by offering up additional quality added content, but rather adding hoops through the games, usually long wait times or huge nerfs to the characters, that participating in the service is mandatory.

I don't see this so much with PC games, but it's absolutely a thing with pretty much all mobile games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

If Pokemon was made by any other company in the world that wasn't Nintendo, it would be monetized to hell and back.

Imagine: "Ubisoft presents: Pokemon".

Pokemon isn't made by Nintendo. They own about 30% of the Pokemon IP, but technically speaking Pokemon Company is its own separate entity that could part ways from Nintendo and take Pokemon with them at any time if they wanted.

Splatoon 2 is a better example. One of its core features is cosmetic items, yet there are no lootboxes or ways to pay real money to obtain these cosmetics. New maps and cosmetics are added all the time, entirely for free.