Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Was listening to a video on Elite news and they were talking about how Scout Sampling was the most efficient way to fight back against Thargoid system takeover. I hadn't heard of it so I looked it up, and I guess it's that you make a tanky ship, then you use sample limpets on scouts instead of killing them. And this is vastly the best way to push the war effort.

Can someone else make a game in the style of Elite please? For the love of loving god. The decisions they constantly make are so baffling and frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Cutedge posted:

Was listening to a video on Elite news and they were talking about how Scout Sampling was the most efficient way to fight back against Thargoid system takeover. I hadn't heard of it so I looked it up, and I guess it's that you make a tanky ship, then you use sample limpets on scouts instead of killing them. And this is vastly the best way to push the war effort.

Can someone else make a game in the style of Elite please? For the love of loving god. The decisions they constantly make are so baffling and frustrating.

It turns out to be impossible to make a space sim without some sort of catastrophic incompetence. There has to be some sort of curse.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It turns out to be impossible to make a space sim without some sort of catastrophic incompetence. There has to be some sort of curse.
Volition managed it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

The new FSD Supercharger is a big ol yeehaw button, it obliterates your fuel supply super fast but you can make it to a planet 12,000+ LS away in under 30 seconds. It also causes tremendous heat damage.

I wonder what happens if you try to supercharge your FSD in a neutron cone while superboosting your FSD

The new FSD interested me for a moment, since it seemed related to the Thargoid's way of FTL, but if it's just making your supercruise faster, that's not really useful. Besides, as an explorer a module that self-destructs my ship is kind of dead on arrival anyway. :v:

Now I feel lucky I never moved my explorer main one light-year away from my outbound path.

The CG made me pull out my bubble-alt and experience some trashed titans for a while. Nice and spooky, and despite coming in with tons of anti-acid sinks, Lagong's trash cloud actually proved a challenge. I also managed to get pulled out of hyperspace by a Thargoid so strong it obliterated my Python before I even could get a look at it! I was just seeing this cloud of triangles arrive on my radar, heared warnings about acid torpedos or whatever, and then my shields went down.

I then tried boosting away but died because I mistakenly believed the game wanted me to use all those Thargoid-things, like Thargoid analyzer and Thargoid anti-neutralizer. But whoops, turns out if you don't want to fight Thargoids, taking more sinks would have been a better choice! Welp, lessons learned. :shepface:

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Volition managed it.

Volition also ceased to exist, while Frontier yet lives. Makes you think.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Libluini posted:

The new FSD interested me for a moment, since it seemed related to the Thargoid's way of FTL, but if it's just making your supercruise faster, that's not really useful. Besides, as an explorer a module that self-destructs my ship is kind of dead on arrival anyway. :v:

Now I feel lucky I never moved my explorer main one light-year away from my outbound path.

The CG made me pull out my bubble-alt and experience some trashed titans for a while. Nice and spooky, and despite coming in with tons of anti-acid sinks, Lagong's trash cloud actually proved a challenge. I also managed to get pulled out of hyperspace by a Thargoid so strong it obliterated my Python before I even could get a look at it! I was just seeing this cloud of triangles arrive on my radar, heared warnings about acid torpedos or whatever, and then my shields went down.

I then tried boosting away but died because I mistakenly believed the game wanted me to use all those Thargoid-things, like Thargoid analyzer and Thargoid anti-neutralizer. But whoops, turns out if you don't want to fight Thargoids, taking more sinks would have been a better choice! Welp, lessons learned. :shepface:

Volition also ceased to exist, while Frontier yet lives. Makes you think.

I get the feeling the real target market for the FSD upgrade are traders and others who frequently station hop in-system within the Bubble (also Titan Hadad is something like 39,000 ls away from the drop in point for that system)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

I get the feeling the real target market for the FSD upgrade are traders and others who frequently station hop in-system within the Bubble

As someone who does a bit of trading on the side, being settled with a module that always gave me tons of heat damage just to save a little bit of time would annoy the gently caress out of me.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I'm pretty sure the main use of this FSD is going to be to fly to Hutton Orbital. That's it, no other usage.

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 10, 2024

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Libluini posted:

As someone who does a bit of trading on the side, being settled with a module that always gave me tons of heat damage just to save a little bit of time would annoy the gently caress out of me.

Don't heat sinks work on it

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cutedge posted:

I'm pretty sure the main use of this FSD is going to be to fly to Hutton Orbital. That's it, no other usage.

Spoken like someone who's never accidentally taken a 130kls courier mission

(is what I'd say if this one nitro module didn't cut your FSD range in half by being unengineerable, anyways)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

no idea, after reading "massive heat damage" and "makes super cruise faster", I immediately stopped caring

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Spoken like someone who's never accidentally taken a 130kls courier mission

(is what I'd say if this one nitro module didn't cut your FSD range in half by being unengineerable, anyways)

Yeah I don't do couriers normally but since i think xihe and the other CZs are always like 6k or 8k from star this actually would be worth it for me when I get in the mood to play randomly.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I think I'd be more interested in it conceptually if playing Elite Dangerous didn't already mean, implicitly, that I'm going to have other content on hand to fill the empty space with, so anything that involves long travel distances I was already either using a taxi for or using a carrier and just doing the other thing for 15 minutes while the carrier jump spools

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Cutedge posted:

Nope, you run out of fuel too quickly even if you replace every module with fuel tanks.

I see it as a way to boost out of or through gravity wells.

Basically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9peTGsMCHmk

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I love the thing, but it is incredibly niche. I will absolutely put it on my trading ships and Invasion Evac vessels, but it's probably way too impractical for a lot of other things. I can see some people being pretty disappointed, because it really should be something most things can use, but I think it's going to be a case where you either hate it or it absolutely dominates your niche.

The heat damage isn't much. I'd be more worried about the fuel usage. It's not just "a slightly faster boost." Here's me clearing almost 13k Ls in the span of less than 20 seconds. The things rips but also means it'll specialize in content where you aren't needing the jump range that much because you're staying in one area and you don't need to worry about fuel because you're already aimed at a station/have a scoop.

https://i.imgur.com/5Bheswu.mp4

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Oh it's nitrous for your spaceship, hell yeah

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Looks like Hutton takes about 5-6 minutes, spewing a heat sink at least every 30 seconds.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Can it boost you faster than 2001c?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Dabir posted:

Fastest I've seen is 4000c

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dabir posted:

i assume it's like regular supercruise where the boost is just on or off and the speed is some flat multiple of "what your normal supercruise speed would be", so if you just fly an hour straight out of the orbital plane and then boost you're going to see some spectacularly silly numbers

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

You can go from a star straight to several hundred C if you overcharge immediately. It can be difficult to slow down on time for anything closer to the star than 10kls

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Can you just supercruise to another system now? I'd assume you'd have to be fully loaded with heatsinks and have to synthesize more en route.
And more fuel tanks I guess.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Organic Lube User posted:

Can you just supercruise to another system now? I'd assume you'd have to be fully loaded with heatsinks and have to synthesize more en route.

People already did this pre-boost in the super dense core, if you're in one system other systems don't exist in the same instance even if you fly the hours/days/weeks required to reach them at supercruise speeds

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Dumb but not unexpected.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
A gentle goon on Warframe turned me on to this game a while back and I finally broke down and bought it. I assume odyssey is a must have to really play or can I skip it?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Tiny Chalupa posted:

A gentle goon on Warframe turned me on to this game a while back and I finally broke down and bought it. I assume odyssey is a must have to really play or can I skip it?

I would recommend it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Odyssey's gameplay is very shallow and its mechanics don't interact with the base game at all beyond being an alternate way to make money. Still, if you want to walk around stations and pick flowers it's the best option you've got outside of just playing No Man's Sky instead.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Odyssey has an actual game start sequence for new players, which is nice. But it's definitely skippable.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I would Highly Recommend getting not-Odyssey first and get a feel for how much you like the spaceflight aspect of the game before anything else; Odyssey effectively just adds

- Some nascent FPS shooter/stealth content, with all the associated rewards from that being "gear to make you better at shooting/stealth"
- The ability to disembark on foot on planets (the base game allows you to disembark in an SRV on planets)
- The ability to walk around space stations you're docked at
- The ability to take taxis from place to place instead of flying yourself (but you leave your ship behind when you do that so you'll have to get back to your ship at some point anyways)

afaik there's no Bundle Discount for Odyssey so may as well save some money if you bounce off the baseline game, since the baseline game is probably what you'll spend most of your time doing

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I would Highly Recommend getting not-Odyssey first and get a feel for how much you like the spaceflight aspect of the game before anything else;

The deluxe edition on Steam is $10 right now. Buying Odyssey separately is $11.24 on top of the $6 the base game costs.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Oh then yeah nevermind, just get Odyssey

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I decided to boost for half my fueltank to see how far it'd get me, and I ended up ~40kLs away with 2500% heat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lTg9NIbkFE

Yes, but also no - it generates much more heat than any heatsink, or even a full set of them, can cope with.

Situationally, it can be useful - but at this point, I'd want more variety and the ability to engineer them to even choose to put it on a ship except for a lark.
Naturally, it goes on my racer.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Libluini posted:

Not if you find a route where the gains from station -> planet trading are substantial. As in 150-200 mil per hour substantial. Repairs cost nothing and are instantaneous, minor heat damage won’t even break ~1% as a tax on your profits

The other use case is probably as a trade off for not needing advanced life support if you fight a lot and get a lot of broken canopies

E: actually in regards to the FSD boost, is there any indication that this mechanic is a precursor to some new type of activity or gameplay? I actually haven’t played in a few years, so I havent kept on top of talk about content, other than new ships

Ignore_Me fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 11, 2024

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ignore_Me posted:

E: actually in regards to the FSD boost, is there any indication that this mechanic is a precursor to some new type of activity or gameplay? I actually haven’t played in a few years, so I havent kept on top of talk about content, other than new ships

I think everyone's hoping that it's a precursor to a better version of the same thing to come, it's completely up in the air whether or not it actually wil be though

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024
You asked for it, you got it:

Supercharged space legs.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Did they ever adjust / fix the lighting in Odyssey?... when it first launched I remember everyone posting comparison screenshots where lots of stuff looked overly-lit in ways that might have technically been more realistic, but also looked a bit shittier than Horizons. Just reinstalled Horizons on a new machine and was forced to download the version that (I think) uses the new Odyssey engine, and I'm trying to gauge what graphical differences are actually due to the game vs due to the fact that I'm on a new desktop pc with different settings...

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
They improved it a lot from how it was at launch. It looks mostly OK now, some of the broken contrast and emissive paints that didn't work are better. It's still not quite as good as Horizons though: I think its still missing a bunch of post-processing effects that made everything look more cohesive. And AA still doesn't work properly.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I decided to boost for half my fueltank to see how far it'd get me, and I ended up ~40kLs away with 2500% heat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lTg9NIbkFE

Yes, but also no - it generates much more heat than any heatsink, or even a full set of them, can cope with.

Situationally, it can be useful - but at this point, I'd want more variety and the ability to engineer them to even choose to put it on a ship except for a lark.
Naturally, it goes on my racer.

As a disciple of the T10, the couple of thousand percent heat made me all gushy.

The natural state of a T10 is to be overheated.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Ignore_Me posted:

You asked for it, you got it:

Supercharged space legs.

buy a module for your ship that lets you walk from your ship to the cantina 220% faster

MiniSune posted:

As a disciple of the T10, the couple of thousand percent heat made me all gushy.

The natural state of a T10 is to be overheated.

we refer to ourselves as The Bloated Tenors

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Worf posted:

we refer to ourselves as The Bloated Tenors
Surely that'd The B10ated Tenors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I'm a Type 10 apostate, I flew one for dozens of hours and gave it up for a cutter.