Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i have a fleet of cutters :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

https://www.elitedangerous.com/news/python-mk-ii-updates-gamestore

quote:

We are excited to bring ship variants into Elite throughout the year and are looking forward to seeing how you make use of each one. Starting with the Python Mk II, we are pleased to announce that this will be available in game for Odyssey players on 7 August for credits at Shipyards across the galaxy.

However, if you cannot wait until then you can get 3-month early access to this ship on 7 May from the store for 16250 ARX.

Non-Odyssey owners will be able access ship variants from the store for ARX.

This is a pretty smart business move on their part, although it may go over like a ton of bricks. I'll be curious to see how the brown sea takes to this.

quote:

We’re also going to be introducing a new category in the Elite Dangerous gamestore: Pre-built Ships. Pre-Built Ship packages will offer Commanders the opportunity to purchase ships that have been given a significant upgrade from their base models.

We envision these Pre-built Ships to be a quicker way for newer players to get involved in the areas they have the most interest in, or for our existing players who are considering a new career path in game, but do not have time to devote to a new build from scratch.

A ‘Pre-built’ ship package will include instant-access to a pre-fitted ship, a ship kit, and a paintjob – and will typically be themed to match an activity within the game. For example, if you’re looking to jump into the current AX conflict against the Titans, the AX Combat Jumpstart package will give instant access to an Alliance Chieftain with all the necessary modules to go straight into the action within the maelstrom.

The Python Mk II will also launch with a Pre-built Ship package, allowing you to kickstart your career in the latest ship, including a brand-new paintjob and ship kit.

This is, of course, what the kids like to call "pay to win". This is the worst solution to the fact that engineering sucks. I suppose it's only mitigated slightly by the fact that you can earn ARX.

edit: if this makes them more money and they can dedicate more resources to Elite than I have no issue with either, tbf

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I'm surprised it took them this long to do this. I don't see an issue, as long as the pre build isn't more powerful than engineering can get you.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Knowing FDev they will give you a mining ship without a collector limpets controller or forget to actually give you a good enough FSD to get you out of the system you're in.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Cutedge posted:

edit: if this makes them more money
:hmmyes:

Cutedge posted:

and they can dedicate more resources to Elite
:hmmno:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cutedge posted:

This is a pretty smart business move on their part, although it may go over like a ton of bricks. I'll be curious to see how the brown sea takes to this.

This is, of course, what the kids like to call "pay to win". This is the worst solution to the fact that engineering sucks. I suppose it's only mitigated slightly by the fact that you can earn ARX.

edit: if this makes them more money and they can dedicate more resources to Elite than I have no issue with either, tbf

The brown sea is mostly raging about "omg p2w engineering" but that's pretty whatever imo, people raging about "I spent 3 days of playtime grinding this out by hand 5 years ago I can't believe they're letting people skip this now"

personally, I think it's....questionable, and a very bad look, to have a ship that you've gone on record about being "pvp focused" and then have paid early access to it, but also
- it only matters in the meta if the python 2 is actually good in pvp, and
- it's elite dangerous so "lol what meta" and it only actually matters if you've got the playing in open e-bushido drive

and it seems like most people complaining care more about the former than the latter so lol regardless

e: I will also note that there was p2w engineering in the very early days, specifically "people who really cared about PVP literally paid other people to go do the engineering grind on their behalf so they could do the fun PVP part without dealing with the lovely engineering part"

that may still be the case in whatever third party markets but I can't imagine that's still the case, I strongly suspect one specific person in this thread represents a double-digit percentage of "people who care about PVP in elite dangerous in tyool 2024"

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 23, 2024

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cutedge posted:

Honestly, normally I'd roll my eyes at this and call it stupid. But right now there's tons of stuff to do in NMS, I wanted to do some industry in EVE (which eats time like nothing) and I'm still trying to get enough time off my schedule to finally try X4 for longer than 10 minutes. And that's just the beginning of my backlog. So I'm actually glad they're gatekeeping the new stuff for longer, especially as I can't even buy ARX currently, so it's not like I could even get tempted.

Since nothing interesting keeps happening, I'm kind of relieved for another excuse to scale playing Elite down again to some CG-running and exploration on the side, maybe 1-2 times a month. I'll come back to the game in August. Or not, if they keep not releasing ships to get more money from people with poor impulse control :lol:

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

e: I will also note that there was p2w engineering in the very early days, specifically "people who really cared about PVP literally paid other people to go do the engineering grind on their behalf so they could do the fun PVP part without dealing with the lovely engineering part"

How did that work? was it like paying someone to powerlevel your character?

I feel like so many things in the game could be fixed by making it so you could sell materials on a market. Hell, put it on carriers and then it will just continue to give people reason to use them. The entire "well if you want to play thing you want to do, you have to drive around in a buggy that spins around and shoot rocks for 5 hours every couple of months" aspect of engineering is just tedious.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Libluini posted:

Or not, if they keep not releasing ships to get more money from people with poor impulse control :lol:

I mean that's been their ostensible cash flow from the day odyssey dropped and everyone :psyduck:'d at $10 for gun paint and $20 for suit paint or whatever goofy rate those initial skins dropped at was, compared to half-or-less-of-that for ship skins

it seems a bit late in the game to try to be finding whales to milk, I feel like you usually need to frontload that, but E:D has always been in a weird spot overall as a pseudo-GAAS that started before anyone had ever said the word "GAAS" so whatever

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I'm intrigued by the concept of doing pvp in elite but I've been ganked enough times to also know that the pvp meta is dumb. For ganking I know the meta is "kill people trying to get to the thargoid titan by hitting them once with enough heat generation that they just explode" :/

I miss when Star Wars Squadrons was actually active for the minute that lasted.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

peak pvp was when the regular viper was the fighter of choice imo

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Cutedge posted:

I miss when Star Wars Squadrons was actually active for the minute that lasted.

i played this game an insane amount considering how quickly it died lmao. RIP good game. i was one of those assholes that would go like 30-0 or die once or w/e too.

also idgaf about their p2w engineering, doubly so if it means elite actually gets any kind of content out of it

i dont mind collecting the materials etc myself and would never pay for engineering but ive definitely spent...too much... on putting spinning radar dishes on my ship

E: i care even less about the pvp python early access thing, and if anybody cares about that, 100% theyre looking for something to be mad at and ran out of political things to cry about on twitter

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
A lot of these replies have "Fdev will reinvest their P2W earnings into improving the game" as an underlying assumption and I'm completely flabbergasted by it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cutedge posted:

How did that work? was it like paying someone to powerlevel your character?

yeah, in a nutshell

I think most of the people who were that into E:D PvP got caught in the engineering exploit ban several years back (there was some bug that let you guarantee good engineering rolls, back when the engineering rolls were more meaningful and you had to literally scrap reputation with an engineer to re-roll because "the engineer was unhappy you weren't content with their output" or some poo poo, and when FDev caught onto it they removed all engineered modules from the people who ever used the exploit, which basically killed any meaningful PvP dead overnight since all the high tier PvPers were doing it since they wanted to PvP instead of picking up rocks and very few of them felt it was worth their time or effort to stick around and redo all of that from scratch over again)*

*this is all off the cuff recollection so someone who was more into it at the time feel free to pop up and tell me my goldfish memory is actually completely incorrect

Jabarto posted:

A lot of these replies have "Fdev will reinvest their P2W earnings into improving the game" as an underlying assumption and I'm completely flabbergasted by it.

I'm sure that'll actually be the case this time, as opposed to being paper for the cracks of all the other games they've tried to push that have flopped outright/underperformed, and they definitely won't be pivoting to yet another genre in a desperate attempt to get something that isn't elite dangerous off the ground

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 23, 2024

tjones
May 13, 2005
I can't imagine any of the players are outwardly vocal about liking this news, yet I bet the majority will own the Python.2 day one of early access and most likely the exclusive ship kits with it. Gamers really only speak with their wallets and its usually the exact opposite of what they are saying.

I haven't played since just before the last titan update due to the titan combat being paint drying boring, and I currently have no desire to jump back in. I've always said if FDev added more ships or things to do while in our ships I'd be right back to playing regularly but the early access shenanigans has the exact opposite effect. I couldn't care less about the pre-engineered ships. If anyone is just starting Elite in 2024, I'd imagine it would be worth their time to have a ship that can actually survive in combat/open from the start. I do think it's scummy that FDev is charging for it, a number of ship configurations should be offered for free to any new account, IMO. It's wild to me that they think its OK to charge for fixing a problem with their level creep issues.

I find it hilarious that FDev is happily flinging itself down the slippy slope that leads to poo poo like Star Citizen. They've never been in touch with their player base, at least with the groups of people whom I've played with over the years. These days I get more entertainment reading the opinions and rage from the playerbase than I do actually playing.

Jabarto posted:

Thats the stuff.

Consensual PVP can be whatever you want it to be. There are a few groups still playing that are based on this idea, and at this late stage in the game those players just want people to fight with and would agree to just about any terms as long as it means more people get involved.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

theyre already pairing these p2w changes with improvements to the game tho

unless "new ships dont count" lmao

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm surprised they aren't bundling up a few ship "licenses" and selling them as DLC, as in, you need the license to buy the ship in-game. I was so sure of this that I would have bet money on it.

I guess they are temporarily doing it in the form of "early access", but figured the "ship license as DLC" was going to be the new model when they announced multiple new ships.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I know it's wishful thinking but I may actually hold out hope that it could turn around and make them invest in the game again. It's nice to see these updates, especially in the midst of other troubling (f)developments like the fact they aren't updating GalNet anymore.

At the very least, if it helps keep the lights on than it keeps the lights on. It's unfortunate that :frontear: is in that kind of spot, but it is what it is. A shame they got boned so hard by those flops last year (i know the warhammer one was part of it. that was a weird choice for a game).

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Every game that has pay2win and RMT ends up funneling all of the profits into execs pockets and back into developing content for the store to keep the whales on the hook. Developing the game is always an afterthought and only undertaken after player numbers drop low enough to actually impact store income.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Finster Dexter posted:

Every game that has pay2win and RMT ends up funneling all of the profits into execs pockets and back into developing content for the store to keep the whales on the hook. Developing the game is always an afterthought and only undertaken after player numbers drop low enough to actually impact store income.

so you agree it has the potential to add content to elite dangerous

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Worf posted:

so you agree it has the potential to add content to elite dangerous

Yes, enshittification is technically “content”

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Finster Dexter posted:

Yes, enshittification is technically “content”

i dont see how it can be worse than the last few years frankly

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I think the game will see a bunch of love for a while and my reason for believing this is because of the "Slow Down" to "Gravity Well" message change.

"Slow Down" was such a confusingly stupid message for the context but was left in for like a decade. As a (non game) developer this just feels like a ticket you'd assign to a fresh dev coming on board to get a feel for things. To look through some UI code, do a build and deploy into the test environment etc.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

quote:

They've never been in touch with their player base,

Xik posted:

I think the game will see a bunch of love for a while and my reason for believing this is because of the "Slow Down" to "Gravity Well" message change.

"Slow Down" was such a confusingly stupid message for the context but was left in for like a decade. As a (non game) developer this just feels like a ticket you'd assign to a fresh dev coming on board to get a feel for things. To look through some UI code, do a build and deploy into the test environment etc.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

https://www.elitedangerous.com/news/engineering-and-pre-built-ships

lol

i look forward to them discontinuing this program because of lack of interest and not understanding that their ships are lame and not worth any amount of actual irl money at all

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
What does Incendiary Rounds on a laser do?

Also, no comment on the AX ship as I'm out of my depth, but lol at the size 1 collector on the mining ship. Some noob is gonna have a bad time.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The mining ship confuses the heck out of me, you don't need any engineering at all to mine and even a basic Cobra has enough space to try out mining.

That's literally just lighting your money on fire. :psyduck:

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I'm much more interested in this from that linked post

quote:

ENGINEERING
We know Engineering is a very important aspect of the game for our players, and we have been listening to your feedback around this system. As we mentioned in our comms yesterday, one of the things we want to address is how players engage with Engineering in order to make it more approachable and predictable.

Some of these areas we are investigating are:

Reducing the number of materials required for Engineering.
Increasing payout of engineering materials from missions.
Increasing backpack capacity.
Please note, the above are examples of some of the areas we are investigating, not all the areas we are investigating. Elite Dangerous is a Live Service game and we anticipate that refining Engineering may take several passes. However, we will be listening to your feedback as we go about this process.

We will post a more detailed rundown of our proposed changes in the coming months.

I feel like the payout amount of engineering materials is fine, the problem is the variety. There's a lot of materials you simply have to go find. And that's fine-ish. But they could also make a market to buy/sell this and it would be great. It's just more work than I'm assuming they are willing or able to do.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Worf posted:

https://www.elitedangerous.com/news/engineering-and-pre-built-ships

lol

i look forward to them discontinuing this program because of lack of interest and not understanding that their ships are lame and not worth any amount of actual irl money at all

I read this as "Type-6 Laser Minigun" and got excited for a moment.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Not Understanding Game Development might be a space game meme at this point, but the conditions for Elite ever getting better was only to do with money in the sense that other people offered their programmers more of it to do other things, elsewhere.

There is no hail mary revival coming for this game, no NMS moment, it was clearly not built to expand in a modular way and they've bled off their original team so completely the last significant update to the game was essentially a new one stapled to the old. It is the rare game that can expand without incurring a snowball of weird legacy bloat and pointing to the one indie that managed it doesn't stop it being the exception.

Time for a new videogame! By someone else!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Yeah sadly I'm largely in the same boat. It's a shame because there is something that I really like about the ships. Obviously the flight system etc. I also really like the fact that its our entire galaxy, even if the stuff on the planets is minimal.

Have they mentioned anything more about the "cool new gameplay system" yet or are they already hoping we forgot they said that

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Super Foul Egg posted:

Not Understanding Game Development might be a space game meme at this point, but the conditions for Elite ever getting better was only to do with money in the sense that other people offered their programmers more of it to do other things, elsewhere.

There is no hail mary revival coming for this game, no NMS moment, it was clearly not built to expand in a modular way and they've bled off their original team so completely the last significant update to the game was essentially a new one stapled to the old. It is the rare game that can expand without incurring a snowball of weird legacy bloat and pointing to the one indie that managed it doesn't stop it being the exception.

Time for a new videogame! By someone else!

If only someone would make it. I mean poo poo I kind of want to just work on one because every game like this seems to go off the rails by not being focused and never taking most of their systems past minimum viable product. I have a lot of complaints about Elite but it's also just the only game in town, y'know? Walking around on stations could be cool, but also what is the point? They added ground combat and it's... fine? It's not great, and again the content is MVP. It doesn't help that doing footwar directly bones the frogs so that's out the window.

I'm more interested in small changes they make than large ones at this point. Adding a new ship is great. If they show up in CZs (i'm sure they will unless they are dumb but this is :frontear:) than that's one more piece of variety. Those things are going to help more than some featured tacked on something that people won't ultimately care about.

I get that them going back to Elite is definitely a desperation move rather than them wanting to return to something and having a real desire to do active development on the game. It's pretty clear Odyssey was massive egg on their face and something that they couldn't overcome. It wouldn't have surprised me if they put the game into maintenance mode after that. It's possible that some of the upcoming work they are doing is to put the game more into maintenance mode by making it based more on automated systems. The issue is definitely going to be that if they are bringing people onto Elite or back onto Elite, there's going to be a lot of mythical man month before we see that pan out and in the meantime we'll probably see things just get broken as people aren't familiar with the bandaids and duct tape in the codebase. But hey, it probably couldn't ever be as bad as what is going on with Conan Exiles :haw: :v::suicide:

We'll see how Powerplay 2 goes.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

it is pretty funny that fdev is rather publicly making GBS threads the bed and also very obviously coming back to elite and being like OK WELL WE ARE HERE TO MILK THIS CASH COW FOR ALL ITS WORTH

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Give us our offline mode, Braben! :argh:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I just think it’s funny that this game will likely complete its entire lifestyle before Star Citizen gets to beta.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Which they'll probably celebrate as some kind of victory

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

smug jeebus posted:

Which they'll probably celebrate as some kind of victory

lol

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Worf posted:

Yeah sadly I'm largely in the same boat. It's a shame because there is something that I really like about the ships. Obviously the flight system etc. I also really like the fact that its our entire galaxy, even if the stuff on the planets is minimal.

Have they mentioned anything more about the "cool new gameplay system" yet or are they already hoping we forgot they said that

The latest news posts still made some vague allusion to an upcoming cool new gameplay system, but still no further details about it.

People on the internet are suspecting it to have something to do with base building. There's been some data mining that indicated something regarding base building anyway, but no official announcement yet.

If we DO get base building, knowing FDev, I'd imagine it has similar complexity to customizing a fleet carrier.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

If they made it so you could go to sectors that have no population, dump a ton of resources and make a base or station appear, I mean that would be kind of awesome. I would expect the standard MVP of "pay for this module, building appears" but you'd hope you could have some level of visual customization through purchase of cosmetics or something. They're already doing the system in powerplay to make it show banners for who has influence there. It seems like it could work well from the perspective of adding a system that is hands off and just lets people grind at doing something.

Hearing more details of the prebuilt ships and outside of the early access to the python mk2, the general consensus seems to be "who would buy this?". oh frontier :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cutedge posted:

If they made it so you could go to sectors that have no population, dump a ton of resources and make a base or station appear, I mean that would be kind of awesome. I would expect the standard MVP of "pay for this module, building appears" but you'd hope you could have some level of visual customization through purchase of cosmetics or something. They're already doing the system in powerplay to make it show banners for who has influence there. It seems like it could work well from the perspective of adding a system that is hands off and just lets people grind at doing something.

There's terraforming candidates just outside the bubble that would make for good community goals and they've never done anything with them.