Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
hosed up to get back into elite after…good lord almost 10 years away…only to find so many bugs and absolutely baffling design decisions unchanged from when i last played in addition to all the fun “new” ones. like, I would’ve thought that surely fdev would at some point have worked out mission scripting and payment balancing but it’s somehow even worse now? they seriously only ever made the one ground car for horizons but also put completely superfluous multi-car garage modules in the game? they never figured out that you should probably be able to jump from a primary star to the others in the same system? mission timers are still a thing because they never compromised for the sake of the game and just paid you on mission completion and it’s apparently even worse in odyssey because the bgs can prevent the mission giver from spawning if their faction is forced out of a location??? just amazing stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Libluini posted:

I just looked up the Python 2 stats on the Elite Fan Wiki. Is this real? One more hard point and some more utility slots but then in turn all the optional compartments slaughtered?

oh holy poo poo i just checked and yeah those are some abysmal outfitting options for that ship, like, dbs tier. not even any military compartments what are they thinking?!

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

i guess i’m just kind of tired of fdev’s whole thing with the ship variants where they’ve always clearly had very specific builds in mind for them but still force you to go through the motions of putting them together

edit: honestly ships as a whole too, but the earlier designs were a lot more flexible so it bugs me less i guess

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 3, 2024

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

like, i can get with that. i love a game with a bunch of distinctively designed guys (ships) with clear and easy to grasp at a glance strengths and weaknesses (load outs). playing “guess my intended build” is just real tedious for me.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

so does anyone here have experience getting any of the third party tools for elite working on multiple user accounts on windows? i tried getting edhm running the other week, but since it needs admin permissions to install and run (even if it’s not on the c drive) it would only apply its changes to that account, and since my partner also plays the game on his own user account that’d mean that at best i’d be the only one of us who gets to tinker with hud colors. the experience has left me reluctant to try again with edhm or any other tools until i can get a better idea of how possible it is to make this stuff work for multiple different users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

smug jeebus posted:

Apparently the release of a new ship has triggered a handful of people to start whining about the Cobra IV again, so that's great.

to be fair it is wild to me that fdev permanently locked a whole ship (crap it may be, but ships are like, the main thing the game has and the comically slow speed at which new ones are introduced has always been something elite’s been criticized for) behind a requirement a vanishingly small minority of players would meet