Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mover posted:

The Exorcist is a worse movie than either The Exorcist 2 or The Exorcist 3

i'm not gonna argue but i'm curious about your reasoning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

slasher movies aren’t horror, they’re just dumb thrillers.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

thriller dumb aren't horror, giallo movies

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Frankenstein Theory is technically a sequel to the book, but it’s by far
the most accurate-to-the-novel adaptation.

Reading about it now, sounds fascinating! I'll check it out, thanks. Lol that a bunch of reviews criticize it for taking place in the arctic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Exorcist did nothing for me, and I think it more or less relies on the audience believing in real-life demons to work.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Clowns aren't scary and everyone who professes to coulrophobia is engaging in performative wussery. Hug your local clown today.

(Yes if I lived in Crescent Cove I'd be dead within minutes what of it)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

The Exorcist did nothing for me, and I think it more or less relies on the audience believing in real-life demons to work.

so just believe in real-life demons then, simple as

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

also clowns aren't scary, but they are annoying, and that's even worse

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do agree with Lord Vetinari from Discworld that mimes should go straight into the scorpion pit. Climb an imaginary ladder out of there, pal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t think demonic possession films ask you to believe any more than any other supernatural horror but the Exorcist in particular loads itself up with skeptics and just the terror of your loved one being sick.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Clowns should be cute

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Chucky > Freddy > Jason > Myers

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Evil Dead 2 is the only unequivocally good Sam Raimi film.
You’re disgusting

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CelticPredator posted:

You’re disgusting

i don't think we know each other well enough for good-natured ribbing and i don't think the spirit of the past couple pages is such that i should reply to this seriously

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll tell Sam Raimi you said that

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Settle down Dickeye guys.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Reading about it now, sounds fascinating! I'll check it out, thanks. Lol that a bunch of reviews criticize it for taking place in the arctic.

It's been a decade since I've seen it but I'll second that it's pretty cool.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hot take I don’t think I liked haunting of hill house and everyone who told me it was good irl doesn’t like cool horror movies like reanimator, return of the living dead or all of sam raimi’s movies.

They like insidious. Which is fine but idk.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I saw SOME Frankenstein that does the whole arctic/Captain thing but I can’t for the life of me remember what it was. Maybe the Brannagh one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CelticPredator posted:

Hot take I don’t think I liked haunting of hill house and everyone who told me it was good irl doesn’t like cool horror movies like reanimator, return of the living dead or all of sam raimi’s movies.

They like insidious. Which is fine but idk.

I love Sam Raimi, Return of the Living Dead, ReAnimator, and Haunting of Hill House.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The best thing to come out of Frankenstein (other than being a gigantic SF hit for a woman writer in a time when that was not at all a thing that happened) is how the English language eventually adopted it as a verb

English itself is a frankensteined language.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I said irl lol. Everyone I talked said they don’t like gore or anything they like “psychological” horror movies.

I wish I had more irl horror friends.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Dark Castle remakes of the 2000s were all great and there should have been more.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Haunting of Hill House is a family drama with spooky elements, kinda a mistake to call it horror imo

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

shoeberto posted:

Haunting of Hill House is a family drama with spooky elements, kinda a mistake to call it horror imo

Most of Flan’s stuff is a flavor of gothic/romantic horror which is something no one else is really doing (Cure for Wellness was good fight me) so I appreciate his niche existing

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I loving loved Hill House and a lot of the story resonated with me on a level that hosed me up for days after. But it's hard to lump it in with what people expect as a horror flick or show. Just a different vibe. Kinda like Silent Hill 2 imo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As said Hill House and a lot of Flanagan’s stuff is a very standard and old school gothic romantic horror where ghosts are metaphors for loss and grief and the things that chase people and the story is ultimately about some kind of resolution. No one thinks if the Christmas Carol as a horror story but it’s a ghost story that very much is designed to scare in parts. Flanagan’s doing that kind of stuff.

But not a lot of other people are doing that, especially in mainstream horror. I’d say GdT does it but he also does creature flicks. Benson and Moorehead probably have roots in it but they steer towards weird sci fi ideas over ghosts. Ari Aster is doing it but with his own dark humor and extreme sensibility. There’s others I’m sure but Flanagan is clearly the most dedicated and successful modern example. And it’s very different from the gore and slasher kind of stuff that is popular with so many fans. And for some people is central to what they define as “horror”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think its not as easy for me to relate too as hereditary was for me. That movie makes me lol with how much I can relate

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought crimson peak was really boring too. I guess I don’t like gothic romances. Very far from what I’m remotely into lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Crimson Peak is certainly a fair example although a lesser GdT I think. If I were recommending a GdT gothic horror it would definitely be The Devil’s Backbone. Cronos and Pans Labyrinth as well but I’d put Backbone as the purest example of that.

In fact if that counts and we’re still taking “hidden gems” or something that’s one I think everyone should see.

Edit: it’s worth noting that “gothic romance” doesn’t necessarily speak to romance in it’s commonly understood way. But more sentimentality.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 1, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

guys I thought we were posting ridiculous takes so as to send this thread down in flames, not trying to stoke real conversation!!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
More hot takes stoke the fires.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also I took issue with the mom being fairly fine until she got corrupted by the 20’s ghost introduced in the last few episodes and then she was then super crazy and people on the tv thread said she was mentally ill. And I’m like wha? Where lol

I feel like you gotta half and half with that stuff. The ghosts can be a metaphor but also don’t make it not real either

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CelticPredator posted:

Also I took issue with the mom being fairly fine until she got corrupted by the 20’s ghost introduced in the last few episodes and then she was then super crazy and people on the tv thread said she was mentally ill. And I’m like wha? Where lol

I feel like you gotta half and half with that stuff. The ghosts can be a metaphor but also don’t make it not real either

I think the clear indication is that the mom has the shining and always has. And there’s mentions of that affecting her in the past but the house is such a concentrated collection of spirits and evil that it overwhelms her. Her children, especially Theo, have it as well but her husband being unrelated doesn’t have it which is why he’s kind of the one who sees it as mental illness and with a soberness.

But the ghosts are absolutely real in Hill House. If you got something else from that I’d say that’s a wrong reading.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No I’m talking hill house. It jsur seemed weird this sweet lady became a psycho even at the end and idk. Left a bad taste

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hot take: crimson peak is more of a horror movie than jaws

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Crimson Peak is very easily Del Toro’s best movie since Pan’s Labyrinth and i genuinely don’t know if that’s a nice thing to say or a mean thing to say

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Halloween is mid at best

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Origami Dali posted:

Halloween is mid at best

1978, 2007 or 2018? :v: