Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I finally saw mother! the other day and I gotta say, anyone who didn’t see that third act theater-walker coming a mile away is a goddamn newb. Great movie, though.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Liberal Idiot posted:

80s Horror Based on Then-Current Trends, Ranked:

Death Spa > The Stuff > Chopping Mall > TerrorVision > The Video Dead > Evilspeak > Trick R Treat > Killer Workout > Video Violence >>>>>> Microwave Massacre

Is Videodrome too highbrow for this list or what?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
An actual bad movie with a good opening scene is Ghost Ship.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

But also if one of the shadows was Anthony Hopkins hamming it up for 2 hours.

Yeah what the hell is the deal with that performance? He somehow stands out as a weirdo in a movie full of weird performances.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Along with the theater aesthetic was Coppola's idea about how "the costumes ARE the sets". So the movie is like if a stage play had unlimited big Hollywood movie budget to make the most lavish and detailed costumes imaginable. With costumes like that you need performances to stand up to them.

Love that muscle armor.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Sometimes I think “enough already, we get it. You like TCM and Spider Baby” but then I remember that he grew up in some sort of redneck nightmare carnival and that’s probably just who he is.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

There's a pretty good one in Congo.

Congo is actually a movie I'd like to see a UHD release for, that hippo scene is a prime example of where it would benefit from HDR and as much as people mock the ape effects in that movie they're all practical so in 4k they'd still look the same as they always have.

I have a weird soft spot for that movie and book because I read King Solomons Mines before I read Congo and it was the first time I realized that you could rework a book into a different story like that. It blew my dumb little kid mind.

Also Bruce Campbell is in the movie, so that’s fun.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'm a little late on zombie social commentary chat but it's important to remember that 95% of the time, when there's an obvious parallel to police/military abuse in zombie media and the zombies are framed as a metaphor for minorities or just the proletariat, the movie wants you to feel bad about it, and is very very obviously not endorsing it. That 5% that thinks soldiers shooting thousands of unarmed civilians is badass does exist but they're all really bad movies.

Like almost every good zombie movie has man as the real monster, and a huge number of them have the military, the police, and people in positions of authority who can decide life and death in general turn out to be the worst of them all.

That doesn't mean you can't have a cop be the protagonist of a zombie movie without it being some weird blue lives matter ethnic cleansing fantasy.

Yeah I felt like people were overstating the murder-fantasy angle a bit a few pages ago but I didn't really want to argue. :effort: You see way more scenes about caring for a sick and dying loved one than overt survivalist fantasy. I'll also add (and maybe it doesn't need to be said, it's pretty obvious) that a significant part of the horror element in zombie movies is body horror. Festering wounds, body parts rotting off, etc. There's also a significant element of the uncanny in a lot of zombie movies -the weird existential suggestion that humans are just meat puppets. A zombie is just a human meat puppet possessed of life but lacking free-will. Actually, the zombie may be better off because most of the time zombies lack consciousness, so at least they aren't cursed with ability to know that they're just meat-puppets. No one's really having fantasies about being devoid of burden of consciousness though. Well, maybe if your Thomas Ligotti or some other weirdo.

In conclusion zombie movies are a land of contrasts.

edit: I guess a more concise way to say all that crap I just rambled on about is that zombie movie's don't necessarily have to look outward and comment on society, they can also look inward and comment on ourselves.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 15, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Doctor Faustine posted:

What scene from Lake Mungo are we talking about? I saw it a while back but I don’t remember anything from it that I’d consider That Scene.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's surprising. It's not a moment easily forgotten.

It's when she's confronted by her dead self through her cell phone camera.

I’m going to have to commiserate with Doctor Faustine on this one. I liked Lake Mungo well enough but it didn’t make a huge impression on me, not like it did to a lot of other people in this thread anyway.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Anyone who’s actually thrown an ape in to lava knows that they don’t sink in real fast like that. They kind of land on it almost like it’s a solid surface, then burst into flames (screaming horribly all the while, of course).

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Popelmon posted:

Does Inferno hold the record for most cats thrown at an actor in a horror movie? Or are there any other contenders?

Freaking Bava going on about how he’d never work with cats again after being on that movie. Cats are great, just don’t throw them constantly.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

andelazo posted:

Anyone with short film recommendations? Rewatched The Pledge and am gonna spend some time on shorter stuff tomorrow. Whistle and I’ll Come to You in top spot atm.

Is Whistle and I’ll Come to you the best sheet-ghost in horror?

Tell me of other terrifying sheet-ghosts, if they exist.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Technically not a ghost.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Does anybody else want to share some B-movies you've seen recently that surprised you with how good they were? This year I finally got around to seeing Waxwork, and I was blown away by the criminally neglected Class of 1999.

I love that part in Class of 1999 where you get a terminator vision view from on of the android teachers and the combat options are something like

1. Punches
2. Kicks
3. Karate moves

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Good, but not a ghost.

Almost. This is very familiar, so I’m guessing I’ll be lmaoed at, but what is it from?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

oh, duh.

:shepicide:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is this screen from The Pledge or Whistle and I'll Come to You? Probably doesn't matter as I'll check out both. I noticed the latter is on Amazon Prime with John Hurt, from 2010, is that the right one?

No, that’s the remake. I remember thinking it was ok, but it’s not the classic. You want the 1968 black and white version, the remake doesn’t even have a freaking whistle in it for gods sake.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I have a graphic here to help illustrate what I mean by sheet ghost:

👻

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

:ghost: Pretty decent sheet ghost.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Autopsy of Jane Doe

I guess it’s really just a haunted house movie when you get down to it but strictly speaking it’s more of a witch movie.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe Dawn of the Dead? I honestly can't remember if it comes up in NotLD or not, but I don't think so.

The daughter dies and comes back in NOTLD from a bite right?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
-The horniness of fishmen was originated in Creature from the Black Lagoon (probably, are there earlier examples?). Now, a horny fishman has an Oscar

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The female gremlin seemed nice.

I guess

:wink:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Lovecraft wrote an entire novella about the horniess of fishmen resulting in ugly New Englanders in 1936.

As a metaphor for the evils of race mixing of course.

I forgot about those horny fishmen.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

deety posted:

I agree with you about full-length miniseries for the most part, but Salem's Lot is a little different. The 3+ hour version takes an hour for the vamp stuff to really get rolling. The first hour is mostly character introductions and filler, including setup for a subplot that involves none of the main characters and has nothing to do with the larger story arc.

The shorter theatrical cut was also planned from the start for them to show in Europe, and it includes gorier versions of some of the attack scenes.

I’ve only seen the full length mini series, but even that moved at a better pace than the novel. There’s a huge chunk in the novel where all the principal characters know that the towns being slowly taken over by vampires, and they still spend daylight hours rambling about Varney the Vampire and german serial killers and not staking vampires. They loving make stakes with a lathe like they’re in wood shop. I swear there’s a part where they leave to go scout vampire nests and they leave at like 2 PM. There’s weirdly no urgency and it comes off as bizarre. Doubly bad is that by that time the main characters are all you have left basically, all the wacky small town King characters are dead by then. At least the mini series didn’t make me as frustrated as the book did.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Feeling pretty 2005 reading an argument about Paris Hilton.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

The Jo Bob Briggs marathon is tonight.

I have to drive 11 hours on Saturday so I guess I miss it again. One of these days I’ll catch it live.

Franchescanado posted:

Look what my friend gave me for Christmas:

:popeye:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It’s ok. The yule log is just balsa wood and a bicycle seat.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Messiah of Evil is gooder than hell.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It Follows, Get Out, The Vvitch, Let the Right One In, Train to Busan (foreign and has subtitles if that's a dealbreaker).

In Zombieland and Krampus a dog is implied to have died off screen but it later turns out they did not.

Everyone should watch The Vvitch but that doesn’t fit their criteria.

e:

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 24, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Tolkien minority posted:

Looking for horror book recommendations, I’ve been trying to read more lately. I read The Haunting Hill House and We Have Always Lived in the Castle this week and really liked them both. In the past the only stuff I’ve read that’s horror related has been Steven King and I gotta be honest, I don’t really like his books. So stuff more like Shirley Jackson and less like Steven King. What are some 20th century classics of the genre? I know this came up in the last thread at some point.

If you want just a pile of good horror short stories I really can’t recommend The Weird enough: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Weird

It’s also all 20th-21st century. Though, frankly no one is in Jackson’s league imo.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 25, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I didn’t think deeply enough about Terrifier to call it “vile”, but I would definitely call it shallow. Once you strip the extremely talented special effects, the actual plot and non-Art acting is pretty worthless and generic.

There are a lot of slashers that fit this description. Terrifier is as brainless as any 80’s slasher boom cash in, thats what I liked about it. I certainly understand calling it shallow and misogynistic, but it’s a straight to Netflix clown murder movie. I’m not sure where the difference is between that movie and The Mutilator, which has far worse acting, good gore effects, and a grotesque scene that rivals anything in Terrifier. I’m not sure I can fault a slasher for having it’s killer terrorize a bunch of women either, frankly. The genre was broadly condemned for being misogynistic until Carol Clover rehabilitated it.

Kvlt! posted:

well that's fair

i've said it before and I've said it again: terrifier sucked because it had blood as this viscous pitch-black syrup. unless they live an an alternative world where humans have motor oil for blood it just wasn't even semi-realistic.

Evil Dead 2?

??

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
To me Childs Play 1 is better because it’s the only one to work with the doll as a creepy uncanny thing rather than just a weird little goblin.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Gejimayu posted:

Accidentally forgot to bookmark the new thread and havent lurked in 25 pages. Can someone sum up what I've missed?

Conclusive evidence that Jason X is the best F13 movie was posted and everyone agreed, especially Lurdiak. It was a Christmas miracle.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Watched Cam last night and thought it was ok, kind of like a long ep of Black Mirror with different accents. Good call not over explaining the villain, I think it would of veered into cheese if they had included a bunch of exposition.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

wyoming posted:

This world just wasn't good enough for a Tobe Hooper Spiderman.

In retrospect a Sam Raimi Spiderman is kind of weird as well

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Scrapping Miller is almost always a good idea.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’ll cop to liking him on snl and Dennis Miller Live back in the day but he’s poisonous to movies. Also, I suspect that the Tears for Fears song probably tricked me into liking Dennis Miller Live.

edit: I mean it’s pretty sweet:
https://youtu.be/ekCQyQXpQKs

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Windows 98 posted:

Does Joe Bob Briggs have a Twitter so I can personally apologize to him for disliking him for so long while never actually sitting down to watch him host anything. I still feel bad about being so Anti-Joe Bob. I was so very very wrong.

I’m just now watching his hosting of Ravager and was thinking how much more enjoyable the movie is with his commentary.