Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Jason Lives is the best one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
New thread, someone post that Vincent Price wine tasting gif, or that collage of all his various faces as he tastes the wine.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

You guys are not doing a good job on this first page.

This is actually a totally appropriate Lurdiak post for the first page, gives potential new posters an idea of what they can expect.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Suspiria was my first Argento(as I'm sure it is with a lot of people), and that close-up of the heart stabbing is one hell of a tone-setter. I was immediately like ok drat this Argento guy goes places American directors won't.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

I'm glad we didn't even get to page 3 before someone was a huge rear end in a top hat to me. Keeping the spirit of the horror thread alive.

You should try to be a more bland and forgettable poster like me. Nobody ever says I suck.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

All that has to happen now is Jedit taking another tired and passive-aggressive jab at me and it'll be just like the old one!

It's a new thread and a fresh start. Nobody remembers what you were before, now you're Evil Bong guy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Best opening scene is definitely tougher because horror directors know that if they can grab your attention right away they've got you for the whole movie. There's a ton of good options, very hard to choose a favorite.

One that comes to mind right away is Black Sunday.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bluedeanie posted:

Coppola's Dracula opener is pretty memorable and does a perfect job estsblishing the tone and aesthetic the rest of the film follows, but I am reluctant to call it or any other aspect of that film "good."

You're absolutely right, Coppola's Dracula isn't good. It's great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Yeah it’s like if you could translate the feeling of watching a shadow lantern to a filmed narrative.

But also if one of the shadows was Anthony Hopkins hamming it up for 2 hours.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah what the hell is the deal with that performance? He somehow stands out as a weirdo in a movie full of weird performances.

In the DVD special features they talk specifically about that weirdo moment at the front door where Hopkins dances with Mina for a moment and acts all creepy. It seems like it wasn't really any more complicated than Hopkins going to Coppola during rehearsals and saying "hey I'm gonna try it like this". And Coppola just let him do whatever because he knew what kind of movie he was trying to make, he knew to trust Hopkins instincts.

Here's the clip actually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n6ewp9N0dE

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 12, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

I remember Coppola saying he was trying to invoke the theater technique style of the old 30s era films when they were still working out learning film as a medium. Hopkins performance worked for me in the angle of Van Helsing likely studying all sorts of old lore probably would be on the edge of failing a sanity roll here and there.

Along with the theater aesthetic was Coppola's idea about how "the costumes ARE the sets". So the movie is like if a stage play had unlimited big Hollywood movie budget to make the most lavish and detailed costumes imaginable. With costumes like that you need performances to stand up to them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

Love that muscle armor.

Seriously, can you imagine another actor in those scenes who doesn't have the insane talent of Gary Oldman? They could've fallen completely flat. In fact, Oldman himself seemed to really not be feeling it and the behind the scenes clips I've seen make him look very worried that he was gonna end up in a total embarrassment.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Zombie is my personal favorite horror director currently working, but for me he's stagnating as a filmmaker. He made Lords of Salem(a near masterpiece) in 2012. So that's six years now of trying to get the next movie made, failing, deciding to slap together 31 basically on a whim, then making the decision to do another Firefly sequel for the next one.

It's just worrying as a fan, he's not getting any younger and it seems like eventually he's gonna just decide that movie making isn't worth the trouble anymore. It's never been where his bread is buttered anyway. And that would be such a shame because I really thought that after Lords of Salem we had at least a few great horror movies to look forward to from him before it was all said and done. Now I'm not so sure.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Shin Godzilla really does have some scenes in it that are like Dr. Strangelove level comedy. Like when they give the order to fire on Godzilla, and then the order has to be filtered through like 8 different random staffers with ridiculous titles, and even THEN when the order comes through to the crew inside the heli it still has to be conveyed from like the pilot to the co-pilot. You don't see satire like that anymore.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly I think Jackson's entire body of work played a part in convincing the studio to trust him. If he'd never branched out from splatter horror films, no I don't think they'd have taken him seriously. If he'd only done low budget art films like Heavenly Creatures, no I don't think they'd have thought he was capable of handling the big budget. But he'd shown impressive versatility and then yea I do think Frighteners showed them that he could work within the studio system and handle shooting with CGI effects.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Miramax/Disney didn’t want to pull the trigger on two movies with around $100 million dollars (someone who’s read DisneyWar more recently than me can jump in and correct me) between both of them because they thought it wasn’t going to succeed, even though Harvey (ugh) was assuring them it would be a good idea. After they passed, New Line gave him 3 movies at $100 million each. People were skeptical, but New Line took a chance and won out big time.

Looking back on it, that was such a great time to be a movie lover and I'm sure other studios in hindsight were like "wtf were we thinking?"

Not just LOTR, but LOTR was the prime example of how CGI was opening up this entire new universe of possibilities for blockbuster filmmaking. Filming on Fellowship of the Ring began in 1999, so we're still less than a decade out from Jurassic Park. LOTR was this behemoth story that for a long time had been considered unfilmable for obvious reasons. So with all the new tools at their disposal, you'd think multiple studios would've been competing to make the movies after it became clear that these entire alternate worlds could now be realized on-screen.

Sure, it's old hat now, there's very little novelty left in CGI effects. But I definitely remember what it was like when it was new and each new adaptation of a classic story had amazing possibilities because of how much special effects had taken a leap forward with CGI.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=297454&org=NSF&from=news

Uh oh, two people die in a fire at McMurdo Station....

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Question: are there any holiday or Christmas themed giallos? Or something close enough?

I think we figured out that the opening of Argento's Deep Red(so the origin of the killer basically) takes place during Christmas season, there's a tree in the scene.

Other than that no, I don't think there were any.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Not sure I'd call Black Christmas a giallo but I could see how it could scratch the itch. I haven't seen Deep Red tho I've been meaning to forever so I'm definitely gonna watch that one! Thanks everyone!

Yea watch Deep Red regardless, it's a must watch. In some ways I prefer it to Suspiria actually, it has plenty of vivid color too but it's a more grounded story. And it has Daria Nicolodi, which a big mark in any movie's favor for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

I think that's more true with regards to the latter movie you mentioned. I mean it is tragic what Jacob went through in Vietnam, but at the end you get the feeling he is genuinely going to heaven or at least a happy "hereafter" with his son, whereas in Pam's Labyrinth there's always that question (to me at least) of whether the fantasy parts are real or whether they are just a little girl's way of coping with massive trauma They're both bittersweet and feature themes of tragedy and redemption, and both excellent movies.

It's an interesting mirror that I think Del Toro holds up in front of the audience and at the end there what I think we're seeing is a reflection of ourselves more than anything else. In a world that can be so hateful and unjust, do you believe there's something beyond that? Can an innocent person truly transcend their lovely circumstances and break free into a better world? Or is it all a fleeting vision that will blink out of existence as soon as the heart stops beating?

I've changed over the years and so my opinion when I watch the movie has too. And the entire movie is crafted to allow for that, which for me is the true genius of what Del Toro did with Pans Labyrinth.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Anyone here ever seen Burning Bright? It's a horror/thriller about a woman trapped in a house with a Bengal Tiger, I've read some good things about it but never had the chance to see it. It's a paid rental right now in Amazon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Peppermint just came out.

Are you posting there because you're saying it was horrifically bad?

because if so, I disagree, I thought it was a bit better than its reviews)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The show was pretty clear in showing that Darryl and his brother didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things. I mean, he loved him because he was his brother but its obvious they were very very different people. I certainly wouldn't assume that he was a saint before we meet him in the show, but it's definitely a stretch to assume he was a neo-nazi.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

This is a serious question: What is everyone's dream/unique take on found footage they'd like to see?

I really enjoy stuff about cryptid animals, something along those lines ala Troll Hunter would be my dream found footage. Like maybe start the movie in a research sub with your main character getting some good footage of Nessie, then maybe build to a really tense finale inside the den of a Sasquatch.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Last thread we spent a day pitching a giant killer hippo movie, so that's my dream found footage film.

Hippos are so under represented in movies that I would almost say found footage would be a wasted opportunity. I'd like to see a legit creature feature similar to Lake Placid or Primeval.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I still remember that scene in Alan Quartermain where that hippo hosed that guy up.

There's a pretty good one in Congo.

Congo is actually a movie I'd like to see a UHD release for, that hippo scene is a prime example of where it would benefit from HDR and as much as people mock the ape effects in that movie they're all practical so in 4k they'd still look the same as they always have.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mean, Ernie Hudson hasn't even been brought into the conversation yet, so yea, Congo is good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

The House That Jack Built is overrated.

I watched it last night.

It was ok. I will say that I don't think the talk about the disturbing content is overrated, I mean Von Trier definitely is willing to go places that most others aren't. But other than that, as a movie, there's just not a whole lot there. And I actually think that's part of the point, Dillon is portraying an empty husk of a person and you really don't gain any real understanding of him by the end of the film. He has these compulsions and he doesn't fight them or really even care to examine them. Bruno Ganz is in the movie I guess to serve that purpose, to challenge Jack's perception of himself, but that part never really lands imo.

It's an excellent performance by Dillon though, probably worth watching just for him. The nothingness is definitely impressive just in how consistent he is with it, although I suppose you could argue it's a somewhat shallowly written character. A bit one-note, but he does it well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

People in lovely monkey suits clearly jumping instead of tumbling down in bad cgi-lava.

They're jumping because their homes are engulfed in flames, they're leaping to escape the flames.

Anyway you clearly hate fun.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Whether you like Congo or not, you have to respect successfully pulling off “third act laser/ape battle.”

Look, around here we don't poo poo killer apes, lasers, Tim Curry, animatronic main characters, Ernie Hudson, volcanic eruptions, dudes dropping dead "of fright", Bruce Campbell, hippo attacks, gorilla skydiving, and Laura Linney badass one-liners. We celebrate these things.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tolkien minority posted:

I actually didn’t really like lake Mungo because I found it slow and sad and not scary at all for like 99% of it, but I’m not gonna lie the big scene still got me pretty good it’s a very well done scare. One scare doesn’t make a movie for me though

Yea if I were recommending Lake Mungo to someone I'd try to warn them in advance that like 90% of it is a slow-burn faux documentary, it's not the kind of thing that I'm always in the mood for. The payoff is an all-time great horror scene but you have to make it there fully invested and if you're just sitting there bored waiting for it to happen it probably won't land nearly as hard.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stink Billyums posted:

I've seen Lake Mungo and have no idea what scene is being referenced.

There's a scene towards the end that shows you what the daughter had been freaked out about before her death and it's extremely well done.

Not even putting specifics under the spoiler tags just to be safe.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 17, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not sure how to say this without risking spoilers, but the scene in Lake Mungo was so memorable that years later it kinda ruined a similar but also well done twist in another piece of horror media that I watched because I saw it coming way too far in advance. I guess if you've seen both you'll probably be able to guess what I'm talking about.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Does anybody else want to share some B-movies you've seen recently that surprised you with how good they were? This year I finally got around to seeing Waxwork, and I was blown away by the criminally neglected Class of 1999.

You seen Horror Express yet?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

If you were a true horror fan you'd know that the ghost is possessing the person who's under the sheet, so technically the ghost is doing the killing (and wearing the sheet).

Pazuzu ain't no ghost. It would probably drain your entire blood supply into little jars just for making the comparison.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

It's not Pazuzu, it's the Gemini Killer :colbert:

Oh yea, I forgot Pazuzu is just the one who sends him back to gently caress with Karras. Forgot that detail.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

Sorry, full of dumb questions today: What zombie movie was the first to codify the 'any wound turns you into a zombie' trope?

Maybe Dawn of the Dead? I honestly can't remember if it comes up in NotLD or not, but I don't think so.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

The fun thing about zombie movies--and correct me if I'm wrong--but the general perception of zombies vocally craving brains comes from Return of the Living Dead, and nothing else.

It also trickled down to the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror zombie episode, don't underestimate how iconic some of those earlier episodes where.

I don't remember the girl in NotLD turning because of the bite but I suppose it just was not really emphasized.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Complain about ADR all you want but if they didn't use it we probably wouldn't have John Saxon in so many Italian films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Spider Covets posted:

God I love The Shining. It's one of those films where you notice something new every time. This last watch, I noticed that in the ballroom scene, wherein almost no one in the background is actually talking, the band isn't playing, either. Little details like that add so much to further viewings.

2001 came out on UHD this week and it was amazing, but while I was watching it I couldn't help but think The Shining would also be spectacular in UHD. The Overlook would totally pop off the screen with all the various carpeting and the wallpaper and then the snowy exteriors, the ballroom, just everything.