Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Okay, time to rank em:
Phantasm >> Phantasm III > Phantasm II > Phantasm IV >> Phantasm V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

TheKingslayer posted:

Move Phantasm II to the front of the line and then you have my list.

Me, to anyone who would claim any film other than Phantasm as the best in the franchise

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I think people liked Hell House LLC 2.

Swing and a miss there, I heard nothing but bad things from people who were baffled it was made by the same team as the first.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Ah, I was just going off what I remembered reading since I didn't like the first one enough to watch the sequel.

Hell, same, first one did nothing for me.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

gey muckle mowser posted:

is Scream too obvious?

It’s only obvious because it’s the correct answer. Halloween is a strong contender.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

M_Sinistrari posted:

Since we're talking on favorite opening and ending scenes, what about favorite trailers for movies? Here's some of my faves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWS4tTzs60

Also a strong contender for best opening scene, in which an ATM calls Stephen King an rear end in a top hat.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait a minute...how old are you? :stare:

Don’t worry, I’m older than I look ;-*

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'll have to check out Shin Godzilla, but most other Godzilla titles are action comedies as if Jackie Chan was in that suit.

Shin Godzilla is pretty funny, but most of the jokes are leveled at the bureaucracy and inefficiency of the government during a true emergency. The Godzilla scenes themselves are devastating but extremely badass.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What else you got in mind?

There is one very effective scare during the horror movie portion of Gymkata.

Jedit posted:

Peter Jackson is going to remaster his first four movies using the restoration technique used on the World War 1 footage for They Shall Not Grow Old. That includes Bad Taste and Braindead.

And Heavenly Creatures! I haven’t seen that movie in forever!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

Heavenly Creatures is what they say "won" him LotR, but I have a strong suspicion that Dead Alive's party scenes--with the large amount of special effects, choreography, stunts, and sheer amount of zombies--is what secretly convinced the suits to give him LotR. It's easy to look at those scenes and say "Oh yeah, they guy could totally pull off large battles with orcs and elves and poo poo."

Miramax/Disney didn’t want to pull the trigger on two movies with around $100 million dollars (someone who’s read DisneyWar more recently than me can jump in and correct me) between both of them because they thought it wasn’t going to succeed, even though Harvey (ugh) was assuring them it would be a good idea. After they passed, New Line gave him 3 movies at $100 million each. People were skeptical, but New Line took a chance and won out big time.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Liberal Idiot posted:

I think Heavenly Creatures might be my favorite Peter Jackson movie. It's no wonder that Melanie Lynskey was catapulted into similarly meaty, challenging roles such as, uh (checks notes) Charlie Sheen's stalker on "Two and a Half Men." Hm.

She’s good in I Don’t Feel At Home In This World Anymore, the movie by Jeremy Saulnier’s buddy, Macon Blair.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

Looking back on it, that was such a great time to be a movie lover and I'm sure other studios in hindsight were like "wtf were we thinking?"

Not just LOTR, but LOTR was the prime example of how CGI was opening up this entire new universe of possibilities for blockbuster filmmaking. Filming on Fellowship of the Ring began in 1999, so we're still less than a decade out from Jurassic Park. LOTR was this behemoth story that for a long time had been considered unfilmable for obvious reasons. So with all the new tools at their disposal, you'd think multiple studios would've been competing to make the movies after it became clear that these entire alternate worlds could now be realized on-screen.

Sure, it's old hat now, there's very little novelty left in CGI effects. But I definitely remember what it was like when it was new and each new adaptation of a classic story had amazing possibilities because of how much special effects had taken a leap forward with CGI.

The major reason Disney balked was because of the price tag and the fact that it was an old story that people wouldn’t care about, not realizing that a big leap forward in CGI and action filmmaking would itself be a huge draw. This was also the era of Disney that was worried about Johnny Depp’s appearance tanking Pirates of the Caribbean.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

OldTennisCourt posted:

A police body cam film about the start of a zombie outbreak would be amazing.

the most fascist movie premise possible

deety posted:

Roar (1981)
In terms of story, character, and pacing, Roar is terrible, but watching it is a unique experience once you learn that plenty of the blood on the screen is real. Noel Marshall and Tippi Hedren raised big cats in their real-life home so they could have enough lions to make this movie. They also used tigers and other cats that aren’t native to Africa, the film’s setting. It took 11 years to make and 70 people were reportedly injured in the process, including Marshal’s sons and Hedren’s daughter, Melanie Griffith, who needed 50 stitches after being clawed in the face. The story involves a lot of hiding in cupboards and barrels, but by the end the characters play happily with the lions that menaced them. This whole thing is somehow meant to be a message about conservation.

Don’t forget the DP, Jan de Bont, got his scalp lifted during this movie. He later went on to shoot Die Hard and direct Speed and Twister. Roar is a genuinely baffling movie and it needs to be seen to be believed.

deety posted:

Rats: Night of Terror (1984)
Rats is an Italian trash film that lands in so-bad-it’s-great territory. It’s about a post-apocalyptic biker gang that stumbles over an empty research outpost created by more technologically advanced survivors, and the place is infested with rats that start picking them off. One of the bikers takes advantage of the uncertainty to pursue his own goals, but most of them are endearingly supportive of one another and are shaken when their friends start getting rat-murdered. The shocking twist ending is dumb as hell and also perfect.

I saw this one with Lowtax :cool:

david_a posted:

I watched it at a midnight screening so maybe my memory of it isn’t the best, but I remember it being fairly slow and kinda boring.

It is, it’s a bad movie but the fact that animals are actually attacking people makes it a special, one-of-a-kind film experience.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

DeimosRising posted:

I was gonna say, just the perspective we need on an uprising of the poor: a cop’s

You know how the Walking Dead and other bad zombie properties are about the fantasy of exterminating undesirables? What if we made a movie about that but from the perspective of people who already have that power?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m not sure I really understand the whole killing zombies=murdering minorities connection? Besides, most (good) zombie movies aren’t about the zombies at all.

Have we considered zombie cop though?

Zombies are other people that it’s okay to kill because they’re a mindless horde. Look at Fox News, Trump, or any conservative outlet talking about the migrant caravan, a group of people fleeing from horrific poverty and violence for a better life in America, as an existential threat to America, and look at the photos of women and children getting attacked with tear gas. See also, what kind of people horde guns because of the upcoming race wars? Bad zombie media gives these kind of people an outlet for their terror, a place where they can swap in any Other for the zombies getting mowed down.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Not all zombie media is racist, and I think we all agree that Night of the Living Dead is about racism leading to our own undoing. Again, it’s the bad zombie fiction that just focuses on the slaughter and doesn’t use zombies as a stand-in for other societal ills like mass consumerism or racism.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Coffee And Pie posted:

I get that but like I can’t think of any movies where people take a “kill em all” kinda glee in killing zombies, it’s usually more offense and being sad for them. But then, I don’t really watch Walking Dead.

I feel like it’s less Bone Tomahawk and more Fight Club

The Walking Dead is nominally about interpersonal conflicts leading to tragedy in the face of catastrophe, but when they have a closeup on a Gerber(R) knife set and show people hacking zombies apart with that poo poo, you can tell they’re appealing to baser desires.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yeah, actually in retrospect there is a group of humans enjoying the apocalypse: the nazi biker gang. Also it’s surprising how long it took me to notice all of the nazi poo poo they have.

Now chew on this: the most popular character on the Walking Dead is a biker whose brother was a neo-Nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Coffee And Pie posted:

Is he also a Nazi?

From what I watched (didn’t even finish season 2 because show sucks mondo rear end), they never say he’s a Nazi, but they never NOT say he’s a Nazi, and he’s plagued by visions of his dead Nazi brother yelling at him.