Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I just watched Hell House LLC and agree it did not warrant a sequel. They go whole ham and overfocus on scares rhat could benefit from a bit of subtlety and add weird mystery to details that dont benefit from obfuscation. Plus the whole ending sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Coppola's Dracula opener is pretty memorable and does a perfect job estsblishing the tone and aesthetic the rest of the film follows, but I am reluctant to call it or any other aspect of that film "good."

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Dont disagree with any of the words about Dracula here but I am still a player hater

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Hereditary was a masterpiece and I will never watch it ever again.

I know this isnt quite the right place for it but Haunting of Hill House was also extremely good.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I still lol sometimes when I think of how in the movie lore sometimes wesker just has to gobble a dude right up

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Found footage vampire film where the monster is never captured on film due to thems the rules od being a vampire.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Gopro hiker youtuber guy werewolf movie. he gets bit and keeps hiking and later reviews his footage in horror as it turns out he turned into a monster and ate a bunch of campers on that night he couldnt remember.

1. There just aren't enough werewolf movies out there, and
2. A found footage film predominantly from the monster's perspective might breathe a little life into a lovely subgenre I typically don't enjoy.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

My Twitter Account posted:

Minus the werewolf part, this is kind of what happens in Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2.

Guess that's why I'm not a bigshot writer!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Aster:There's really no jump scares in the film, maybe one or two.
Dowd: What are those?
Aster: Which scenes are jump scares?
Dowd: No, what is a jump scare?
Aster: It's like a scene that serves to startle the audience. Like something just jumps at the screen or there is a loud noise.
Dowd: Oh, there are quite a few of those in the movie.

Lmao Ann Dowd rules

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Dracula wasnt the historical Vlad Dracul Tepes III, neither Mina nor Lucy were his reincarnated loves and he was at most an impassively horny real estate speculator.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

This is Rob Lowe Salems Lot Miniseries Erasure.

e: and that's mostly a good thing

ee: lmao

"In his memoir, Love Life, Rob Lowe stated that Rutger Hauer showed up on set and did not know his lines. Lowe said, "I once starred in a big miniseries that culminated with the villain giving a two-page monologue trying to goad me into killing him. The actor playing the bad guy wanted to ad lib his own version of the movie-ending speech. Although he was playing a vampire, he went into a soliloquy about being a cowboy. The director was not impressed. After a very tense negotiation, the actor was forced to poo poo-can his self-penned opus and stick to the original script. There was only one problem: He hadn't bothered to learn it." Lowe went on to state that cue cards were placed next to Lowe's head and Hauer read the lines to him."

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 19, 2018

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

the logical inconsistencies and broken narrative of The Shining is why it's great, i think. as soon as you start picking up on it, the conflicting details are relentless and you realise it all contributes to this horrible weird fever dream. it is a movie that gets better the more you watch it

That's an interesting way to look at it. I think any other director who didn't have this crafted legacy of being a visionary perfectionist weirdo savant would be labeled inconsistent and a poor editor with some of the same choices.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Does End of Days count?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

ZearothK posted:

One of the guests lost their dog last month, so no murdering pets

Okay, this seems pretty good, and it's conveniently on Prime! It's going to be on the list.

Um...

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Art is such a hilariously stupid thing to name a clown of any variety, let alone a scary one

"OH poo poo, its the vampire lord of the castle, Pete! He's come to feed on thr villagers! Look out everybody fuckin Pete the Vampire is here aaah!"

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Pomp posted:

No Country is a horror film, but the monster is a cold, uncaring universe where death is random and you have no control over events

Pomp posted:

You could turn out into a Lovecraft film of you replaced the cartel with a cult, the money with some mcguffin, and changing almost nothing else

Seems someone already wrote this very essay.

https://www.overthinkingit.com/2008/07/08/cthulhu-and-chigurh-separated-at-birth/

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

The best part of the movie is either the armadillo or the wasp casket, actually

E: honorable mention to the Van Helsing PowerStance(tm)

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 9, 2019

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

What about a Dracula with NO facets to his character?

Is he mad? Scared? Hurt? Horny? Who knows? He doesn't.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's bad but it owns

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Shaun and Hot Fuzz own. World's End does not own, however.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Biomute posted:

I have not worked out the dates, but the possibility that the movie served as an elaborate intervention by Wright for his Alcoholic buddy Pegg intrigues me.

That is a potentially nice little piece of trivia but doesnt make the film any less mediocre to watch as an end product.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

Mandy actually couldn't win an academy award because it didn't run in theaters for long enough before going to VOD per their weirdo rules.

There is a Netflix film up for besr picture.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Stephen King's works typically rely on either a Magical Black Person or a Magical Intellectually Disabled Person. Scholars and critics debate on whether his magnum opus is either The Stand, which contains both, or The Green Mile, wherein they are one in the same person.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

All Canadian Rushmores by law, regardless of field, include the single most influential person in their field and then the members of Rush, so the fact that we can only think of Cronenberg is not a problem.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

Sorry I couldn’t hear you because I was listening to side 1 of 2112 over and over again in my underwear.

:same:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Y'all remember The Boy? I just did, and it's real bad.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Not feeling this Witness 2 treatment at all

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Chucky is too inextricably linked to the 80s for weed in his universe to function as anything less than a gateway drug, so while smoking him out might get you away the first time, by the next time you face him he will have evolved into PCP Chucky, and you are hosed

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I agree you should never recast an iconic character. Sean Connery would make a fine Bond to this day.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

John Cenabite

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

hey whats a good horror movie for :words:

maybe evil dead?

gonna go ahead and recommend bloodz vs wolvez also therapy, my guy

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 20, 2019

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I like how they reattached the titty skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Oh yeah lungs go over your ribs I forgot