Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

graventy posted:

It's not good bad, it's just terribly mediocre, and repeats things from the first trilogy (for example, boob lipstick) with none of the craftmanship or creepiness in the original scenes.

It's okay in the aspect of 'people trapped in a house until dawn' subgenre movie but as a remake, it's meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Swing and a miss there, I heard nothing but bad things from people who were baffled it was made by the same team as the first.

With the sequel, I see what they were attempting to roll with, but good God did they tank it as the film went on. I liked the footage from people seeing the wierd poo poo around the Abbadon, and I didn't think the talk show bits were all that horrible, but the last stretch in the hotel was total crap. It was bad enough to make me go doublecheck that the people behind the first film were involved with this.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Since we're talking on favorite opening and ending scenes, what about favorite trailers for movies? Here's some of my faves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeSAFGWzft8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchHHSNGDJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e-YIIKzXNY

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Also a strong contender for best opening scene, in which an ATM calls Stephen King an rear end in a top hat.

I'd have to say Maximum Overdrive's opening is one of my faves with just showing everything starting to go wrong.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Fart City posted:

It’s a very operatic film through and through. I think the performances are deliberately evocative of that.

The entire movie is basically playing to the nosebleeds.

I remember Coppola saying he was trying to invoke the theater technique style of the old 30s era films when they were still working out learning film as a medium. Hopkins performance worked for me in the angle of Van Helsing likely studying all sorts of old lore probably would be on the edge of failing a sanity roll here and there.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I think I'm the only person who was okay with Keanu's performance in the movie.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Things I didn't like about 31:

- The movie

To me it just felt more like it was lacking some of the spirit of his other films. Lords of Salem's clearly his homage to eurosleeze, House of 1000 Corpses/Devil's Rejects are the grindhouse/drive in, Haunted World of El Superbeasto's that making fun of the old scary cartoons we watched as kids. 31 just feels more like a 'let's get the usuals together and make a film'. It doesn't make it a bad film to me, just feels like a stumble on his growth as a director.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

Good opening scenes in horror? Dead Alive's opening is pretty amazing.

Zingaya!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Untrustable posted:

Is there a new way to do zombie movies? No one has come at it from a new angle in a long time. I liked Fido but that was like 12 years ago. I'm trying hard to think or something interesting or original in zombie horror from the last 10 years and I can't remember anything super good. Except Savageland. Even though that movie's premise could have worked with any kind of horror movie creature.

I feel there is, but anytime someone tries to put so much as a toe outside the usual 'zombies happen-world goes to poo poo' template, it gets backlash. Case in point, Warm Bodies was pretty much lambasted for being 'Twilight, but zombies' when once you either read the book or sit through the movie, that's not it at all. Zombification's able to be reversed so the world can start focusing on rebuilding. Granted the reversal's not without having repercussions, and for those too far gone into the very rotted corpse end of things there is no reversal. But it was an attempt at something different that had people trashing the film while still saying 'why isn't there anything new in the zombie genre?'.

Bookwise seems to be the best avenue to potentially see something different done with the genre.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I hope at least one person watches Zombie in a Penguin Suit, it's seriously my favorite new-to-me zombie thing in the past year or two. It's a good short.

It's not a good short.

It's an incredible short! I'd love to see more like this.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

Speaking of found footage, I still want a sequel to the original Cloverfield done as a Loose Change style conspiracy theory video

That would make for a better sequel than the connected film we got.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I know for a fact there's a zombie animal movie on Netflix that looks absolutely terrible but I keep considering because it's a zombie animal movie.

There was also a pretty decent one about zombie sheep but I'm blanking on the name or any details.

Is it Zoombies? It's not bad, leans a skosh more towards the cheesy in parts.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

david_a posted:

Goddamn Mimic is not good. I had forgotten how much it borrowed from Aliens as far as the bugs go. About the only enjoyment I got out of it was picking out all the samples Front Line Assembly used.

Anybody sit through the sequels?

I've sat through the sequels and they get lousier with each one.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Today I sat through Savageland and Cute Little Buggers. As much as the thread's talked about how good Savageland was, it really was that drat good. The scenes where you see the aftermath at the preschool hit me pretty hard, so I'm not sure where this film's going to be on the rewatchability scale unless I skip that bit.

Cute Little Buggers...well, I went in expecting something cheesy campy but drat it felt like they didn't have the confidence to stick with a tangent and roll with it. The storyline has potential but it just came across like they weren't sure if they were going the serious dryness like Hot Fuzz or something not taking itself seriously at all. The CGI was all over the place with some bits looking good, some looking like it was an amateur at the keyboard, and others looking like it was swiped from one of those high end computer animation animal films. I don't regret sitting through it but doubt I'll sit through it again.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Untrustable posted:

I keep trying to start Lake Mungo but it's so slow for the first bit and I watch something else. I don't know why it's like that. I don't mind slow-burn horror at all but I just can't get into the Mungo.

I don't mind a slow start to a movie or a nicely done slow burn but I agree that Lake Mungo was really slow out the gate. If it wasn't for hearing it does pick up, I probably wouldn't've given it a second chance.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

War is horror, right? I saw They Shall Not Grow Old (Peter Jackson's World War 1 documentary featuring restored 100-year-old archive footage from the actual war) tonight and it was heartbreaking but really well done. Lots of gnarly shots of hosed up corpses, people that had trenchfoot, etc. The footage looked way better than something from that era, too. It didn't look like a movie made in 2018 obviously, but the footage looked several decades newer than it actually is.

I hope it gets a wider release at some point. I was livid that it's only got two showings by me that are both during the week when I'm at work and I can't take the time off.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

deety posted:

Shudder only has the draggy, full-length miniseries instead of the shorter, more intense cut that used to be the version you'd always find on home video.

That just bumped that one up the priorities on my massive watchlist. While the edited from the miniseries versions are okay, with some of them certain touches end up getting lost. Case in point, the IT miniseries' opening credits feature bits like newsclippings of the more unsavory aspects of Derry like the Black Spot fire and the Bradley Gang shootout.

And to add to the films that set monster rules, I'm pretty sure The Howling set up the depiction of the wolf headed style werewolf since Werewolf of London established the more human looking werewolf since folklorewise, werewolves looked more wolfy.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

deety posted:

I agree with you about full-length miniseries for the most part, but Salem's Lot is a little different. The 3+ hour version takes an hour for the vamp stuff to really get rolling. The first hour is mostly character introductions and filler, including setup for a subplot that involves none of the main characters and has nothing to do with the larger story arc.

The shorter theatrical cut was also planned from the start for them to show in Europe, and it includes gorier versions of some of the attack scenes.

I freely admit to being a bit biased in I watched it when it first aired so I'm a lot more forgiving on pacing when I once had to wait a lot longer for the next part to air.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Aside from Angel Heart, are there any great horror films about a detective/police officer who goes to investigate a mystery and finds something supernatural? I guess In the Mouth of Madness sort of works in the same vein.

Lord of Illusions.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

I have to drive 11 hours on Saturday so I guess I miss it again. One of these days I’ll catch it live.

I've got work tonight so I'll be missing it too.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Just a friendly reminder to avoid watching Red Christmas, a bizarrely hateful horror 'comedy' with a bold conservative pro-life message.

edit: Bold as in blatant, not brave.

When I tried to watch it, I found myself thinking it'd be more worthwhile to go scoop my cats' litter box.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Fart City posted:

Speaking (?) of animal cruelty, I rewatched Predator last week and there was a bit that I stuck on that I had never caught before. Right after Jim Hopper's helicopter crash is discovered, there's a shot of someone kicking the absolute gently caress out of a real-life vulture. I have never seen anybody mention it though.

Probably because of the 'vultures are generally considered ugly so who cares about them' train of thought.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Yes but what was the first horror movie to use the "killers wear animal masks ".

I think Stage fright.

Probably could consider Wicker Man as a maybe in that category.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Hollismason posted:

The best way to watch any horror series is in reverse order because the movies go from worst to best which is better than best to worst.

As one of my possibles for doing another of the thread's viewing Ironman challenges is doing X amount of franchises in X days, that was one of the discussion tangents I've been rolling around along with covering any games/comics/books that were part of a franchise.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Did Don Mancini say he's not making Chucky movies now? Because people seem to be convinced that the remake means no more real Chucky movies.

I'd say that's probably from generally once there's a remake, there's rarely a continuation of the original franchise. Halloween might be the only franchise that's continued after a remake that I can think of.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

Is the Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer: 30th Anniversary Edition that's available on Prime the uncut version of Henry or does it have parts cut/edited?

I'm thinking it's uncut since it's a 4K edition.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

The beauty of Bird Box being on Netflix was that I could check out any time I wanted. The movie couldn't even make the end of the world segments interesting, it was just a lot of people panicking. Even bad zombie movies usually get that part right. Must be hard to make an invisible monster that has no physical effect on people scary though, especially when its powers are to remind us of The Happening.

From what I've read around, they did have some kind of greenscreen thing with a baby face to show the monster but it was so ridiculous looking that Sandra Bullock couldn't keep a straight face or would bust out laughing when she saw it so they went with the drawings and ambiguity.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

I'm in the hospital right now and nothing has lifted my spirits more than knowing James Wan is getting bullied. gently caress you Wan!

Hope you get better soon and may the hospital food not suck too badly.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Angus Scrimm is in the Subspecies film for Full Moon and no one notices he plays the dad at the beginning.

I noticed but it'd be more surprising if I didn't notice.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

david_a posted:

Looking at the Canadian schedule I was a little taken back at some of the titles - Eastern Promises, Enemy, No Country for Old Men, Only God Forgives... I don’t know how the US schedule differs (maybe those titles are way cheaper to get in Canada) but I wouldn’t label any of those movies as primarily “horror.” Not sure what’s going on over there.

I thought it was weird when they had The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo films available since I didn't think those were horror compared to a fair amount of the martial arts/wuxia films are equally horror. And joining in on The Changeling love, I saw that at the show back in the day and it's delightfully creepy. If I remember rightly, the kid who was cast as the murdered was chosen because he was able to hold his breath long enough during the drowning scene.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

Discussion: The Friday the 13th remake is actually pretty good.

I thought Nana Visitor did a nice go of Pamela Voorhees.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Has there ever been an in-canon explanation of why Jason almost-drowned and then decided to live in the woods for some reason, even though his mom was right there.

I can't remember where I read it, but it was by the time he got out of the lake and regained consciousness he was already presumed dead so he went into the woods until the camp was reopened since it closed the summer he 'died' and Pamela kept sabotaging the attempted openings.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Finally sitting through Autumn on TubiTV since I've really enjoyed the books since way back when Moody was still giving the first book away free on his website, and I'm a bit disappointed in the movie adaptation. The books really do a good job of building up from the chaos and confusion from the mass deaths and the gradual evolution of the walking dead while the various survivors are trying to make sense of it all, but the movie is like a version of Cliff Notes squished together. If one's read the books, it sorta works, but for someone who's never read them, it comes across janky.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah but that was on the Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back soundtrack.

Obligatory:

*sings* I thought I knew the soundtrack but I got high.....Could've sworn I knew it well, but I got high-igh. Now I'm wondering why they're not in Evil Bong....because I got high, because I got high, because I got high-igh...

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Windows 98 posted:

Monster from Bird Box that was cut from the film

I can't fault Sandra Bullock from not being able to keep a straight face when she saw it.

And as much as I would've liked to've joined in the January viewing, work has been absolutely slammed with everyone on mandatory overtime for the month that I'm already fried barely second week in. Bleh...

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I decided to give that Hulu Into the Dark episode Pooka! a try. Never thought I'd see a blend of A Christmas Carol with Jacob's Ladder , so of course it's getting added to my holiday viewing as long as it's available.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I'm thinking of dropping a little money on horror.

Is this thing worth the price? 30 films. Obviously a bunch of classics in there and I'm leaning towards it but not totally sure.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L8QP082/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Also can anyone tell what the difference between these two is? Did I just find some weird Amazon bug or are they just different printings of the same thing that weirdly got priced differently? Obviously I won't buy either if I decide to buy the big one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H45YSO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A18YXWJH0T98I6&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Mo...7PNK7YFCJQYBZ69

I figure its worth spending money to get the classics I haven't seen, but I'm always a little weary about these big box sets that I'm going to get bad quality or a bunch of discs thrown in a bag all scratched up or something. Or with stuff like this there's often a "bad version" and "the right version." I figured you guys would know if one of these was a "bad" set.

I've been considering those too but I've been hearing a lot of iffy things about the transfers to the point I might just go with tracking down what I'm missing of the Legacy sets and call it good for the time being.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I have the Essential Collection(so not the big 30 film set), and the value there for me has been incredible. I've watched each movie at least twice and the thing cost me like $30.

Not sure what the concerns would be about the transfers in the set, as another poster was referring to. They all seem great to me.

Mostly I've heard some of the transfers aren't as good as others in the set along with stuff that sounds like quality control slacked in the packaging phase with missing discs or broken cases.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Liberal Idiot posted:

"The Mummy's Curse" takes place 25 years after "The Mummy's Tomb," which is supposed to be 30 years after "The Mummy's Hand." It's worse than the Friday the 13th timeline!

It's one of those 'don't think too hard about it' kinda things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

For anybody who has seen both, is Body Melt better or worse than Street Trash?

That depends on a few factors. Street Trash is more sleazier and does have some parts that might not sit well with some. Body Melt is around par for gore but feels very 80s-ish to me.