Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Welcome Spook-a-Doodles...We've been waiting for you...

Horror films are unsettling films designed to frighten and panic, cause dread and alarm, and to invoke our hidden worst fears, while also captivating and entertaining us with a cathartic experience, often with a terrifying, shocking finale. Horror has existed as a film genre for more than a century.

Horror films center on the dark side of life. They deal with our most primal nature and its fears: our nightmares, our vulnerability, our alienation, our revulsions, our terror of the unknown, our fear of death and dismemberment, loss of identity, or fear of sexuality.

It is the best film genre, and has been blessed with amazing fans.

General Rules Ghouls of Conduct:

:ghost: This is a chill thread. Respect your fellow posters. We are all eccentric weirdos that love horror films, so there's no real reason to be an rear end in a top hat over differing opinions.
:ghost: Spoilers: err on the side of caution. Horror movies succeed in embracing the unknown. Certain films, such as Sleepaway Camp and Jacob's Ladder, are better seen without knowing the twists and reveals. So even if a movie is 30+ years old, if it's better left as a surprise, please keep that surprise intact.
:ghost: Images, Memes and GIFs that show blood, guts and gore are fine. If an image is too extreme or has triggering content, please provided a NMS tag. Images (including posters), Memes and GIFs that show nudity must be hidden behind spoiler tags or linked and marked with a NWS tag. You can be probated for breaking this rule, so please think before you post.

The Old Horror Thread (10 years, 2,197 pages. May require Archives.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:spooky: Spooky Stuff :spooky:

:drac: Genres, Sub-Genres, History and Movements Throughout Horror's History :drac:

Animal Attack films by Deety
The Butterfly Murders by Neo Rasa
Godzilla by Burkion
The Strange Saga of 'Spookies' provided by M_Sinistrari, a fan
Video Nasty thread

Need a quick recommendation? Here's a curated list of what the horror thread considers essential viewings to be a cool kid.

If you did not get to post your staff pick idea in the last thread PLEASE DO NOT POST IT IN THIS THREAD. IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE IGNORED. Instead, PM me or contact me through discord.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 21, 2022

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For those of you that would like to write effortposts to various sub-genres and movements in horror film history:

-Post your write-up like a regular post
-I will link the posts in the 2nd OP like a Table of Contents
-Thank you.

MacheteZombie posted:

A very good list to start the thread.

NoES:
1 > 2 > 3 > New Nightmare >> FvJ > 4 >> 5 > 6 >>>>>> remake

There is no Nightmare on Elm Street remake, though. :confused:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Lurdiak sucks, let's move on

There’s playful teasing and being a dick. You’re being a dick.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

gently caress, I don't have a brand or anything, do I?

We all call you Halloween Jerk when you're not looking.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
As I have time, I am going to add the staff picks. I think I'm done with 1/3 of them. Since there are so many good and interesting choices--and for aesthetic purposes--we're going to leave off credits and reasons for being chosen. You are appreciated, even if you don't get your names mentioned.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Staff picks are posted.

Burkion's excellent Godzilla write-up has the honor of being first effort-post for the 2nd OP.

Hooray and Huzzah!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

hey i dont see evil bong in the staff picks wtf fran

I swear it was on there! Dunno how it got erased. It took me forever to find a good poster. Will re-find it and add it.

edit: Fixed.

edit: For context, this is what I'm looking at to work on/fix the staff picks images. So when one bracket gets deleted, a whole image goes missing without any indication:

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 12, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

And Heavenly Creatures! I haven’t seen that movie in forever!

Heavenly Creatures is what they say "won" him LotR, but I have a strong suspicion that Dead Alive's party scenes--with the large amount of special effects, choreography, stunts, and sheer amount of zombies--is what secretly convinced the suits to give him LotR. It's easy to look at those scenes and say "Oh yeah, they guy could totally pull off large battles with orcs and elves and poo poo."

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

The Frighteners is so good.

The power... of the MIND......... is absolute

It's the best episode of Tales from the Crypt.

Besides Demon Knight.

Fight me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

axelblaze posted:

I bought a copy of Heridtary because I like it so much and, like my copy of Pan's Labyrinth, I'm not sure I'm ever going to actually rewatch it.

Wait, why? Pan's Labyrinth is great. It's dark, but I think it ends on a high note.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Eh I've seen Pan's Labyrinth and it's definitely a pretty loving heavy movie. It's actually probably one of my lesser-favorite Guillermo movies, and I say that as a MASSIVE Del Toro fan. It's still great I just think a lot of his other stuff is better, with the Shape of Water being his magnum opus (so far!)

I actually think Pan's Labyrinth is still his magnum opus, with Shape of Water being 2nd best.

It's a heavy movie, but I don't feel bad about a little girl in a horrible living situation during a terrible war getting to go to heaven where she's princess of her own fantasy world. That's a happy ending in my book.

Same with Jacob's Ladder.

edit: Fun fact, I've still never seen Cronos. I tried to watch it on Netflix but their encoding was hosed up and the movie was unwatchable. Another streaming service had it and glitched on me. Another time I couldn't get subtitles to work. I keep meaning to watch it, but no-go.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 13, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Was I the only person out laughed out loud when in Hereditary The kid hits her head on that light pole

I laughed at a lot of moments, but not that moment.

You monster.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Untrustable posted:

Is there a new way to do zombie movies? No one has come at it from a new angle in a long time. I liked Fido but that was like 12 years ago. I'm trying hard to think or something interesting or original in zombie horror from the last 10 years and I can't remember anything super good. Except Savageland. Even though that movie's premise could have worked with any kind of horror movie creature.

Yeah, nothing groundbreaking has happened to the zombie genre in a while.

Pontypool came close!

I think Zombie In A Penguin Suit is pretty unique. It's 7 minutes, and I could spend 80 minutes with something like that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I hope at least one person watches Zombie in a Penguin Suit, it's seriously my favorite new-to-me zombie thing in the past year or two. It's a good short.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Last thread we spent a day pitching a giant killer hippo movie, so that's my dream found footage film.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Hippos are so under represented in movies that I would almost say found footage would be a wasted opportunity. I'd like to see a legit creature feature similar to Lake Placid or Primeval.

When you’re right, you’re right.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
25 Christmas Horror Movies Ranked - it's a BuzzFeed "article" but it's a pretty solid list with a nice variety and even some things I hadn't heard of.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pomp posted:

Does every Argento movie have out of sync dialogue? That made it really hard for me to get into anything but the kill scenes in Tenebrae and Suspiria

Imperfect ADR is just par for the course in almost every Italian horror film, if not every non-USA horror flick.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pomp posted:

Ruinous. Between the music and heavy stylization the kill scenes sucked me right in too

I've never been bothered by bad ADR, especially for Italian flicks, so I don't really get how that can take you out of a flick, but you could always watch them in the original Italian with subtitles, which I find way more distracting in horror than lip syncing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

And this doesnt always work anyway since the actors would frequently speak their native languages on set.

True. That's the thing about ADR, they overdub everyone with different VO's, even in the original Italian.

But like I said, I don't get distracted by it. I can't imagine not being able to watch a kung fu flick or something like Demons just because the words don't match the mouth quite right.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

Almost. This is very familiar, so I’m guessing I’ll be lmaoed at, but what is it from?

That's Tina.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The fun thing about zombie movies--and correct me if I'm wrong--but the general perception of zombies vocally craving brains comes from Return of the Living Dead, and nothing else.

edit: Also, Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things has victims become zombies through contact or dying, and that predates Dawn of the Dead by six years.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 18, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

I don’t remember if I asked this in the old thread or not, but I had a conversation with a friend awhile back that’s stuck with me, and I want to open it up to everyone: in Gremlins, is Gizmo technically the father of all of the Gremlins that spawn off of him, and does that make Gremlins a movie about infanticide? And does this mean that his adoption of the Rambo persona in Gremlins 2 is even more on-point when you take into account the massive PTSD likely developed from murdering thousands of his offspring?

I always took it as a form of cloning and specifically not breeding. Gizmo is a a kind creature capable of love and affection and positivity, and the other mogwai that stem from him are inverse to who he is--like evil twins. So really he's not murdering his offspring, he's murdering the negative traits that have manifested from him, or more like identical siblings.

The PTSD is from having to deal directly with his own evil and having to kill himself multiple times for the benefit of others.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So, in short, novel Jack is King writing about his subconscious/id, and film Jack is Kubrick working out his subconscious ego/id.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

My take on what happened is that because it was such a personal story for King, the idea of making Jack a bad person at his core was something he was of course going to have a personal reaction to. In some way I think King probably was grappling with those issues himself and wanted to believe that he was a good husband and father deep down, in spite of his addiction problems.

Yeah, for sure.

Also, Stephen King is an optimist and believes in God to an extent, and Kubrick is pretty much the opposite of that. King writing his author-stand-in as a person who's repented by the end probably means more to him than devout atheist and nihilist Kubrick letting ol' Jack get his icy desserts.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

the logical inconsistencies and broken narrative of The Shining is why it's great, i think. as soon as you start picking up on it, the conflicting details are relentless and you realise it all contributes to this horrible weird fever dream. it is a movie that gets better the more you watch it

There’s a lot of weird stuff happening in the sound design I never noticed until seeing it in a theater.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

Aside from Angel Heart, are there any great horror films about a detective/police officer who goes to investigate a mystery and finds something supernatural? I guess In the Mouth of Madness sort of works in the same vein.

Definitely check out Cast a Deadly Spell if you haven't yet.

No one's said the original Wicker Man, which should count.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

It is the greatest horror film of all time, but it's not supernatural horror.

Eh, I think there's room to argue. It's certainly a mystery, and it's supernatural in that the island is full of pagans committing human sacrifice because of their religious beliefs. To the believers, it is supernatural, but it's not supernatural to an outsider or non-believer.

Cast a Deadly Spell wouldn't count either, since the entire world is supernatural. But it's more fun to count it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Two Gradys and Other Doubles, from Wikipedia (from Gordon Dahlquist of The Kubrick FAQ)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I always saw it more as like the hotel itself not abiding by the normal rules of time and that a person's essence could be somehow absorbed into it so that from their point of view they've "always been there".

That reading is also listed in the wikipedia, under the 1921 photograph section. It's a new idea to me, but I really like it, and it works more for the story than reincarnation.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

spoilers

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm gonna try and get to it soon so I can contribute to the convo. In reading about it, it seems to be the most polarizing film of the year, except for maybe Vox Lux.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Nah. Korine is crustier and funnier and his themes feel more timely than LVT. I’m not as familiar with Noe it to comment.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

Wow, I didn't expect anywhere near this number of replies. That should keep me busy for a long while, thanks.

The Horror Thread: and you shall receive it...in abundance!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Look what my friend gave me for Christmas:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'm trying to think of possibilities for tonight beyond Silent Night, Deadly Night and I'm not coming up with anything. I guess that's probably it, kinda disappointing actually.

Is there another Christmas themed horror series with multiple sequels?

Ginger Dead Man

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just a friendly reminder to avoid watching Red Christmas, a bizarrely hateful horror 'comedy' with a bold conservative pro-life message.

edit: Bold as in blatant, not brave.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Glad to see the new thread living up to the standards of the old thread, where at one point I asked for help on behalf of my dialysis tech, a woman that stabs me for a living, wanting to find something that would scare her teenaged son, and I was suggested to tell her Martyrs.

I mean, it would have scared him.

I mentioned it during the October challenge, but Martyrs's ability to withhold information from the audience so as to make every single moment as oppressive as possible for the viewer still impresses me.

The family is killed in the beginning before we realize that there is a strong motive for the revenge, and that it's not senseless. We are shown a monstrous woman attacking one of the characters before we know it's a vision/hallucination. etc..

I can't think of another horror film that takes advantage of story-telling and information so as to be most disturbing and horrific for the viewer. Any ideas?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was gonna hold off on watching the trailer for US.

Couldn’t wait.

Looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

Are all the hatchet movies as mean spirited and awful as Victor Crowley?

In my opinion, yes.