Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Now THIS is how you start a thread.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

I haven't seen Deep Red tho

LMAO at the posers itt who haven't seen Deep Red.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Is it number of different cats thrown or number of times a cat is thrown? If the latter, The Tomb of Ligeia might win.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love that movie.

Honestly, Corman's Poe cycle might very well be the most consistently great horror series ever made. Eight entries, and they're all fantastic.

Drunkboxer posted:

Tell me of other terrifying sheet-ghosts, if they exist.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Aside from Angel Heart, are there any great horror films about a detective/police officer who goes to investigate a mystery and finds something supernatural? I guess In the Mouth of Madness sort of works in the same vein.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Wow, I didn't expect anywhere near this number of replies. That should keep me busy for a long while, thanks.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I remember bouncing off pretty hard on The Editor the first time I watched it because all of its jokes seemed to boil down to, "gialli sure are violent and misogynistic, am I right, fellas?" Which is fine when you're doing a short film, I guess, but not enough to fill a feature. Maybe it deserves another shot.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

Awww man I loving LOVED the Love Witch, it was one of my fav movies of that year but it is definitely not a horror movie by any stretch of the imagination.

Yeah, I think The Love Witch suffered from being touted as a brilliant horror parody even though it has barely anything to do with the genre. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but if you're familiar with the melodramas it's referencing, there's definitely some fun to be had.

If you want real garbage, watch Viva, the same director's parody of Russ Meyer's work, which somehow manages to be less entertaining than even the worst Russ Meyer film (and the man made some horrible films).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Almost Blue posted:

Well, there's always Phantom Carriage.

Seconding The Phantom Carriage. It's the perfect New Year's Eve film.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Horror films with social messages? Whatever will they think of next?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

david_a posted:

Not technically horror, but you should maybe check out the Russian film Gruz 200 (Cargo 200) as well. It has more than a few similarities to William Faulkner's Sanctuary if that tells you anything.

EDIT: poo poo it's even on YouTube (probably not entirely legal, oh well)

Yeah, Gruz 200 is great. It's Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer if Henry was an entire nation.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Tora! Tora! Tora! is probably the only not great thing he was involved in, and even then the only good things about it were stuff leftover from when he was involved.

His WW2 propaganda films are pretty dire, but then no one watches those these days anyway.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The best Dracula performance is Klaus Kinski's, simply because I'm convinced that he actually was a vampire in real life.

Pomp posted:

whats this threads stance on the mummy starring brendan fraser

It's one of maybe half a dozen good mummy films.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

If offensive humour doesn't bother you, Street Trash is a way better film than Body Melt on just about every level, and if it does bother you, you probably should skip both.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Stink Billyums posted:

Are there any franchises besides The Purge where every sequel is better than the first movie?

Depends on your definition of franchise, I suppose, but you probably won't find many people arguing that A Fistful of Dollars is superior to its sequels.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Windows 98 posted:

I am doing a project regarding old horror films. Going through hundreds of Melies and Lumiere films right now. Check out this one I just stumbled upon, I uploaded it to YouTube for you all. Grim as gently caress for 1899.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1nyV2Xh_-A

That one's part of a larger series Méliès did on the Dreyfus affair. Very interesting from a historical perspective since it's one of the earliest still surviving docudramas and also one of the earliest films with a political agenda (Méliès sought to defend Dreyfus, who was awaiting his trial when shooting started).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

That's actually a pretty impressive cut for 1895, I missed it the first time and had to go back to catch it.

All the more impressive since it's presumed to be the first cut in film history.

Windows 98 posted:

Yeah it doesn't look too shabby. I am going through a ridiculous amount of effort to source all my content from the highest quality source available. So these uploads I am putting up are the best quality you are going to probably find these films in, since I have not compressed them in any way. I will likely leave them up until I am done with the first episode of the web series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJDmU-iohM

Thanks. Seeing this in a non-pixelated version is pretty cool.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Windows 98 posted:

The "camera tests" which were Edison's first films look more or less like blobs of light.

It's funny how technology works out sometimes. The Scottish doctor Macintyre made a short in 1899 which was meant to show off the capabilities of the X-ray, but due to the limited quality, it now looks less like an educational film and more like an avant-garde masterpiece.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

To be fair, Cabin in the Woods is better than American Beauty. But not by much.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

weekly font posted:

The Boondock Saints is Donnie Darko for people who have screamed a racial slur at a TV while a sports game was on.

Nah, Donnie Darko actually looks like someone on the crew knew how to hold a camera.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://twitter.com/paulmac708/status/1086369219107786753

I say A Serbian Film, but what do y'all think? There are a bunch of good Lars Von Trier candidates too.

Shoah of course. You can at least mock the try-hard attitude of A Serbian Film or LvT's works, but Shoah is just nine hours of pure misery.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

i heard the same thing about john waters and tbh id prefer a new waters movie to a new carpenter one

IIRC, the issue with Waters is that he specifically said he has no interest in making a new film unless it's a multi-million dollar production, because he feels it wouldn't feel right to shoot a low-budget film now that he's become a millionaire. And the number of producers who'd want to hand a big blockbuster to Waters is presumably rather tiny.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Liberal Idiot posted:

For some reason I’ve always felt that the ideal late-career move for John Waters was for him to host The Price is Right.

His late-career move is making cameos in kids films.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The film whose release is closest to my birth date is Cool as Ice. I don't know how to feel about that.

The closest horror film is Two Evil Eyes, which I've never seen. It's a collaboration between Argento and Romero though, so I should probably rectify that.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I still get Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies stuck in my head sometimes.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I've been meaning to watch The Golem , hear it's really good

The 1920 one? Yeah, it's great.

OldTennisCourt posted:

What's a horror film that the majority of people think is poo poo that you really enjoy?

Death Bed: The Bed that Eats

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah, it's quite good. Also one of the few horror films I know with a last-minute twist that actually enriches the narrative instead of serving as a cheap way to provide a final scare.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Pomp posted:

You'd need someone who feels pretentious, and bored but also believably capable of extreme violence so the bald guy from Mandy and John Malkovich

Patrick Stewart then.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Can't wait to slay some demons with famous Hungarian composer Franz Liszt.

K. Waste posted:

edit: I realize that lots of people find the whole "the true monster is man" genre tired, but with Irreversible it actually falls into that closely related category of "there is no monster." Le Tenia does not actually exist.

Well, of course he doesn't actually exist. It's just a movie, duh. :rolleyes:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Paul Newman is obviously the best choice since he would just find a way to con the ancient evil.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

mikeycp posted:

i've got dick cheney, so any horror creature that fucks with me gonna get a face full of birdshot.

No, no, no, you're supposed to fight the horror movie monster, not team up with it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Poor guy just barely missed the 27 Club.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Gremlins 2 is easily the best sequel of all time.

I'd say it's a toss-up between it and Master of the Flying Guillotine.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's interesting to me how in many creative industries there seems to be a complex relationship between sophistication (and amount of funding) and quality that is proportionate at first, then falls dramatically and eventually levels off once you pass a certain point.

That's probably due to risk aversion more so than anything. The times when studios would give someone like Francis Ford Coppola unlimited funding to shoot his mad vision in Vietnam is sadly past.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Apocalypse Now gets a pass because of the timing - the indigenous people were going to kill the cow in that way at that time and had decided to do so independently of Apocalypse Now being filmed, Coppola just filmed what they were already doing.

I don't think that's the issue though, the animals in Cannibal Holocaust were killed quickly and eaten afterwards as well. What people object to is the depiction of a real killing in and of itself.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

buy Gremlins 2.

Way ahead of you. :cool:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Godzilla vs. Megalon is peak cinema.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of rape revenge flicks, I thought it died years ago but I Spit On Your Grave: Déjà Vu is for real happening with both Meir Zarchi directing again and Camille Keaton starring in it again. :wtc:

I Spit On Your Grave is a title deserving of a good film, but I somehow doubt this one will be it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What is straight up the worst horror film you have ever seen

not even funny-bad or ironic bad, just straight up "gently caress this movie" bad

The 2006 Cannibal. Absurdly bad on every technical level, a boring chore to watch, and homophobic to boot.

Giallo a Venezia is horrible as well, but it at least has the distinction of merely being awful rather than offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

There was definitely a time when you could put some blood and breasts in your low-budget horror film and a niche audience would lap it up regardless of quality. I don't know if that kind of audience still exists though, at least in large enough quantities to make such films financially viable. It feels like the Internet with its easy access to sex and violence would have killed that business model.