Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Jason Vorhees, a spirit worm,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

TOM ATKINS

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The reveal that the critters instinctively know to form a Giant Farmer Eating Critter Ball in Critters 2: The Main Course is incredible worldbuilding.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I’m the Chandler.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Jedit posted:

I didn't think you were also into sadism and bestiality, but you're flogging a dead horse here.

Anyway: what are people's favourite opening scenes in horror movies? If you don't answer "The Fog" then you're wrong, but all input is welcome!

I love the opening to Carpenter’s The Thing with the dog being chased across the open arctic. The desolate cinematography and Morricone’s score really set up the tone of the movie from jump street. And it’s such an awesome “what the hell is going on” beginning.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

You're absolutely right, Coppola's Dracula isn't good. It's great.

Yeah it’s like if you could translate the feeling of watching a shadow lantern to a filmed narrative.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

But also if one of the shadows was Anthony Hopkins hamming it up for 2 hours.

A very loud shadow lantern.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

It’s a very operatic film through and through. I think the performances are deliberately evocative of that.

The entire movie is basically playing to the nosebleeds.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The only way I can describe 31 is, like, it felt made to order to me. Like if you had told me that Shudder had contracted Zombie to make that movie, I’d believe it. Kind of feels like a paycheck movie, or at least the closest he’s come to that.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The Frighteners is so good.

The power... of the MIND......... is absolute

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

She’s also really good in Castle Rock.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

FreudianSlippers posted:

A Maniac Cop remake shot entirely through the titular cops body cam.

lmao yeah I've been to Boston, what of it

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

World War Z literally depicted the zombie threat as a faceless insect-like hivemind. Nearly all humanity was taken out of their movement as the masses rushed forward like a liquid wave, or constructed a tower out of its own horde.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

Milla Jovovich is really not qualified to be an action star. (No less so than plenty of men who star in action movies, I should add.)

It’s really bizarre to consider that she’s arguably one of the most successful action movie stars of the last 15 years when you take into consideration the success of the RE franchise. But it’s like some kind of illusion, where if you try to examine the substance of that concept it just like, optically camouflages.

And yeah, Fran’s right; Zombie In A Penguin suit is dope as heck.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I want a movie about a wanna-be social media star who gains infamy by hunting and killing other influencers (with audience participation). I want the whole thing to be done via video blogs and go pro footage.

And I really really want John Waters to direct it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

That would make for an incredible anthology movie.

Just have the whole movie be a news broadcast with each segment revealing more and more insane poo poo until the entire studio gets pulled into hell right before credits or something.

I mean imagine what you could do with weather, or sports, or traffic.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Coffee And Pie posted:

Speaking of found footage, I still want a sequel to the original Cloverfield done as a Loose Change style conspiracy theory video

*news footage of monster rampaging through city*

Dr. James J. Brendan, PHD “alternative conceptual sciences”: “Everybody knows that hologram technology has been around since the late 30’s. Next you’ll tell me that they actually shot JFK and not his tank-born double.”

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

TOOT BOOT posted:

I was super down for the proposed found-footage Friday the 13th sequel but it never ended up happening.

Never Hike Alone lightly scratches that itch, but not really

(It does however rule irregardless)

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Zombeavers would be my guess.

And yes, it does indeed suck rear end.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Stink Billyums posted:

Rewatch The Mist instead.

Generally applicable in most situations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Mimic is decent, but don't let your love for GDT cloud it. It's very clearly a studio chop-job.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

“These apes jumping into molten lava aren’t realistic enough”

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Whether you like Congo or not, you have to respect successfully pulling off “third act laser/ape battle.”

The only other movie to even attempt such a thing? Steel Magnolias.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh drat, I think so? I haven’t thought about that flick in years.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

If you ever question why Congo rules remember that “skydiving gorilla” doesn’t break the top five most insane things in the movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Popelmon posted:

Does Inferno hold the record for most cats thrown at an actor in a horror movie? Or are there any other contenders?

This is why I keep coming back to this thread.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

Does anybody else want to share some B-movies you've seen recently that surprised you with how good they were? This year I finally got around to seeing Waxwork, and I was blown away by the criminally neglected Class of 1999.

I rewatched The Fly II earlier this year, and while it’s obviously not anywhere near the classic first film, I found it enjoyable for just how weird it is. It’s almost not even a straight horror movie, but like some kind of horror superhero mash-up, with Eric Stoltz essentially being a version of Peter Parker that also vomits acid.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Hollismason posted:

I'm glad ghosts aren't real because I'm already a rear end in a top hat and I'd probably be a real rear end in a top hat of a ghost.

Alternatively I feel like I will only realize my true rear end in a top hat potential once I gain the ability to poo poo ectoplasm into shoes

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

NOTLD gets a little loosey goosey with the rules, maybe by design. Like the daughter dies and comes back, but so do older corpses from the cemetery.

But the body on the second floor of the farmhouse never budges.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I don’t remember if I asked this in the old thread or not, but I had a conversation with a friend awhile back that’s stuck with me, and I want to open it up to everyone: in Gremlins, is Gizmo technically the father of all of the Gremlins that spawn off of him, and does that make Gremlins a movie about infanticide? And does this mean that his adoption of the Rambo persona in Gremlins 2 is even more on-point when you take into account the massive PTSD likely developed from murdering thousands of his offspring?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I like the idea that the gremlins are like, the “bad” elements of Gizmo made flesh. That’s fun.

Liberal Idiot posted:

Has there ever been anything in a comic book or novelization or anything like that to explain why Gizmo seems to be the only "good" mogwai? Even before they become full-on gremlins, the rest of his spawn are always portrayed as malicious. Does it skip a generation or something?

Like how old is Gizmo anyway? Because as a magical creature I always got the impression that he was immortal or something. Did the shopkeeper have a gremlin ourbreak in Chinatown in the 30’s when he was a boy?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Hey I’m Jan Saxan and apparently I’m from Iddly in this picture

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

General Steve King rule is if it was written before the 90’s just assume it was written while blasted on cocaine at 3am and this drat book’s gotta meet a minimum weight.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Yeah that’s the key difference between the movie and the book. The book is about a man chained to the yoke of alcoholism, whereas the movie is about a true narcissist. Jack in the book feels like a failure from his own shortcomings and self loathing, movie Jack feels like a failure because his family has held him back from greatness.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Pretty much. And I think that’s why they clashed over it. Both identified with Jack in different ways that were also fairly opposite of each respective interpretation.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

My take on what happened is that because it was such a personal story for King, the idea of making Jack a bad person at his core was something he was of course going to have a personal reaction to. In some way I think King probably was grappling with those issues himself and wanted to believe that he was a good husband and father deep down, in spite of his addiction problems.

Oh for sure. I definitely think that’s the case with King. But I kind of feel like Kubrick had some skin in that game too. He’s a very... esoteric personality, but when you read about his drive and perfectionism, you can a lot of that in Movie Jack. He doesn’t really portray Movie Jack as “evil” until he flips over, but rather like, almost detached and self isolated. Just by virtue of not having a interior voice to work with Movie Jack is way more of an angry introvert than Book Jack, and I can see a lot of Kubrick in that.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Carpenter on Letterman promoting The Thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCduoZrNnlQ

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Franchescanado posted:

Look what my friend gave me for Christmas:

That’s fantastic

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Speaking (?) of animal cruelty, I rewatched Predator last week and there was a bit that I stuck on that I had never caught before. Right after Jim Hopper's helicopter crash is discovered, there's a shot of someone kicking the absolute gently caress out of a real-life vulture. I have never seen anybody mention it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I love that Peele just goes all-in on high-concept horror. Like that trailer looks insanely good, but the concept also looks like nothing else I've really seen (or at least looks to done in a way that similar concepts haven't riffed on). I love the intimacy of the concept alone. I'm hyped.