Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
We're back, baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Now, The Devil's Rejects, that's a good closing scene.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

axelblaze posted:

Of the many things I didn't like about 31, one thing that particularly stood out was him just trying to do that scene again with a different 70s staple, but without any of the buildup that gave the original scene any impact.

Things I didn't like about 31:

- The movie

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

sorry for doublepost but i crowdfunded 31 bc im a huge fan of RZ as a musician and filmmaker but the MPAA just tore that movie to shreds

So this is all your fault

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Samuel Clemens posted:

Aside from Angel Heart, are there any great horror films about a detective/police officer who goes to investigate a mystery and finds something supernatural? I guess In the Mouth of Madness sort of works in the same vein.

It's a group of police, but there's Baskin as well which is a fun ride.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
For a sec I was getting Cabin In The Woods and Cabin Fever mixed up. Cabin Fever did have this, uh... thing in it though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34g_IwinwnI

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Hammer's "The Mummy" is the worst mummy movie there is.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I will admit that I was forcing myself to watch it in the middle of a Hammer marathon when I was starting to get burnt out, but it felt incredibly weak to me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

It may not be as strong as a Hammer Dracula or Frankenstein, but it’s way better than Curse of the Werewolf and it’s Universal predecessor.

Also I haven't seen the Universal Mummy in like 20 years so... grain of salt.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

married but discreet posted:

:siren: Let the Corpses Tan is on Prime :siren:

How is it? That's the one that's a neo-giallo right? I'm very intrigued.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

flashy_mcflash posted:

E: it's not giallo in the least, but the filmmakers did Strange Color Of Your Body's Tears, which is trying probably way too hard at being giallo. This one is like a Western siege movie and it rules.

Ohhhhh that's what I'm thinking of.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Let The Corpses Tan, more like "let the leather squeak"

That was a weird fuckin' movie. I'm not 100% sure what I think of it yet. It was unique, for sure, and the cinematography was beautiful.

edit-- if you thought Quentin Tarantino let his fetishes bleed over into his films, wait til you get a load of Hélène Cattet and Bruno Forzani

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 9, 2019

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
drat 1985 was a good year...

Day of the Dead, Demons, Friday the 13th V, Fright Night, Nightmare on Elm Street 2, Re-Animator, Return of the Living Dead

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Jeepers Creepers is the biggest partially-through-a-horror-movie disappointment of my entire life.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Well I did really like Baskin so, alright, sure, I'll probably watch it tomorrow.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Please, you can only properly call it that if it comes from the Giallo region of Italy

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just got Shudder, and the History of Horror series is decent mindless viewing. Like, sure, it's Eli Roth sniffing his own farts, and there's nothing NEW in it, but it's cool that they got a lot of notable people to talk about the classics :unsmith:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

THIS IS THE HORROR POLICE :siren: THERE IS A THREAD FOR US

*BREAK DANCES*

SHOOT HIM AGAIN

...HIS SOUL IS STILL DANCING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXNfHb9b6Y0

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The best part of working from home is having movies on one monitor while I work:

The Bird With The Crystal Plumage was excellent, even though you can tell it was one of Argento's earlier works. The technicality of the film isn't quite where his later movies are, but the storytelling is excellent and captivating. This was my first "actual" giallo film (Suspiria doesn't quite count, IMO) and I loved it. Managed to stay engaging and intriguing the whole way through.

Deep Red was slightly the opposite. Technically it was great - beautiful bright colors that have really become the hallmark of the style, and the cuts were masterfully used to show action that they obviously didn't have the budget or technology to show outright (mostly the violence effects). But, I feel like the story dragged a lot in the middle. The beginning was strong, and the end was strong, but the middle was a bit weak for me. However the fate of the killer(s) at the end was really rewarding.

No spoilers I guess for these 40 year old movies, but I really enjoyed both. I might rewatch Suspiria and then move on to Inferno and Mother of Tears since I'm on an Argento kick.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

The uncut version is very close to 2 hours long, like right around 120 minutes. The cut version is like 20 minutes shorter.

The one on Amazon is 104 minutes, so I guess I saw that version!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Those 20 minutes really do complete the film and make it feel like a weird mix of giallo and romantic comedy, which for me is such a big part of what makes it great. But if you were already feeling like it dragged in the middle then maybe you wouldn't agree, hard to predict. Those Daria Nicolodi scenes are pretty divisive actually.

I mean, I saw some scenes with Daria and Marcus arm wrestling and arguing that women are inferior, and some other scenes with Daria. Was there more than that?

edit--

quote:

Most US versions remove 22 minutes' worth of footage, including the most graphic violence, all humorous scenes, almost all of the romantic scenes between David Hemmings and Daria Nicolodi, and part of the subplot regarding the house of the screaming child.

Ah.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Joe Bob :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
This movie is so loving bad haha, but thank god for Joe Bob. My partner had never heard of him or the concept of hosted movie shows, but she loves him.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will not tolerate disrespect for CHUD

Even Joe Bob doesn't like it!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
He's a redneck from Texas, it's not a cowboy schtick

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

lmao at the posers itt have a life that requires you to wear a tie instead of being a gnar horror fan dedicating all ur time to watching rad Fulci flicks and destroying posers online

This but unironically

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Joe Bob was fun last night but hoo boy his beauty pageant rant and his his little "transvestite" rant were cringey.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Wait, the Exorcist TV show is actually good? What the gently caress?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Bout to start Deathgasm, since I missed Joe Bob last week. I'm already four beers in so I think I'm ready.

He's been rambling about Tesla for like 15 minutes, I'm sure it's starting soon

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Nm

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

OldTennisCourt posted:

Can someone give me an overview of how Shudder works? Like does it come with Prime or something? If I have Prime do I get it?

Have you heard of Netflix or Hulu

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Davros1 posted:

Doug Jones.

Real talk when I think of the description of pinhead in the book I think of the art of Yoshitaka Amano, and how his characters are all slender and pale and effeminate. And I think Doug Jones could really pull off that look.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It was so good for the first 3/4 or so :cry:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I think the Tarman might be my favorite zombie character ever. He's just so damned happy looking

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ruddiger posted:

Well if you're taking recs, you should watch the Guinea Pig films then!

quote:

In 1991, the films received additional media attention when film personality Chris Gore met actor Charlie Sheen and gave him a copy. Sheen then watched Flowers of Flesh and Blood and, mistaking it for a genuine snuff film, contacted the FBI to report it.

Hahaha

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

Are there any redeeming qualities in those Guinea Pig movies outside of the court case? I’ve heard they’re hard to sit through and are devoid of any plot.

Yeah if you go in knowing they're 100% fake, and watching them as SFX demos from 25 years ago, they're pretty impressive.

Watching them just for funsies as a way to relax after work though, that's uh... not a good look.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

gently caress this is gonna be the best movie of the year

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm so happy to see a horror movie that actually uses sunlight

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Aside from Crystal Plumage/Suspiria/Deep Red, what essential English language Giallo do I need to see? I like to put movies on whole I work, so subtitles are tough. I started Blood and Black Lace and was loving it but just couldn't focus on it enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Late to the question but Hammer's "Curse of Frankenstein" is the best grave robbing movie, and now I feel like falling down a Hammer hole