Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lurdiak posted:

You guys are not doing a good job on this first page.
Ah yeah, that's the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
we still love you

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

You should try to be a more bland and forgettable poster like me. Nobody ever says I suck.
gently caress, I don't have a brand or anything, do I?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

We all call you Halloween Jerk when you're not looking.
Oh yeah? Well that's just pure ideology, friend.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Friday the 13th remake has an entire Friday the 13th sequel compressed into its opening. That's hard to beat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

This makes me want a super cut of the one great scene from sucky horror movies.
You could probably squeeze Jess Franco's filmography into 90 minutes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah what the hell is the deal with that performance? He somehow stands out as a weirdo in a movie full of weird performances.
Honestly I think it's pretty true to the source material and how Van Helsing is a proto-pulp adventure mad scientist.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Absolutely. I recall that Zombie wanted to make a hockey movie and got turned down, and soon after made 31. The movie feels like his response was "So you only want me to make Rob Zombie Style Horror Movies? Okay, here's your Rob Zombie Style Horror Movie gently caress you pay me."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, the opening is so good it almost ends up being a weakness.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I still haven't seen Heavenly Creatures. I suspect his work on The Frighteners played a role in getting him LotR as well. That was a good movie, though very different from what I suspected.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Deep Red

Black Christmas (1974)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

Not sure I'd call Black Christmas a giallo but I could see how it could scratch the itch. I haven't seen Deep Red tho I've been meaning to forever so I'm definitely gonna watch that one! Thanks everyone!
It's not a giallo per se, but it's what you'd call a proto-slasher, and "scratches the itch" is exactly how I'd put it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Samuel Clemens posted:

LMAO at the posers itt who haven't seen Deep Red.
I think Argento's giallos are underrated compared to the Witches trilogy. (Well, the first two parts, anyway.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

I want Unfriended on tons of stuff. Holy poo poo a horror movie entirely on dash cam would kick so much rear end
You can watch this for free, courtesy of Russia.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
In that case your problem is that nothing you do will be as viscerally terrifying as the best known police bodycam videos.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

The problem with this is I don’t have any lights besides red, blue and purple.

"Are you boys cooking in there?!"

"No..."

"Are you making Inferno themed photoshoots?!"

"N-no!!!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Peppermint just came out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

oh christ okay make the movie about a dude with a gopro then holy poo poo :jerkbag:
You're not wrong about it being an interesting premise for found footage, but I'm also not kidding about real police cam videos being far more upsetting than any horror movie you could make.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m not sure I really understand the whole killing zombies=murdering minorities connection? Besides, most (good) zombie movies aren’t about the zombies at all.
Some horror movies actually identify zombies as part of the oppressed underclass (Land of the Dead, Train to Busan, and even Pride and Prejudice and Zombies). In such films, the zombies are those so abject in their suffering that they've become lumpenproletariat; still acting, still consuming, but incapable of really thinking or organizing beyond a riot. "Living dead" because they're a mass of people with no actual community. Remember that the original zombie myth is the idea that plantation slave owners could use magic to obliterate your consciousness and keep you as a mindlessly obedient slave forever.

Zizek has talked about zombies as creatures of "pure habit," about how a zombie isn't frightening because it's alien, but because it's the "zero level" of humanity with all the higher functions and behaviours stripped away. I think there's an interesting point in that: if you watch Night of the Living Dead, a great deal of the horror rests on people seeing a familiar human being reduced to the level of a zombie. That still pops up in newer zombie movies as a brief, almost obligatory cliche, but you see more and more focus on following the formula where the heroes build a barricade and fight to keep the horde at bay.

That plays into a particularly American type of reactionary politics. (And props HUNDU for posting our brave IDF.) But a lot of this ideology isn't in the movies themselves--I have seen forums where preppers and wannabe preppers posted their lovely tacticLOL assault rifle or shotgun that they called their "zombie killer," with optional backup katana. People are watching these movies and taking all the wrong lessons.

I've been following some leftists doing disaster relief and other forms of mutual aid, and one of the things I've learned is that people aren't anywhere near as lovely to each other in disaster situations as post-apocalyptic media would have you believe. (And, historically, people who barricade themselves in a remote stronghold actually do far worse in failed states than tight-knit urban communities.) I'm a big fan of 80s-90s post-apoc movies, and I've noticed that they fall into two types: the Escape from New York style where social collapse has left a precarious society with a failing tyrannical state, and the Mad Max style where there simply is no society and no production, just scavenging and looting. In the United States, the latter has had far more popular influence.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

From a political point of view, it's actually quite forgivable in the Resident Evil movies because in most of them, the horror of zombiedom is of being absorbed into the Umbrella Corporation itself. The antagonist is the Red Queen and the zombies are just extensions of Her will. In this particular film, the zombies are clones, and even when they're shown to have human consciousness, it's essentially an instance of a program on a computer.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Finally got around to watching this and how on earth did they make a fight with this premise so boring
Milla Jovovich is really not qualified to be an action star. (No less so than plenty of men who star in action movies, I should add.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

This is a serious question: What is everyone's dream/unique take on found footage they'd like to see?

For me: Zombie Apocalypse scenario done through security cams, news footage, police body-cam footage, cell phone footage etc.
Mine's actually similar, but instead of a zombie apocalypse it's an urban insurgency in a desolate near-future. I'm talkin' Escape from the Bronx mashed up with Punishment Park.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Is The Cured worth seeing?

Narzack posted:

Totally agree. I like her, but she's just a really weak action star. But her husband is crazy about her, so she's here to stay.
I'm hoping that directors like Tjahjanto and Gareth Edwards are raising the bar, and people are starting to expect more from action stars and action cinematography.

Narzack posted:

I have a friend who will just smoke a bowl before and that usually helps.
LOL if you watched Mandy sober

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of Screamers I had no idea there was a 2009 direct to video squel to the Peter Weller movie. It's concensus on it looks like it has great practical gore but bad everything else so I'll have to check it out.
I've seen it, and I recall I had the same problem with it as the first one: the robots haven't gotten any more sleek; in the second one it looks like people are being murdered by a cross between a vacuum cleaner and a horseshoe crab.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Does anybody else want to share some B-movies you've seen recently that surprised you with how good they were? This year I finally got around to seeing Waxwork, and I was blown away by the criminally neglected Class of 1999.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

Lovecraft wrote an entire novella about the horniess of fishmen resulting in ugly New Englanders in 1936.

As a metaphor for the evils of race mixing of course.
As far as I know, the earliest fiction in this vein (and an influence on Lovecraft's story) was Irvin S. Cobb's "Fishhead." Chaosium collected in their Innsmouth Cycle anthology.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There are actually a fuckton of detective stories in supernatural horror.

For ones where the protagonist is conducting an investigation, but not a detective: Cigarette Burns and The Ninth Gate*. I second the recommend for Lord of Illusions.

*Roman Polanski is a pedophile

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It is the greatest horror film of all time, but it's not supernatural horror.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Killing me won't bring back your loving honey!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I keep meaning to see Cast a Deadly Spell. I think it's still on HBO.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
From what I remember, SH1 was well-made, with some stunning effects design that really got the way the video games had those elements play into the plot and characterization.

Its major drags were 1. costuming choices that were too faithful to the games in a way that made the movie ridiculous, like the Stripper Cop, and 2. a huge Matrix Reloaded style exposition dump at the end of the movie, which presumes you're a moron and comes across like someone reading you a Fandom wiki ("The barbed wire monster is of symbolize the abusive janitor").

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm loathe to use that old cliche "it's a thrill ride," but the second Silent Hill was marketed as a 3d movie, and it mostly feels like a cheesy RE-themed amusement park ride.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Boondock Saints doesn't advocate murdering people you don't like. Sometimes it's okay to just punch them out. Like if a woman is gay, or ugly, or talking too much.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Pomp posted:

Edit: it's still less shameful than my dad's favorites, Dances With Wolves and Battlefield Earth
Both of those films have better cinematography than Boondock Saints. And the religious themes make more sense.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Ebert nailed it

quote:

The lads are loyal to the church in the same way their fans are loyal to Da Bears. They aren't players themselves, but it's their team and don't mess with it. They do hold a quasi-religious ceremony, standing in a circle with a pal and vowing to never, ever, stop smoking or drinking or attend an AA meeting. Drinking doesn't bother them, anyway. They chug whiskey like Gatorade. The only thing that bothers them, and they're super sensitive about this, is the slightest suggestion that they're gay.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

to be fair to me watching it as a little 10 year old who grew up in Boston it was just a cool action movie about people shooting mobsters i never really analyzed it or thought about it as anything other than a fun movie with cool fights
I felt the same way as a kid, but my standards are higher now.

I don't think it contains a single shot where someone fires a gun at someone else and they get hit. Everything is shot reverse shot.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Fart City posted:

I put American Beauty and Crash in the same genre of romanticized pretension.
AB came first, but I blame Magnolia for launching the genre of movies patterned after lovely lit-fic, where a bunch of sad people's boring lives eventually converge.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
And they should all be really cool, and some of them should be sexy, and they should be my friends. So I agree that someone should make a sequel to Nightbreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

Blood Feast is one of those things that's fun to watch for it's historical precedent and how it evolved the gore aspect of the genre, but not much beyond that. It's a nice one-and-done. I got to see it in theaters as part of a film festival, so it was fun in that venue.
I could watch it again, but beyond the historical curiosity aspect, the entertainment value is as a MST3K film. I mean, it's hilarious that the bumbling police cannot find the most conspicuous and incompetent serial killer I've ever seen.