Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I am a horror film fan, and I just recently watched "Would You Rather". It was ok, pretty goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

King Vidiot posted:

You guys and your prefabbed NECA masks, get on my level :v:

Is that the evil Insidious ladyman on the left?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

King Vidiot posted:

It's Angela from Night of the Demons, c'mon son!

I've only seen that movie once, but it does look like the Insidious ghosts a bit too. Anyway, nice.

I want to buy the Father's Day zombie from Creepshow some guy personally made, he calls his company Monstarz

IT'S TATHERS DAY

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Untrustable posted:

I very much want this now as well. drat that's cool.

Yeah, the only thing holding me back is it's real small.. 3.75 inches (9.5cm). Same as a GI Joe.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I liked the new Child's Play for what it was. It had me laughing a bit at the start and had some good gore.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
New Nightmare is not a good movie.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Drunkboxer posted:

I watched Us a few days ago. It’s weird because it feels like a throwback to something but I don’t know what. It felt very familiar, I guess is what I’m saying. I liked that it didn’t quite make sense and that it slowly goes from pretty grounded and mundane to surreal. I didn’t read much of what was being said when it came out but I’m guessing a lot of people got annoyed trying figure out exactly what was going on.

I don't know if it's been discussed here but my wife had been watching the original Twilight Zone episodes alone and she literally watched an episode that a week later we watched Us and she said it's basically the same premise. I think Get Out is similar.

Peele takes ideas from Twilight Zone and remixes through modern film making, cultural statements, and identity politics.

Edit:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/22/18276458/jordan-peele-us-twilight-zone-episode-inspiration-mirror-image-doppelgangers-netflix-hulu-amazon

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Thelma is such a great movie. If you haven't watched it yet rent it or watch it on Hulu ASAP.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Null of Undefined posted:

Hey sorry to bring back the F13 talk from a few pages ago, but did y'all literally forget the final scene of the first movie where a zombie child jason comes out of the water and attacks the final survivor?

The plot hole is how he went from a child to a full grown adult in the span of like 6 months but I always just attributed that to him being a deadite.

He didn't actually attack her. It's this weird "dream" thing where we assume what she heard from Mrs. Voorhees was enough to have her traumatically dream of him.

It's just a false scare that in there but also a pretty good one.

The entire serious is a loving disaster in logic, timeline, and continuity, just enjoy it for what it is..

Also listen to In Voorhees We Trust with Gourley and Rust

Chasin' More Pees.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Day of The Dead 2 - Bub's Day Out

society has reformed and there's only one Zombie left on earth.. Bub.. and he's gotta get a job!!!

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Night of The Living Dead is the best zombie movie and one of the best horror movies.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I am pretty much positive I will like Midsommar because I liked all the other recent divisive art horror like It Comes At Night and The Witch.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Untrustable posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Brightburn? I really liked it and especially liked how the mid-credits scene shows that A. The Crimson Bolt is in that universe and B. There are more hosed up justice league evil knockoffs. There is potential for a cool sequel or two. There is just a lot of potential.

The much better version of this idea was Thelma.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
So Angst was not better than Henry, sorry.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Ziggy and the split dude are gonna get fuuuucked up by that clown guy

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 18, 2019

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
So beyond In Voorhees We Trust.. why are all horror podcasts so loving bad? Every single one I've tried the people come across as really pompous with very little charisma and chemistry.

I guess people think just because they like movies and can nerd out to them that people will enjoy them babbling? You need to make it funny/witty and not just recite opinions and trivia about the movies.

bleh.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Darko posted:

To expand on this a little more...

IT in the book is a Galactus/Beerus/Unicron type of entity that comes from the space between worlds that works as a force of entropy in the universe. His opposite is the Turtle (lots of turtle drops in the first movie when you realize this) who is a force of creation and created the universe.

IT discovered Earth and found that he found fear especially tasty and filling as opposed to just destroying stuff. So instead of just eating planets or whatever, he, like Beerus, just sleeps, wakes up every 20 something years, eats until he feels full and goes back to sleep. He likes kids more because their imaginations are stronger so he gets more from scaring the poo poo out of them (and partially eating them because being eaten alive is one of the things people most fear).

IT's gluttony is kind of his undoing. IT's true self is basically an invincible unfathomable thing at the edge of the universe that Lovecrafts itself into "if you see my true self, you're catatonic or die." But to cause maximum fear, it puts itself into manifestations based on the person who it is chasing's imagination, which also gives itself the weaknesses of that person's imagination. So if it's like "hey this person is scared most of Dracula," it will become Dracula, but now it's weak against holy water and stakes and sun.

The Turtle and the actual G-God of the universe got tired of ITs poo poo, so they purposefully empowered and brought together the perfect group of imaginative kids who IT JUST missed killing and got obsessed with because of that. And then they subconsciously honed their same imagination/etc. as adults, instead of it falling off.

In the original sewer instance, nobody could figure out what it's true (physical) form was once they went to where it physical form was sitting (Pennywise is just basically a manifestation IT sends out) until Ben or someone realized it as a spider (webs stretching through Derry, many eyes, etc. metaphorically) and then everyone saw IT as that once he said that. So, when they face it again, they still understand it as a spider.

The miniseries...didn't, uh, do any of that, so it's just Tim Curry whose true form is a spider. The movie kind of played with it by portraying Pennywise as a marionette/puppet, but we'll see what they do here. It looks like they have the "get high by smoking yourself in a hatch as kids" sequence from the trailer, so they are probably getting into that. I'm wondering if they do a flashback of the kids chasing Pennywise after beating him to meet the spider form that we didn't see in the first movie.

This is just from the book then yes? Thanks for the summary, I never read it and it helps understand the ideas behind it all.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Davros1 posted:

My thing is, clowns are creepy as is, and the creepier you try to make them, the less effective it is. So by adding the dirty clothes, the devil horn smile, the rat incisors, and the drooling, for me, made a less threatening character then Curry's simple make up with the only thing seemingly "unnatural" about his design being the larger cranium.

I mean, this was Bozo the Clown. Imagine this popping up in the sewer asking if you'd want a balloon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyOF83n7ZCs

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Or resurrect the corpse of Gene Wilder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDxq3GR9leY

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Kvlt! posted:

did anyone actually ever have a clown come to their birthday party as a kid? thats a thing i've only seen in movies, growing up i never had a clown come to my or my friends bday parties. maybe we were too lame for clowns. or too cool for clowns :cool:

Yes. I went to several birthday parties as a kid with this lady clown duo. My cousin and I had birthdays a week apart and I specifically remember our combined birthday celebration had them perform when I was probably 6-7 years old.

Maybe that's why they don't bother me at all? Especially normal ones like Bozo.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Not the birthday party lady clowns but my cousins and I at some random fair or something with more cool clown dudes.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
The hardwired thing for instance, I have a coworker who has to go to therapy about spiders. She knows the vast majority of them can't hurt her, but the sight of one even on a screen and she freezes up in sheer terror.

I am going to buy her Arachnophobia as a big goofy. She can just watch the scene on repeat where Jeff Daniels is throwing wine everywhere while the queen watches with those eight eyes. She'll LOVE IT!

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Spiders bite and, in some parts of the world, are genuinely dangerous.

Anyways, it's not really the specific phobia that confuses me -- anything can be traumatic by association. If you're from a generation where John Wayne Gacy would have been in the broader public consciousness then I sort of get it, but it baffles me that in the year 2019 this is such a widespread aspect of pop culture. It's like if everyone just kind of accepted that plumbers or magicians were inherently terrifying.

In this part of the world very few will actually harm you and the ones that are potentially deadly need to strike several times and are not common to be seen with every day interaction.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I wish Jason would come back.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Basebf555 posted:

The clown thing is all about the rigid mask of false happiness that a clown wears, and how that covers their actual face and creates this sense that there must be something sinister under the surface. Not that these are explicit thoughts that a kid has when seeing a clown but there's a natural reaction that a lot of people have to someone who is always grinning like a maniac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD0s8JkdVi0

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Iron Crowned posted:

They always had at least a divine good as part of their mythology. A lot of their lyrics were about terrible people receiving some sort of punishment at the hands of the Dark Carnival.

This dude loves ICP everyone, point and laugh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulGaxBPk2jI

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
The scariest thing I have ever seen is the bear attack scene in Backcountry.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

All the clown hate got him down

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Tim Curry is a stroke victim or something wheelchair bound but making horror con appears for cash.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
It's because of it being 3 hours long and poorer reviews I'd imagine.

I thought it was a pretty decent decline in overall quality and enjoyment for me but still fine for what it is... the book ideas are too absurd to not seem silly once you put them on a screen.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I forgot to mention that my showing of IT 2 there was a 12-13 year old girl and her mother next to me that talked every 20-30 seconds THE ENTIRE loving MOVIE. They didn't even whisper.. just kept commenting on the movie and during scary scenes kept going OH NO!, OH NO!

I wanted Pennywise to pop out from under their seats and do the ol' chomp chomp.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Watched Harpoon last night, it's pretty good if you like a minimal dark comedy with slight horror elements.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Finished the french series Marianne on Netflix. It takes nearly every cliche in horror and wraps it all into one big thing. I liked it overall, it's pretty freaky at some points. A lot of it doesn't make sense but I mean.. horror.

Cube was waaay better than In The Tall Grass which was way too long and repetitive.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I can't believe almost none of you have tried out Marianne yet. It seems right up the alley of almost anyone who would be in this thread.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Gripweed posted:

I understand her appeal but I still support Bernie. I do wish she had qualified for the third debate though.

Marianne used her demon lover powers to give Bernie that heart attack. She will rule this realm some day.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
The drive in here played Beetlejuice last weekend and The Exorcist this weekend.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Anyone listen to In Myers We Trust episode one yet? It's great... and 3 hours and 40 minutes long.

Talking about classic horror like Universal/Hammer - they discuss at one point during it if Halloween and films like it are kind of like those movies are now for younger generations of horror fans. Like we have this framing of those movies from our own childhood but compared to some of the ultra intense stuff that comes out now that younger people have access to, Halloween is extremely tame (made well or not).

They mention that they could never find the classic monster movies scary because it seemed so far removed and there were way better things to see when they were young like Halloween and other classics from the 70s and 80s.

Anyone have some young people in their lives who don't find things like Halloween very scary?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Thelma is from Norway and loving rocks. Watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
That is cool as hell, I want to know too..

Also if anyone wants to follow each other on Letterboxd, a lot of horror but also drama.

https://letterboxd.com/tfowl/