Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Edit: If you're too cool for D&D, here is the CSPAM thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876907

Hello, goons of D&D! Earlier this year, forums user AhhYes organized a charity drive for immigrants by goons that raised more than 20,000 dollars! Today (which is December 8, 2018, when I wrote this) I donated blood. I’m generally broke and bad with money so I often only donate between 10 and 20 dollars to charities when I can, but I routinely donate blood. And as I was doing it this time I thought, you know, why don’t we do a goon blood/plasma drive?

This is the picture I took of myself when I was giving blood over the last weekend, and had this idea. :)

So that’s what this is going to be! Here are the rules:

1. Write on a piece of paper the following: “I donated blood for the Something Awful Forums!” Then, go donate blood/plasma, and take a picture of your arm with the piece of paper in the shot. If it’s not convenient to do it while the technicians are working (don’t get in their way!) then do it when you finish! This will be your proof of participation. You don’t have to and probably shouldn’t take a picture of yourself showing your face, but I won’t stop you if you’re a fearless goon. (If you don’t want to take a picture of yourself at all, you could take a picture of the paperwork they give you and write the message on there. Just make sure not to accidentally doxx yourself).
2. If you can’t or don’t want to donate blood, then you can substitute by making a donation to a reputable charity. There will be a list in the OP of charities known to be good, but if you want to choose another one (especially for non-American goons who want to help people in their local area) then be my guest. Just please research your charities and find one you can maximize your help by donating to! Post proof of this, generally the confirmation email, in the thread (remember to block out your email and personal information!).

As a reward and incentive for participating, we will be giving those who participate a gang tag designed by the very kind ShriekingMarxist! Please say thank you to SM!

We can also give out cute Christmas avatars, but that will be optional if you prefer the avatar you have now.

Sadly, I am broke, so I can’t do donation matching like AhhYes did. But if kind, well off goons would like to do donation matching,that would be super cool!

I will add a list of participants to the OP as time goes on. The cutoff for participation will be December 31st, 2018. Once the new year comes around, you won’t be able to get the gang tag for participation (until maybe next year if we do it again).

I’m not going to set any kind of minimum donation if you choose to go that route, but please donate in the spirit of trying to help those in need, and don’t go broke yourself to do this if you’re not well off.

Let’s make the world a slightly better place, goons!

Good charities to donate to:

GiveWell’s list of top charities.
Doctors Without Borders (MSF)
Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services
Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights
RAINN
https://justdetention.org/hope/
These are some suggestions, but if you have alternatives in mind, please post about them so that they might be added to the OP! Please choose charities based on need and their reputation for responsible service and do your research!

Prospective Avatar Options for You to Pick From:

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you want I can give you the Thanksgiving av of

to go with the gang tag.

:siren: Two goons have respectively offered to match $500 and $2000 worth of charity donations itt. :siren:

Contributor list:

VanguardFelix - $200 + $200 match from mystery person to JustDetention International
Bungeyjump - blood donation
Saagonsa - $25 to RAINN
Killer robot - $25 to RAICES
Leon Sumbitches - blood donation
El Pollo Blanco - blood donation
Xyven - donation matching, $560!
Solaris 2.0 - blood donation
A GIANT PARSNIP - $20 to AMF
glowing-fish - $10 to DWB/MSF
Krispy Wafer - $25 to JustDetention International
Shifty Pony - $120 to the ACLU
Winter Rose - $30 to SDRRN
tomapot - $50 to the Young Center
KickerOfMice - $10 to DWB/MSF
TheMightyHandful - blood donation
KDdidit - blood donation
theOctagon - $25
I dont know - $100 to DWB/MSF
Oracle - blood donation
Big Mad Drongo - $100 to the Young Center
Intoluene - blood donation
bandaid.friend - blood donation
axeil - $25 to DWB/MSF
Lager - blood donation
fishing with the fam - $50 to RAINN
eke out - $20 to the NWIRP
Nemo2342 - $35 to RAICES
Dave Grool - $55 to GiveWell
2DEG - $100 to DWB/MSF
Rampant Dwickery - $50 each to RAINN, the Trevor Project, and the Hispanic Federation
WhatEvil - 100 pounds to local food bank
DrNutt - $50 to RAICES
Dynastesaurus - $50 to the Young Center
Chilichimp - $25 to RAICES
bunnyofdoom - $30 to the Terry Fox Foundation
Queering Wheel - $50 to RAINN
FogOgg - $20 monthly donation to RAICES
PainterofCrap - $50 to DWB/MSF
Ginger Beer Belly - $50 + $50 employer match to DWB/MSF
Your Boy Fancy - $250(!) to DWB/MSF
Cochise - $25 to DWB/MSF
The Hooded Claw - 25 pounds to DWB/MSF.
pro starcraft loser - $25 to DWB/MSF
UltimoDragonQuest - blood donation
Potrzebie - $25 to MSF/DWB
CannonFodder - thread MVP, blood donation + $1,000 to Matenwa Learning Center, $1,000 to DWB/MSF, $1,000 to RAINN, and $479.31 to the Lowtax spine fund.
G.I. Jaw - $25 to RAINN
Giant Metal Robot - $200 to DWB/MSF
ANIME AKBAR - $500(!) to the Young Center.
bowmore - $12 to the ASRC
Moon Atari - $150 to the Smith Family Charity
Flannelette - $60 to DWB/MSF
Kommando - $74 to UNICEF
HonorableTB - $50 to DWB/MSF
Scrublord Prime - $80 to RAINN and $50 to the Terry Fox Foundation
Mexican Radio - 100$ respectively to RAINN, RAICES, and the Young Center + employer matched
System Metternich - blood donation
taiyoko - blood donation
torgo - $50 to RAICES
Wingnut Ninja - $100 to RAINN
Farchanter - $50 to RAICES
Doom Goon - $12 to DWB/MSF
Zauper- $100 each for bread for the city, caring bridge, st judes, peer forward (formerly college summit), international rescue committee.
Chilly Rabbit - blood donation
ambitious spider - $25 to RAICES
froglet - blood/platelet donation
Hawkeye - $250 to the Young Center
LeoMarr - $10 to the Clinton Foundation (lol)
NPR Journalizard - blood donation
iajanus - donation to DWB/MSF
vitalsigns - $100 to Young Center for Immigrant Rights
Eighty - blood donation
Lunar Suite - donation to Crisis
Urcher - blood donation
Whitlam - blood donation
Fulchrum - $100 to the Young Center and $25 to RAICES
eviltastic - blood donation
mmj - blood donation matching
Staltran - $50 to anti-malaria charities

total for this thread, roughly, not including conversions for foreign currencies: $8,743

total for both threads + donation matching is: $14,375.71!

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VanguardFelix posted:

edit: Are we supposed to indicate donation amount?

:siren: You don't have to indicate donation amount but if you do I'll put it next to your name in the OP. :siren:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

friendbot2000 posted:

Can you give blood if you are on ADHD meds?

Yes (but check the list. They’ll ask you about it and defer you if it is but I’m on ADHD meds and it was fine).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Xyven posted:

I'll match the next $500 of donations

Oh my gosh, thank you!

I have been crazy busy the last two days and haven’t had a chance to update the OP but I will tonight. I have been seeing your posts!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I donated plasma earlier today before I saw this thread, hopefully I'll get another donation in before the 31st this month though, and will take a picture!

e: did actually get a picture of my donation yesterday, can I post my donor id card with the message as proof or is this fine as it is?

I've been accepting them without the message because if you're petty enough to lie about this for an avatar/gang tag, you're already going to Hell. :colbert:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

glowing-fish posted:

Is it okay if this doubles with the $10 I am donating every time a Republican operative/flunky gets indicted or pleads guilty?

I don't anticipate many of them will be pleading guilty before January 1st but if you donate more, just post again!

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 16, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Winter Rose posted:

If this qualifies, I'd love a puppies av :D

It does!

Currently there's still issues with image uploading so I would expect that avatars and gang tags, etc., will likely happen some time in January so that we can make sure we get everyone and the technical issues are sorted out.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Intoluene posted:

Wasn't able to get a blood donation until 5th due to scheduling with the local hospital.

I'm willing to accept some kind of proof of blood donation being scheduled if you toxx for it.

(I'll also accept going to do the appointment but being declined for health reasons, re: toxx)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The lovely administration staff at Something Awful have fixed the image uploading system, avatars will now commence for those who requested one of the new ones.

:siren: Please include in your post what avatar you want or if you don't want one, if you want to decline the gang tag, etc. We can keep your current avatar just add the gang tag if you prefer. :siren:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I’m not home right now but tonight I’ll update the OP. PPJ may queue your changed before then tho. Thank you everyone who has contributed so far. :)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
If you want to email it to me that’s fine, I’ve been moving my poo poo out of my apartment all afternoon so I will update the OP when I get home tonight.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
We're up to $2035 so far + 100 euros which I'm too lazy to convert but I'm pretty sure euros are worth more than dollars right now so yay for breaking the 2100 mark. pounds (lol I'm stupid)

https://imgur.com/a/lkqzjw9

A kind poster has been matching all your donations btw, and I assume may continue to do so as I update the OP. :)

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 23, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WhatEvil posted:

Uh is that image supposed to have names on it? IDGI

A poster has been matching the donations of other posters and the names correspond to people who donated.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Never made it to the hospital I was going to donate blood to. Apparently the city is closing it. Because of course.

:smith:

I'm about to update the OP and queue avatar changes if PPJ hasn't already, good job goon friends.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Potrzebie posted:

Can't donate blood for three more months due to quarantine after vacation. Did donate $25 to MSF though, on top of my recurring $10/month.

If I could get this Pol Pot AV replaced by Vo Nguyen Giap that would be awesome, otherwise the gang tag is nice too.

Can you post a picture/screenshot of the email they sent you with your name edited out? I can accept as a PM/email if you don’t want to post it publicly.

also I can’t give you an avatar of other thing even if I was so inclined because it has to be on the servers but when I get home tonight I’ll queue up the next round of avatar/gang tag changes.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
:eyepop: I can’t photoshop but uh, I’ll look into it, thanks my dude!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Fulchrum posted:

I can't really give blood, its hard to find a major vein and theres a high risk of accidentally getting a nerve. So, I decided to donate money to the Human Fund instead.

I also gave money to the Young Center for Immigrant Childrens Rights.

The prodigal son returneth! What avatar do you want, if any?

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 26, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Every one so far has either declined the tag/av, gotten the tag/av, or is queued for it (merry christmas admins, no rush), so in a day or two when the admins have had a chance to process the queue I'll double check again I didn't miss anyone.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
If you are currently probated and reading this thread, :siren: I will accept your submissions (and theoretically PPJ will as well) by PM, or you may send them to me at lightningknightsa@gmail.com. :siren:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Whitlam posted:

Don't want a tag or av or anything but for the sake of adding my voice to the rest, I just donated blood and took my brother along too.

Well if you don't want a tag or avatar I suppose it doesn't matter if you do or don't want to post a picture.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I made a strained Chick pun and hosed up the speech bubble. Got a shirt and $5 Dunkin though.

Did you want an avatar and/or gangtag?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Making good on my gang tag toxx from before the 1/15 extension. No avatar, thanks.

Oh durr I totally forgot, I am the most gullible person lol.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mmj posted:

Has anyone offered to match blood donations yet? Usually I just do double red three times a year because I'm lazy but if no one else has I'll :toxx: to donating platelets instead once for each person that donates before the 1/15 cutoff, up to the end of the year (so like 24-25 donations). Red Cross lets me donate once every 14 days with platelets so I can post bi-weekly updates in a side thread or something to hold to the toxx.

I'm willing to accept this from you up to the point that is medically safe for you to do so following the rules of your chosen donation place.

Since this thread will not remain open all year, you could send your proof to myself or PPJ or Ard via PM or email (my email is in my profile).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://imgur.com/a/Iu0JtqA - donation matches from a kind goon