Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Hello, goons of CSPAM! Earlier this year, forums user AhhYes organized a charity drive for immigrants by goons that raised more than 20,000 dollars! Today (which is December 8, 2018, when I wrote this) I donated blood. I’m generally broke and bad with money so I often only donate between 10 and 20 dollars to charities when I can, but I routinely donate blood. And as I was doing it this time I thought, you know, why don’t we do a goon blood/plasma drive?

This is the picture I took of myself when I was giving blood over the last weekend, and had this idea. :)

So that’s what this is going to be! Here are the rules:

1. Write on a piece of paper the following: “I donated blood for the Something Awful Forums!” Then, go donate blood/plasma, and take a picture of your arm with the piece of paper in the shot. If it’s not convenient to do it while the technicians are working (don’t get in their way!) then do it when you finish! This will be your proof of participation. You don’t have to and probably shouldn’t take a picture of yourself showing your face, but I won’t stop you if you’re a fearless goon. (If you don’t want to take a picture of yourself at all, you could take a picture of the paperwork they give you and write the message on there. Just make sure not to accidentally doxx yourself).
2. If you can’t or don’t want to donate blood, then you can substitute by making a donation to a reputable charity. There will be a list in the OP of charities known to be good, but if you want to choose another one (especially for non-American goons who want to help people in their local area) then be my guest. Just please research your charities and find one you can maximize your help by donating to! Post proof of this, generally the confirmation email, in the thread (remember to block out your email and personal information!).

As a reward and incentive for participating, we will be giving those who participate a gang tag designed by the very kind ShriekingMarxist! Please say thank you to SM!

We can also give out cute Christmas avatars, but that will be optional if you prefer the avatar you have now.

Sadly, I am broke, so I can’t do donation matching like AhhYes did. But if kind, well off goons would like to do donation matching,that would be super cool!

I will add a list of participants to the OP as time goes on. The cutoff for participation will be December 31st, 2018. Once the new year comes around, you won’t be able to get the gang tag for participation (until maybe next year if we do it again).

I’m not going to set any kind of minimum donation if you choose to go that route, but please donate in the spirit of trying to help those in need, and don’t go broke yourself to do this if you’re not well off.

Let’s make the world a slightly better place, goons!

Good charities to donate to:

GiveWell’s list of top charities.
Doctors Without Borders (MSF)
Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services
Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights
RAINN
These are some suggestions, but if you have alternatives in mind, please post about them so that they might be added to the OP! Please choose charities based on need and their reputation for responsible service and do your research!

Prospective Avatar Options for You to Pick From:

:siren: Two goons have respectively offered to match $500 and $2000 worth of charity donations itt. :siren:

Contributor list:

Stefan Prodan - $100 to GiveWell
Arrgytehpirate - $20 to GiveWell
an actual dog - $25 to RAINN
skeleton warrior - $50 to RAINN
Ryuga Death - $25 to RAINN
I did a thing - $25 to RAICES
RandomPauI - Volunteering at a blood center to assist with donations
withak - $50 to RAICES
Call Your Grandma - $50 to RAICES
e.e.coli - donation to RAICES
Buck Wildman - blood donation
jerry seinfel - $55 to GiveWell
Radish - $100 to the Young Center
Qu Appelle - $25 donation to RAICES
Shear Modulus - $20 monthly to Save the Children
gradenko_2000 - $10 to PCRF
Theris - $50 to RAICES
alnilam $280 to DWB/MSF, $250 to Save the Children
Turmoil - $50 to DWB/MSF
Ruzihm - $50 to Food Not Bombs
slouch - $45 to Annunciation House
Plank Walker - $50 to DWB/MSF
a helpful bear - $75 to RAICES
BraveUlysses - $250 to the Young Center (to own the chud)
Fallen Hamprince - $35 to RAICES
really queer Christmas - $50 to DWB/MSF
petit choux - $100 to DWB/MSF, blood donation
Ayn Randi - $50 to DWB/MSF
Ytlaya - $31.20 to the Innocence Project
DiscountDildos - $100 to DWB/MSF
Yinlock -$25 to RAICES
ajkalan - $30 to GiveWell, $50 to RAINN
Nate405 - $200 to GiveWell
ShriekingMarxist - $50 to RAINN, created the gang tag!
Pepperoneedy - $40 to RAINN
Bizarro Kanyon - $50 to the Young Center
Wyatt SYN-ACK - $35 to RAICES
Twoday - $20 to Givewell
SgtScruffy - blood donation
HugeGrossBurrito - $10 to RAINN
Muscle Wizard - $24.80 to Schools for Chiapas
Chard - blood donation
ur in my world now - $690(nice!) to DWB/MSF
Damo - $25 to RAINN
Nichael - $25 to RAINN
Thesaurus - $50 to the St. Francis Center
runupon cracker - $25 to the Palestine Children Relief Fund
Pand - blood donation
rabble rabble - $100 to DWB/MSF
BoredDG - blood donation
metalcontempt - blood donation

total for this thread is $3,471, not including conversions for foreign currencies.

total for both threads + donation matching is: $14,375.71!

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Stefan Prodan posted:

Do we post in here to get the gang tag? There's no one else posting in here which makes me think I'm loving this up somehow???

Anyway I gave $100 to GiveDirectly so that some Kenyans can get a roof, that seems like a good use of my bux.

you do post here yes! I wish more CSPAMers would post here, I made you guys a separate thread so you wouldn’t even have to go to D&D! :mad:

I will edit the OP with your name and amount contributed when I get home, thanks for participating!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Terror Sweat posted:

They won't let me donate blood for another week, but I will do it then

Cool! The OP is now up to date with people who have contributed and posted, we need more CSPAM participation people!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
edit: I am illiterate.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 16, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

an actual dog posted:

Pretty sure I can't donate blood because of homophobia

gently caress man I thought about this when I had this idea but I didn’t realize it would be so many of you. I’m sorry. :(

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lightning Knight posted:

The lovely administration staff at Something Awful have fixed the image uploading system, avatars will now commence for those who requested one of the new ones.

:siren: Please include in your post what avatar you want or if you don't want one, if you want to decline the gang tag, etc. We can keep your current avatar just add the gang tag if you prefer. :siren:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
There have been $220 of charity donations itt so far, plus matching by outside contributors. Good job so far but also where my CSPAM peeps at?

https://imgur.com/a/lkqzjw9

A kind poster has been matching all your donations btw, and I assume may continue to do so as I update the OP. :)

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 23, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

RandomPauI posted:

I was already signed up to work a Red Cross blood drive shift on the 31st anyways. I can't donate and the nearest fixed site is an hour away so I go with the mobile date/location that's the most convenient for me.

If you have some kind of paperwork/proof to post for this that you can edit your name/personal information off I'm willing to accept it for the purposes of the avatar/gang tag.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
:siren: Please edit/state in your posts which avatar if any you want along with your gang tag, tia. :siren:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
If you are currently probated and reading this thread, :siren: I will accept your submissions (and theoretically PPJ will as well) by PM, or you may send them to me at lightningknightsa@gmail.com. :siren:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

FizFashizzle posted:

i donated blood at work tonight but i couldn't take a picture of it

i work at a hospital

If you have any of the paperwork you could take a picture of it and write something SA related on it?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ytlaya posted:

I donated to Innocence Project (you should probably add it to the OP as well; it's a really good charity that deals with helping to exonerate wrongfully convicted people).

At this point in the run I'm probably not going to bother changing the list in the OP since we're so close to the end, but we've been discussing the prospect of trying for another drive in the middle of next year and I can have a more comprehensive list then. I've gotten some suggestions in between both threads and PMs and there will be more lead in next time, this little project was kind of spur of the moment. :shobon:

Do you desire an avatar and/or gang tag?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

i'm gonna try to donate blood on the 31st, but I dunno if they'll let me

If you make an appointment after the cut off but take a picture of the confirmation and toxx that you'll go then I'll accept it. You'll just have to post the paperwork once you go. "Medical deferment" will be accepted in lieu of that if you're deferred because if you're gonna lie about it then idk man it's such a petty thing lol.

This goes for everyone else too btw.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DiscountDildos posted:

sent some dollars to the borderless doctors

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ruzihm posted:

poo poo!!!!!! i should have asked for this

You didn't make the gang tag. :colbert:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Thanks goons for helping out those in need.

Having now accepted your proof and queued your avatar, I would like to point out to you that your imgur links to a picture with your actual first name on it and you may wish to take it down now.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

twoday posted:

You are all giving to human-based charities, I want to give something of the little I have to preserving nature

Is that cool or not

I could also give something to people

I'm ok with animal-related charities as long as they're reputable, please don't give your money to PETA.

A goon suggested this charity to me if you're interested in the Pacific northwest: https://www.pasadosafehaven.org/

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

twoday posted:

I want to give money to a beekeeping charity and after doing some research I think https://beeinformed.org seems to be a pretty reputable bee-oriented charity that not only does research but also supports beekeepers. After taking beekeeping lessons I decided not to become one but I have sympathy for them

There is a serious pollination crisis happening, and the whole planet's ecosystem will be hosed if we don't help combat the pollination crisis

I know it's not a sexy cause but I think it's important

I don't even want an av or gangtag

Maybe a plat icon if that's an option and people don't think this is a stupid cause

I'm willing to accept this to put your name in the OP but the only person who's gotten a plat icon for this drive so far was SM and that's because he made the gang tag. It's not a thing anyone else will be getting most likely.

(I got one because mod. :smug: )

Are you sure you don't want the gang tag?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
You’re good!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

RandomPauI posted:

Blood drive update: It's being done thru an outdoor bloodmobile and it's winter. So, cold. 3 ppl so far though

You should take a picture of the bus if you can avoid getting people's faces in it!

Not as a proof thing, just for funsies.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ooo, it's nice and sunny by you! I'm jealous. :)

Thank you for giving blood, and thank you to everyone who has donated so far!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

RandomPauI posted:

I'm not able to donate because of potential mad cow exposure back in 1985 so I do blood services instead. I'm registering people until 2:30.

The bus is tunneling the wind, so my towel on the chair is doing double duty as a scarf

Oh right, I remember!

Well then you're gonna get lots of blood for Peter Thiel for sick people!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ur in my world now posted:

this one's for you wheez, RIP buddy

Would you like an avatar and/or gang tag?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Nichael posted:

Donated $25 to RAINN:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://imgur.com/a/Iu0JtqA - donation matches from a kind goon