Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Amelia Peabody books by Elizabeth Peters seem like they'd fit with what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Fighting Trousers posted:

So I've been on a massive Brother Cadfael kick again. They are the epitome of comfort reads for me, but I'm thinking I want to try out some other historical mysteries. Preferablly relatively cozy - I'm not a fan of the grimdark blood-and-poo poo variety.

You might want to try Steve Hockensmith's' Holmes on the Range series, which has a pair of cowboy brothers solving mysteries in the US west in the 1890's.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Selachian posted:

Lindsey Davis's Marcus Didius Falco books are good and there are plenty of them.

Those are the ones I wanted to mention, but I've only read about... five of them.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, and I should throw in a mention for Troy Soos's Mickey Rawlings series, where the detective is a baseball player in the pre-WWI major leagues.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Also, if you want cozy, they're not historical but the milieu fairly exotic to someone from the North Hemisphere:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_No._1_Ladies%27_Detective_Agency

It's a very warm, pleasant read.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Helpful goons posted:

Some great suggestions

Excellent! My library save list runneth over.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megazver posted:

Also, if you want cozy, they're not historical but the milieu fairly exotic to someone from the North Hemisphere:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_No._1_Ladies%27_Detective_Agency

It's a very warm, pleasant read.

Too bad the plot is suck.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Too bad the plot is suck.

Does it? Most books I've read in the series were about 50% slice-of-life, but I wouldn't call it "plot is suck".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megazver posted:

Does it? Most books I've read in the series were about 50% slice-of-life, but I wouldn't call it "plot is suck".

I only read the one and instead of the detective solving the crime, the crime just kinda solves itself.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yes, it's not a whodunnit series. She does the kind of private investigation actual private investigators in real life usually do.

The series might not be for you.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I just read the fourth book by Mary Fitt from Moonstone Press' recent string of reprints, and it was excellent and had a different perspective from what I'm used to. All of her books that I've read so far have been really good, but I think my favorite was Death and the Pleasant Voices.

The thing I liked best about it was the excellent psychological description of how the Random Stranger Whose Car Broke Down, Causing Him To Appear At the Scene of the Crime to Be the Audience Surrogate, a young medical student, finds himself randomly and unexpectedly the heir to All The Money as a result of shenanigans, and the immediate unbalancing effect this has on him, in spite of all his efforts to avoid it.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
These seemed appropriate to post here. From comic artist Ahmed Raafat's Twitter; World's Greatest DetectivesTM Can you name them all?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The_Other posted:

These seemed appropriate to post here. From comic artist Ahmed Raafat's Twitter; World's Greatest DetectivesTM Can you name them all?

Sure! I'll name them (clockwise from the top) Cat-Man, Señor Del Monte, Knatterton Cosplayer, Vape Hobo, and Hank.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The_Other posted:

one of these hasn't had nearly a deep enough documented career to stand in the same company as the others.

edit: benoit blanc

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 20, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
yeah gently caress batman

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

incidentally if you haven't seen all of Columbo, it's all on Tubi for free.

I watched all 69 episodes over 2 years with a friend, and it was one of the best TV experiences I've ever had.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fate Accomplice posted:

one of these hasn't had nearly a deep enough documented career to stand in the same company as the others.

Spoiler not helping.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fate Accomplice posted:

I thought that was Doc Savage. Or Peter Wimsey.
Who the hell is benoit blanc?

Also,

Megazver posted:

yeah gently caress batman

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Knives Out/Glass Onion guy

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Who the hell is benoit blanc?

The detective from recent movies Knives Out and Glass Onion

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If Batman were a real detective then Joker wouldn't keep getting out of prison

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I finally got a chance to listen to a clip of the new recording of Thus Was Adonis Murdered, and wow, I have no idea what's going on there. It sounds like the narrator is trying to convey Professor Tamar's androgyny (which wouldn't even be right because the point of the character isn't that they have an uncommon gender, it's that they have one the reader isn't privy to) by switching back and forth between male and female speech patterns? Or something?

I don't know, but it gives me a headache.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Just finished hard case crime #001, Lawrence Block’s “Grifter’s Game.”

Super predictable plot except for an absolute haymaker of an ending I did not see coming at all.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I just read The Maid by Anita Prose which bills itself as 'like Clue in a hotel' and it won reader awards and is being adapted into a movie.

It was real bad. Leaving aside Knox and whatnot (no, you cannot as a reader solve this), the book is basically a worse version of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, which you may remember from a decade+ ago as being about an autistic boy trying to solve the crime of his neighbour's dog's death.

The Maid is also autistic except this word is never mentioned in the book and is treated as quirky rather than an actual issue that maybe she should talk to a real support person for.

Reading the blurb and prologue you may assume that being both autistic and a maid the book might actually make use of the concept that she is effectively invisible to hotel guests and also would notice something other people miss. This literally doesn't even happen.

Actively disrecommend.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I read a Dr. Thorndyke novel (maybe "Eye of Horus?) where the entire time I was thinking Oh PLEASE don't let the big twist be that the maid didn't know the victim and therefore the dude she saw could've been anyone but somehow the entire universe except for Thorndyke fails to immediately notice this rather important fact but, welp...

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fate Accomplice posted:

Just finished hard case crime #001, Lawrence Block’s “Grifter’s Game.”

Super predictable plot except for an absolute haymaker of an ending I did not see coming at all.

That ending is wild and means I’m almost certainly going to reread it at some point.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Been reading the original Kosuke Kindaichi novels by Seishi Yokomizo, since they've been recently translated by Pushkin Press. There's a specific characterization beat that keeps popping up that I'm really into. Being classic rear end mysteries, there's a lot of focus on mechanics of locked rooms or crime scenes. A woman's corpse found under a giant bell or hanging on a tree, things like that. Those sections don't do a lot for me, but what really works is the conclusion Kindaichi outlines once he's solved the crime scene puzzle: it takes a special kind of bonkers for a murderer to commit so fully to building a murder set-up like this. It helps add layers to picking apart suspects, because the crime scenes themselves are so attention-grabbing, you have to start picking apart who's motive is obsessive enough that they'd feel compelled to build a crime scene like this.

Its such a specific level of nuance to nail, but it adds a lot to each book's narrative. The mystery puzzles are just as unusual to imagine in real life as it does within the fiction, so it ends up adding more suspicion to the cast than less. Its a phenomenal touch.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The Penguin Book of Gaslight Crime turns out to have a lot of really good stuff, and it focuses on authors you've probably never heard of instead of the same old guys, which is nice. I'm probably going to check a lot of this stuff that's on Project Gutenberg out, especially the stories about Colonel Clay, who appears to be on-track to swindle the same millionaire in each of twelve different short stories.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

The Penguin Book of Gaslight Crime turns out to have a lot of really good stuff, and it focuses on authors you've probably never heard of instead of the same old guys, which is nice. I'm probably going to check a lot of this stuff that's on Project Gutenberg out, especially the stories about Colonel Clay, who appears to be on-track to swindle the same millionaire in each of twelve different short stories.

Lmao gotta check that out. Sounds like a Hanna-Barbera cartoon concept.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just finished Martin Cruz Smith's "Polar Star" in two days. I'd forgotten how pleasant it is to read a good thriller, because nowadays crime writers don't have editors (that do their job) and everything is a 300-page book with 400 added pages of poo poo.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I wound up getting a copy of How Doth the Little Crocodile, an extremely out-of-print title by Anthony and Peter Schaffer, one of whom you may recall as the author of Equus. I'm kind of wishing I hadn't; I had gotten the impression that it was meant to be a sort of "comic crime" novel, but all the characters in it were unpleasant, the godlike detective Mr. Verity/Mr. Fathom the worst of all. As far as I'm concerned, this one can stay out of print.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

So I felt like I need to read some more modern mystery writers, and on my latest visit to a used bookstore I picked up Malcolm Mackay's In the Cage Where Your Saviors Hide. I liked the book design, and private eye stuff in modern Scotland by a Scottish writer sounded promising.

Okay, so it's set in a fictional city. Not a problem, I'm a fan of the 87th Precinct books so I'm used to fictional cities that are thinly disguised versions of real cities.

Except ... this is also a fictional world where Scotland is an independent country with its own monarchy, and has colonized parts of Central America. That's a bit more different.

The protagonist, it turns out, works for a "research agency" because he'd rather not deal with all the rules private detectives have to follow. The book introduces him at a party with lots of talk about how impressively cool and laid-back he is. He's there following a serial rapist/murderer, and he watches as the guy picks up a girl, trails them back to the man's apartment, waits for the screams to start, and then busts in and beats up the rapist, finishing up by stomping on his dick. He then turns the rapist over to the police, who are very grateful for the help and let him go with a pat on the head and several mentions of how funny the dick-stomping was. At which point I put the book aside.

Has anyone else tried Mackay? Does it get better?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Selachian posted:

Except ... this is also a fictional world where Scotland is an independent country with its own monarchy, and has colonized parts of Central America. That's a bit more different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
So I’ve been dipping my toe in mystery novels lately with some classics but was curious if anyone had any opinions about Thomas King’s work? I read his non mystery novel, Green Grass, Running Water a long time ago and enjoyed it and am interested in his DreadfulWater mysteries.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I wound up reading The Woman in the Wardrobe, the first Mr. Verity mystery, because I'd already ordered it (for some reason this one never got an ebook and has fallen out of print already so I had to eBay it), and found it was a lot better than How Doth the Little Crocodile, in part because it was actually funny and seemed to remember that Mr. Verity is supposed to be a colossal rear end in a top hat. In this one he actually goes around offending people and committing crimes, whereas the second book has him as the embodiment of divine judgment even though he spends all his time staying in hotels he doesn't like and complaining to the staff's faces about the food.

I'm vaguely reminded about Everett True, who is funny as long as he's beating people up over trivial grievances, but becomes insufferable any time the writer thinks he has the moral high ground.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Was kindly redirected here from The Book Recommendation Thread.

Rand Brittain posted:

Margery Allingham, creator of the universal uncle Mr. Campion (start with Death of a Ghost or Police at the Funeral)
Ngaio Marsh, creator of Roderick Alleyn and his much more interesting wife, Agatha Troy (start with Death and the Dancing Footman or Final Curtain)
Dorothy L. Sayers, creator of the aristocratic Lord Peter Wimsey, and also made a rather nice translation of the Divine Comedy (start with Murder Must Advertise)[/list]

Just had a few follow up questions:

Since these are all a similar era to Christie, I imagine don't have to worry too much about graphic descriptions of blood and gore, right?

Based on these Wikipedia articles, it sounds like Allingham's works are a pastiche of Sayer's, so should I start with Sayer before Allingham? Does it matter?

When you say "start with X" what do you mean by that? Is it just because those are the best and you shouldn't bother if you don't like that one? I know people suggest their Star Trek viewing (start at season 2) or anime viewing (skip this filler arc) for various reasons.

I'm hesitant to start with the recommendations for a few reasons:

If I start with the best ones, then I don't have much to look forward to as they will necessarily go downhill, and I like believing I have good books ahead of me
I enjoyed reading the Holmes works in order of writing to see how the prose changed (in Doyle's case, in my opinion it starts strong and gets even better, which is a help)
I don't really fancy needing to discover new works terribly often so getting an entire series to read over months and years is much more appealing than hunting around.
My time is worthless and I am in no rush to get anywhere

So, I was probably just going to read things within a series in order of publication unless there's a compelling reason to not. At the same point, I see some comments here saying that Whose Body? (Sayer's first Whimsey book) isn't very good so maybe that isn't wise.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Magnetic North posted:

Since these are all a similar era to Christie, I imagine don't have to worry too much about graphic descriptions of blood and gore, right?

No.

quote:

Based on these Wikipedia articles, it sounds like Allingham's works are a pastiche of Sayer's, so should I start with Sayer before Allingham? Does it matter?

I wouldn't call Allingham a pastiche of Sayers at all; they have very different goals in mind.

quote:

When you say "start with X" what do you mean by that? Is it just because those are the best and you shouldn't bother if you don't like that one? I know people suggest their Star Trek viewing (start at season 2) or anime viewing (skip this filler arc) for various reasons.

If you're prepared to go through and read the whole series regardless, just read whatever you want.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Magnetic North posted:

If I start with the best ones, then I don't have much to look forward to as they will necessarily go downhill, and I like believing I have good books ahead of me
I enjoyed reading the Holmes works in order of writing to see how the prose changed (in Doyle's case, in my opinion it starts strong and gets even better, which is a help)
I don't really fancy needing to discover new works terribly often so getting an entire series to read over months and years is much more appealing than hunting around.
My time is worthless and I am in no rush to get anywhere

So, I was probably just going to read things within a series in order of publication unless there's a compelling reason to not. At the same point, I see some comments here saying that Whose Body? (Sayer's first Whimsey book) isn't very good so maybe that isn't wise.

Wimsey is worth reading from the beginning but remember Sayers is inventing a lot of tropes as she goes, so don't fault her for doing things others have imitated. We did Strong Poison as Book of the Month a while back and it's a good place to start: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983771, but there is an ongoing book to book storyline that develops over the course of the Wimsey books so if reading out of order bothers you start with the first one.

I tend to read Allingham's Campion as starting out as a light parody of Wimsey and then going off in his own direction after that. Sayers is probably the better writer but Campion the better character, imho.

I would also, since you like reading things in chronological order, strongly recommend you try reading the complete Nero Wolfe books, all forty-odd, in publication order. He wrote one a year starting in the 30's and going to the 70's or so, so you get this marvelous 40-year snapshot of Manhattan and America changing over decades, it's immensely interesting.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
When it comes to Wimsey, the one book I always recommend is Murder Must Advertise and it's got absolutely nothing to do with being clever about the mystery or having surprising twists; I'd even argue the (extremely cheesy) crimes are secondary to the shenanigans at the advertising agency. It's light, it's funny and it just flows well.

Hell, the book has a chapter describing a cricket match. I have absolutely no idea how cricket is played or what any of the rules or scores mean - but I never skipped it on rereads, it's just fun.

If you want a book with a more engaging mystery element, I'd go with The Nine Tailors.

e: It also helps that they're both books where Wimsey only acts insufferable on purpose as opposed to just being that way.

e2: There's also Sayers' short stories - while the quality varies wildly, I always loved their overly verbose names.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looking forward to them.