Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"We're giving the Booker to a black woman who has written about the marginalization of her race in literature, but she's gonna have to split it with a white woman who's getting an award for showing up"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

holy poo poo, there are multiple threads in the Book Barn

what an imbecile I am

That said, I'm sure there have to be any number of extremely inside-baseball mystery novels about the literary world, because writing about writers and/or thinly-veiled versions of their enemies is universal writer catnip.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Nobody can remember a single thing in Passenger to Frankfurt or that it exists.

I remember a few details about it, but in the way you remember fleeting details of anxiety dreams -- this happened, but why? What can it mean?

I read the Wikipedia plot summary to try and jog my memory, but it's also completely incoherent, which I'm not inclined to blame on Wikipedia for once.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

I think Christie's very late (70s) works are generally considered the worst by people who have read literally everything she wrote; apparently she was getting a bit senile while still having big-name-author protection from editors, so the plotting just became outright incoherent.

Postern of Fate is terrible for this. I think it's the most confused book I've ever read; the entire cast and the narrative voice seem completely lost the entire time.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, early Christie is definitely old-timey racist in some uncomfortable ways. I know at least one book (probably multiple books) casually drops "dagoes" to refer to eastern European people, and the less said about the extensive praise of Rhodesia in The Man in the Brown Suit, the better.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Oh my god the knife is Catholic

Next-level poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Man, on what planet could Miss Marple not crack Kira over her knee like a dry branch

There have probably been like three Death Note cases in St Mary Mead