Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

hughesta posted:

bears chargers superbowl is gonna be awesome

https://twitter.com/NFLResearch/status/1073436859483615232

it is 1985

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Strobe posted:

I don't think it's likely, I just think it's a lot more likely than pulling off a lateral bonanza on a kick return.

At the very least you can try to start your lateral bonanza at midfield instead of the 5 if the receiver manages to catch it.

My view is they're all like a 2% chance of success at best, but on a kick return at least you've got 10 other guys in much better position then on a regular pass attempt where you've got 6 worthless guys.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Chargers/status/1073436014012579841

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Intruder posted:

pretty sure you can't which I'm pretty sure is the whole point of bouncing it on onside kicks

Wikipedia says it has to be called while the ball is in-flight, but I don't see any restriction on if it was called before the ball bounces.

I can't say I exactly expect the returner to signal literally as the ball is being kicked, but I still think he should have just fallen on it and given it to Mahomes.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

That was definitely a makeup call for the missed helmet-to-helmet on Rivers

maybe but he clearly held his arm down. i dont think it was catchable anyway but the Arm Was Held

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Yeah, fair catch is off if the ball hits the ground

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

For a second I thought they were about to show the Swat team scooping up Elian Gonzales.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Strobe posted:

Wikipedia says it has to be called while the ball is in-flight, but I don't see any restriction on if it was called before the ball bounces.

I can't say I exactly expect the returner to signal literally as the ball is being kicked, but I still think he should have just fallen on it and given it to Mahomes.

If you call for a Fair Catch but don't field it, it then becomes a live ball. I know this because my dumb loving team did it this year

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

That was definitely a makeup call for the missed helmet-to-helmet on Rivers

https://twitter.com/BloggingTheBoys/status/1073437602274045957

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Strobe posted:

I dunno man this honestly feels like a huge reach at this point, the game was over

I'd give better odds to a BBQ city miracle than a 90+ yard miracle TD pass

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Kickoffs are always live balls, fair catch or not

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kalli posted:

My view is they're all like a 2% chance of success at best, but on a kick return at least you've got 10 other guys in much better position then on a regular pass attempt where you've got 6 worthless guys.

I honestly trust the Chiefs receivers more than I trust the Chiefs return guys when the two don't overlap. Obviously we're not going to be able to explore what might have been, but I don't feel like putting it Mahomes's hands to try and make a play is a worse idea than what happened.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

wyoak posted:

I know on kicks through the endzone the clock doesn't start

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

wyoak posted:

Only if the other team touches it 1st. But not on a failed Fair Catch

edit onsides too, I guess

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Intruder posted:

I meant as far as who can recover the ball. But yeah Mahomes isn’t throwing a ball 95 yards and the Chargers aren’t putting Gates back deep

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

If you call for a Fair Catch but don't field it, it then becomes a live ball. I know this because my dumb loving team did it this year

I learned something today.

Intruder posted:

I dunno man this honestly feels like a huge reach at this point, the game was over

I'd give better odds to a BBQ city miracle than a 90+ yard miracle TD pass

Eh, I wouldn't. I don't think it's likely, but I think it was more likely.

EDIT: I should clarify I'm not expecting a 95 yard Hail Mary bomb. In my ultimate fantasy it's Tyreek Hill mocking the entire opposing defense like the Cowboys game last year.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Has there ever been a city less deserving of two really good play-off teams than LA

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Onside kicks?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

Yeah the clock doesn't start until the receiving team touches it.

Hmmm...it's either touches it or gains possession and I'm not sure which now that I think about it. I know no time goes off the clock if the kicking team recovers and it's never touched.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Make this the forum background.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Has there ever been a city less deserving of two really good play-off teams than LA

Boston?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

edit onsides too, I guess

Kickoffs are always live so long as the ball goes at least 10 yards or a receiving team member touches it before the 10 yard mark. The clock doesn't start until someone legally touches a live ball.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

I learned something today.

Eh, I wouldn't. I don't think it's likely, but I think it was more likely.

The dolphins play against NE last weekend was the longest play from scrimmage ever to win a game with no time remaining, so considering its literally never happened (and stuff like the music city miracle has happened) I don’t think it could be considered more likely. Anyway arguing which hypothetical miracle is more likely is kinda silly

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Amen.

Also I'm gonna laugh when we get the Los Angeles Bowl.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

"But it's Pat Mahomes" loses all meaning when you take into account that you're still counting on a short pass that turns into a crazy lateral situation anyway

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Kickoffs are always live so long as the ball goes at least 10 yards or a receiving team member touches it before the 10 yard mark. The clock doesn't start until someone legally touches a live ball.

That makes sense. But yeah, the Steelers called for a Fair Catch, let the ball hit the ground, the other team jumped on it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Intruder posted:

"But it's Pat Mahomes" loses all meaning when you take into account that you're still counting on a short pass that turns into a crazy lateral situation anyway

Maybe not short pass, just not a hail mary. :v:

I would still trust Tyreek Hill's Wild Ride solo over a bunch of laterals, tbh.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Dre2Dee2 posted:

good news, LA doesnt really give a poo poo about either team

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

He might run down the field and make a crazy perfect lateral though! Although you could just put him in on special teams in that case.

We're all spending way too much time thinking about two different no hope plays.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Rivers is such a great postgame interview.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Strobe posted:

Maybe not short pass, just not a hail mary. :v:

I would still trust Tyreek Hill's Wild Ride solo over a bunch of laterals, tbh.

So put Hill back there for the return then, at least then one of the defenders trying to stop him is a kicker

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Grittybeard posted:

He might run down the field and make a crazy perfect lateral though! Although you could just put him in on special teams in that case.

We're all spending way too much time thinking about two different no hope plays.

I'm mostly mad that the one we went with sucked.

:sigh:

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Pittsburgh... because hockey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Every Chiefs game this season has been the best game of the week :stare:

Teams have been stepping up to give them a hard time. It's been cool