Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Venom one is surprisingly fun but I do not understand the decision making behind 2 that lead to venom and carnage to only meet in the final scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Both Venom movies are incredibly gay, and it’s great. The SV movies could use that energy.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
a pg 13 carnage movie sucks about as much as the worst wig in the world on woody (which is only funny for so long)

also a disconnected from spidey-centric venom franchise is certainly a choice..i understand the licensing issues and blah blah blah but even the connecting things between those and the mcu they tossed in felt like a dashed-out afterthought.

it's fine as a buddy comedy series and all, but i'd prefer something a little more interesting that doesn't get the sonyverse treatment..i'd argue the only decent spidey sony thing is the spiderverse animation stuff. I've actually rewatched those, venom 1&2 not so much

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s good, sorry

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

CelticPredator posted:

It’s good, sorry

you might be the only person i've seen to say that about venom 2: let there be carnage, but i like your moxy

if they do a venom 3 you'll be my barometer

there is no way in hell i'm watching the kraven movie though, morbius was enough for me

e: or madam web

or whatever other supporting cast movies they don't want to lose rights to they continue to make

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 4, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

zer0spunk posted:

you might be the only person i've seen to say that about venom 2: let there be carnage, but i like your moxy

if they do a venom 3 you'll be my barometer

there is no way in hell i'm watching the kraven movie though, morbius was enough for me

If we can somehow trick Sony into doing a 2nd theatre run for Kraven it’ll all be worth it

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

CharlestonJew posted:

If we can somehow trick Sony into doing a 2nd theatre run for Kraven it’ll all be worth it

honestly that actually kind of makes it worth it, and it also gave us the story about jared leto going full daniel day lewis method acting by pretending to be disabled between takes, to the point where they had to convince him to let them wheelchair him around as a compromise because they were wasting so much time waiting on him

and you know what, you can really feel the difference in his performance in morb--

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Venom 2 channeled the lobster scene from venom 1 into the whole movie.

I don’t like or read the comics so I just know carnage through nerd osmosis so it being like or not like the comics means nothing to me lol

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
he's just a version of spider-man without the "hero" ethics or morals, and the debut sells a massive amount of copies..so marvel then spins him into this reluctant anti-hero with his own series called "Lethal Protector" which is basically the basis for these sony movies

i think there's some division between people who like the character as an rear end in a top hat villain (myself included) and people that like the antihero thing..but you know what, as much as i think marvel and disney would have done something better with venom as he was originally written..we'd then have a PG carnage which is somehow even worse then the sony take so..nevermind.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the idea of Carnage in the movie that he was out of sync because Cassidy genuinely cared about his love interest while Carnage only saw her as a threat. It made Cassidy more interesting that he had at least one thing that kind of anchored him (although I get that people might not like it due to it reducing her to the whole Morality Pet thing).

I also liked the joke where they're like "Hmmm, we have a villain that's weak to sound and a girl with sonic powers...." (slams her into the bell, resolving the conflict in the stupidest possible way) (ending spoilers)

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

CharlestonJew posted:

I had to google this because I couldn't remember if it was still to be released, or if I had seen it and forgotten because I'm expecting Kraven to be extremely bland and forgettable

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It doesn't have Leto so it's going to be better, this doesn't however mean it's going to be good.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

[watching venom cooking breakfast for his husband Tom Hardy] actually, this is very bad and everyone should be ashamed for enjoying this

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I like is that it kind of makes sense for Venom to need to eat brains for the neurotransmitters (as that's the reason he gives for it). Look at what he is. He's a collection of independent cells that communicate with one another in order to process information, like neurons. A Symbiote is just a giant brain, and the problem with that is there is no physical form to attach a gland to so he can't make his own neurotransmitters. Without eating brains (or finding other ways of obtaining simiilar chemicals) his cells can't communicate as effectively with one another as they should do and he cannot survive like that. It's silly, but there is a fantasy type of logic to it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I like is that it kind of makes sense for Venom to need to eat brains for the neurotransmitters (as that's the reason he gives for it). Look at what he is. He's a collection of independent cells that communicate with one another in order to process information, like neurons. A Symbiote is just a giant brain, and the problem with that is there is no physical form to attach a gland to so he can't make his own neurotransmitters. Without eating brains (or finding other ways of obtaining simiilar chemicals) his cells can't communicate as effectively with one another as they should do and he cannot survive like that. It's silly, but there is a fantasy type of logic to it.

the lore they created for the symbiotes in the comics is especially dumb, it could have just stayed a parasite kinda thing..i really hope that never ends up on screen down the line

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

LaserPrinter69 posted:

I had to google this because I couldn't remember if it was still to be released, or if I had seen it and forgotten because I'm expecting Kraven to be extremely bland and forgettable

Wow, same. I fully expect it to sink without trace, and wasn’t entirely sure this hadn’t already happened.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BioEnchanted posted:

Want to see Venom to face off against Mindflayers invading Earth.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

MariusLecter posted:

Want to see Venom to face off against Mindflayers invading Earth.

So, a Marvel / D&D / Stranger Things crossover?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I got so loving pissed off when the big moment in the Kraven trailer was him putting on the lion vest.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

mycot posted:

I got so loving pissed off when the big moment in the Kraven trailer was him putting on the lion vest.

Hopefully the moral of the movie is that anyone can wear the vest.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Wittgen posted:

Hopefully the moral of the movie is that anyone can wear the vest.

Seeeeeeee my vest, see my vest...

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Spider-verse 2-Movie Collector's Edition - Multi-Feature (4 Discs) - UHD/Blu-ray + Digital https://a.co/d/azEAEdo

2 movie special collection feels strange when we know there will be a third. I dunno if I’m into these extras also. Box is neat at least.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s still a lot of money for 2 movies, even with extras.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Finally caught up to this thread and lol at people being unable to perceive Miles' worry about the fact that Gwen left her toothbrush at Hobie's place.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Just got back from the Into the Spider-verse concert in LA, it ruled. Daniel Pemberton was there and played the keys.

The Miles and Spider-Man motifs are just so fulfilling, I can't get enough

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Rewatched this home on the 4K finally. It’s still as beautiful as ever. The writing felt stronger this time too as there’s a lot of parallels between Gwen and Miles. Going to have to check out the commentary next.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I feel like reaction to this movie has been kinda muted compared to how incredibly good it is, and I feel like that’s the fault of the cliffhanger ending. Everyone is waiting for the next movie to pass judgement.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Just watched this last night and I had somehow missed that it was a Part 1 until I paused to get a drink and realized we were fifteen minutes from the ending with far too much to wrap up, lol.

I liked this a lot but I feel dissatisfied with the structure. It feels more like half of a five hour movie, rather than a movie with a cliffhanger, if that makes sense. Like, stuff like Back to the Future 2 or Matrix Reloaded have clear plot threads that are essentially completed, and THEN we get the surprise and the lead-in to the next movie. In Spiderverse, both the Spot and the Miguel plots get set up and established as threats, nothing is really resolved and it's kind of unsatisfying.

I wouldn't cut anything, but I would have preferred if they structured things differently from the start so that this movie has a threat of its own that mostly (seems to) get resolved, and then we pivot to the cliffhanger reveal to set up the sequel. Something that would let this stand up on its own. I dunno, maybe I'll feel differently once part 2 comes out and I watch it.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 11, 2023

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
This one has a lot in common with Reloaded I think.
Both are question the first film (I’m spiderman vs is it good you are spiderman, and I’m the one vs is it good to have a messiah)

Both have an enemy they create and fight who goes out to get stronger before a destined final fight (spot and smith).
This final fight doesn’t happen in either movie.

Both instead of big action set pieces before a final twisting reveal.

And both have their own trolley problem: save his dad and dimension dies, save Trinity and Zion dies.

The difference here is that the choice is made in the reloaded, though we have no doubts about Miles choice either. The third matrix then deals with the consequences and is the weakest of the films. So hard to say if this is the best path or not.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not comparable. Matrix is bad. Spider verse is goat

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tender Bender posted:

Just watched this last night and I had somehow missed that it was a Part 1 until I paused to get a drink and realized we were fifteen minutes from the ending with far too much to wrap up, lol.

I liked this a lot but I feel dissatisfied with the structure. It feels more like half of a five hour movie, rather than a movie with a cliffhanger, if that makes sense. Like, stuff like Back to the Future 2 or Matrix Reloaded have clear plot threads that are essentially completed, and THEN we get the surprise and the lead-in to the next movie. In Spiderverse, both the Spot and the Miguel plots get set up and established as threats, nothing is really resolved and it's kind of unsatisfying.

I wouldn't cut anything, but I would have preferred if they structured things differently from the start so that this movie has a threat of its own that mostly (seems to) get resolved, and then we pivot to the cliffhanger reveal to set up the sequel. Something that would let this stand up on its own. I dunno, maybe I'll feel differently once part 2 comes out and I watch it.

I disagree because I thought it was made clear pretty early on it was a 2-parter.

Sort of the way LOTR definitely structured itself as a 3 part movie vs 3 individual movies. Although holy poo poo I remember the end of the first one and the gaggle of people in the theater that didn't know it was a trilogy. Ending on Sam and Frodo staring at Mt. Doom. Lots of loud "what the gently caress that's IT?!?!?" in the theater.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BonoMan posted:

I disagree because I thought it was made clear pretty early on it was a 2-parter.

Where? When?

Heck, Back to the Future 2 did a better job, given it ends after its own complete arc and confrontation with a clear stylistic break, and is its own complete story.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Where? When?

Heck, Back to the Future 2 did a better job, given it ends after its own complete arc and confrontation with a clear stylistic break, and is its own complete story.

Literally in the first trailer:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Sort of the way LOTR definitely structured itself as a 3 part movie vs 3 individual movies. Although holy poo poo I remember the end of the first one and the gaggle of people in the theater that didn't know it was a trilogy. Ending on Sam and Frodo staring at Mt. Doom. Lots of loud "what the gently caress that's IT?!?!?" in the theater.

I mean regardless of how it was marketed I just find as a film it felt incomplete. For example I think each of the LOTR movies are a good film experience: you need to see the whole trilogy but each movie tells its own arcs with satisfying climaxes (even though they were constrained by adapting an existing story) Spiderverse feels more like Dune Part 1, which also has the excuse that it's adapting an existing story.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wanna gag in the last movie where the characters end up in a completely unassuming world, walk into a movie theatre and realise they are in the universe where the Spiderverse is just a movie series and Olivia Octavious, Norman Osbourne and Miguel O'Hara are in the audience watching that exact moment. Then they all just slowly turn their heads to see who just walked in in the middle of the movie like an rear end in a top hat..

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
It works well as a Gwen arc and even Miles deciding he wants to tell his family the truth. It just sets up more for next film.

It’s like fellowship in that it ends with the group split, mission left incomplete, and part of the group out to rescue others who were captured .

I do get wanting more though and I’m definitely hyped for next film. Spot seems too great for Miles to defeat alone so can understand giving that confrontation more time.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah I agree. I saw it at release and knew it was part 1 of 2 and it still felt like the most egregious "cutting a film in half" I've ever seen.

It helps that it's an amazing film but the way it just kinda ends is the worst part of the movie IMO

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

checkplease posted:

The third matrix then deals with the consequences and is the weakest of the films

:wrong:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The_Doctor posted:

Literally in the first trailer:

I don't watch trailers so I went into this having no idea it was part one. It ended and I was like "uh... it's over?" It was still a fun ride but it feels super incomplete, especially compared to the first movie, which had such a perfect scope. When I first heard about the original movie I thought "this looks amazing but it's probably going to be up its own rear end in a top hat with multiverse poo poo and we won't get enough of Spider-Man." And it wasn't that at all: it struck a perfect balance of having some fun goofy characters show up from other universes but mostly focusing on Miles and his story. Across the Spiderverse I give a bit of leeway because going bigger for the next movie kind of makes sense, and it still did a good job giving many of the relevant characters stuff to do and feel and so on, but I have to admit it did start to feel like it was getting too bloated, and once it ended and I realized it wasn't even finished, I felt even more unsatisfied compared to the first movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The idea of naming the films “Across the Spider-Verse Part One and Two” was scrapped more than a year before release and only showed up on some merch and a single teaser. It’s more than reasonable for people to have not heard this was a two-parter.