Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BioEnchanted posted:

how hilarious would it be if the first scene of the sequel is Miles glitching through the bungee cords. no clever solutions or discussions with Prowler Morales, just an accidental fluke that confuses both of them.

Between Hobie and Peter B it's gonna be all in the hands. Just as long as he uses the palms not just the fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
I just saw this last night (Amazon finally has it for a normal price movie rental not the $25 "you pay full price for a 48 hour rental" like they do for new releases) and the only thing missing was the climax of the 3rd act, like they could have tied it all up with 15 more minutes and left a few threads for the sequel hook.

It's like if T2 cut to black as they approached the smelting plant, or Avengers ended after the camera first circled all the heros together in New York before the climactic fight. It just seems short sighted considering they barely started on the sequel, and now by all accounts we'll be lucky if we see it hit theaters before 2025.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I'm genuinely curious. What do you think could happen in fifteen minutes that would serve as a cohesive climax for the movie?

I feel like the various players hit the end of their arcs well before the end of the movie. (Nah I'mma do my own thing for Miles, the scene with her dad for Gwen, Spot's final menacing line for the spot. ) Then the movie spends significant time establishing what will be the start of the next movie's arcs.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Without the final reveal I could see them cramming things in and wrapping things up in the 2nd movie. With that final reveal though then there was no way they could get it all into one movie.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I think they potentially could have made enough room for a third act climax (and no sequel) by cutting the entire chase scene in Spidermanland which doesn’t really amount to much in terms of plot, but is very fun.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Talorat posted:

I think they potentially could have made enough room for a third act climax (and no sequel) by cutting the entire chase scene in Spidermanland which doesn’t really amount to much in terms of plot, but is very fun.

Well I’m glad they didn’t do that.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
If that ending was any more intense my heart would stop and I would die.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I have the type of brain damage that can't keep up with the action and dialogue in this movie, holy poo poo. The animators are operating on another level. Spider-Punk is probably my favourite on-screen Spider-Man depiction ever?? Tom Holland's is so white bread in comparison.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Tom Holland's character is a little fascist bootlicker Spider-Man

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People just say things

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

breadshaped posted:

Tom Holland's character is a little fascist bootlicker Spider-Man

He has possibly the least agency or character of any of them and a huge part is him being so tied to Tony/Marvel in general.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Darko posted:

He has possibly the least agency or character of any of them and a huge part is him being so tied to Tony/Marvel in general.

I still genuinely have no idea if he can carry a movie on his own. Naturally, they're setting him up to be all lonely in the next, but, with these guys, you just can't know.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Holland was known to be a lousy actor, having Garfield show up in the last one just cemented it. Holland can barely even do the accent, meanwhile Garfield sounds great to my ears. Showing up as the worst spider-man in your own movie is shameful.

Outside of Maguire/Raimi, Parker is always a bit of a nerd but he's usually pretty popular and not a total sadsack. Spectacular had plenty of friends, Miles Morales is stylish and artistic, Amazing (Garfield) was a skater with a cool science job and girlfriend. Zendaya at least makes Holland cooler by association.

Holland looks like he's about to sit down and weep in every scene. Coming across as weak and sooky in a hero movie where you're opposite Tobey Maguire is a remarkable failure.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't even want to make fun of Holland anymore. I think the dude knows his clock is running out, he cannot do dramatic roles, he can't support a movie himself, the best role I've seen him in is a very small supporting part in Lost City of Z, dudes time in the limelight is coming to an end soon and he knows it.

Worst part is he should've never been in the situation, Holland's movies are all objectively bad, his supporting cast makes no sense, nor his motivations, nor how ugly his suit and the whole style of the films is. The films are entirely supported by how good the villains are, and how much people like Spiderman, generalized and concretely in the third film.

The amazing films have a ton of flaws, but they are far more watchable than Iron Man Jr's work

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Wow I disagree on all points, I find Tom Holland quite charming, although it does seem like every movie he’s in is not as good as the previous one.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tom Holland should retire and be Mr. Zendaya for the rest of his life, I honestly would rather be that than a working actor

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DC Murderverse posted:

Tom Holland should retire and be Mr. Zendaya for the rest of his life, I honestly would rather be that than a working actor

I think he’d be totally happy with that, honestly.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zendaya is gonna drop his rear end, only reason they're still together is Spiderman.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ok mr tmz

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
the gently caress going on in here, talk about spiderverse not tom hollands life

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love that it seems like every artist and animator who worked on ATSV is some flavour of queer. :allears:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Edit: oh I was too late

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

is it just me or were all the bits of marvel/Sony movies clearly forced into this movie

everytime they were onscreen it seemed like the action stopped and the camera lingered for just that bit too long. all the other versions of spiders men would come and go so quick that you could, and definitely did, miss tons of them

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

As far as I know, live-action cameos have been requested by fans. In fact, the actual mandate might be to prevent Tom Holland's version from making an on-screen cameo.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I do think the live action cameos are the weakest points of the movie, but I don't think they're out and out bad. They do feel a little long, but I wonder if that's at least partially because live action does not read as quickly as animation.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The venom convenience store lady cameo did nothing for me because I haven't seen those movies, but I thought the Don Glover one was a nice nod to the Sony/Marvel stuff without being too hamfisted and it reinforced that Miles' narrative wasn't some one off thing in the bigger spider-verse. That said I could see how they could be off-putting to some people. Different strokes and all that.

The archival footage stuff seemed fine? I barely noticed it in the midst of the big confrontration/intervention given the weight of everything else happening in those scenes.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
The convenience store bit didn't really land with me, because there was just no real interaction, she basically just stared vaguely in his direction.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

immoral_ posted:

The convenience store bit didn't really land with me, because there was just no real interaction, she basically just stared vaguely in his direction.

I found it amusing because the whole bit is that she's been part of Venom and Eddie's life for so long at this point that nothing surprises her. It helped that I enjoy the Venom movies though. I like that they establish that Venom can be perfectly in sync with multiple people, as in both movies he can be in symbiosis with Eddie, Eddie's ex-Girlfriend (who has some really funny bits in both movies IIRC) and the convenience store lady with no ill effects because all three of them know him well enough as a person that there is no conflict. Despite their flaws the movies generally have some cute moments showing how Venom and Eddie work well together as well, I love how those movies use the "We" pronoun to emphasise that Venom recognises and appreciates Eddie's problems. Like when he snaps at Venom after his Ex moves on to a new partner and Venom just says "Now I'm going to let that slide because we are hurting right now."

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 1, 2023

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

BioEnchanted posted:

I found it amusing because the whole bit is that she's been part of Venom and Eddie's life for so long at this point that nothing surprises her. It helped that I enjoy the Venom movies though. I like that they establish that Venom can be perfectly in sync with multiple people, as in both movies he can be in symbiosis with Eddie, Eddie's ex-Girlfriend (who has some really funny bits in both movies IIRC) and the convenience store lady with no ill effects because all three of them know him well enough as a person that there is no conflict. Despite their flaws the movies generally have some cute moments showing how Venom and Eddie work well together as well, I love how those movies use the "We" pronoun to emphasise that Venom recognises and appreciates Eddie's problems. Like when he snaps at Venom after his Ex moves on to a new partner and Venom just says "Now I'm going to let that slide because we are hurting right now."

Oh, I know how it was supposed to come off, I've watch the Venom movies and liked them, and she's a great character in the movies, it's just that that particular scene didn't land with me, because it didn't feel like he was there, it was like she was just looking off in the distance waiting for someone to come in.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

As a huge fan of the venom movie, which I consider to be better than most superhero movies, I loved that scene because it was so silly and fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I didn't watch the Venom movies and didn't think that scene was a cameo or anything. I just thought it was a "Spot goes to the real world but he runs into a bored convenience store clerk who can't be bothered to care about stuff" joke.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't watch the Venom movies and didn't think that scene was a cameo or anything. I just thought it was a "Spot goes to the real world but he runs into a bored convenience store clerk who can't be bothered to care about stuff" joke.

You're not missing anything too amazing sadly. upgrade ended up being the same premise more or less but a better watch on a tenth of the budget, go for that one

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Venom owns dude

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Upgrade is better but Venom is better than every other superhero movie ever made because it’s dumber than poo poo

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The first Venom is extremely good. Violent Protector for life

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Venom has got wonderful schlock B-movie vibes. It's also very gay.

Carnage isn't as good but I still enjoyed it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Venom is a movie where the techbro villain is abducting homeless people off the street, experimenting on them, and murdering them, and Eddie Brock is the only one who even cares

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Assepoester posted:

Venom is a movie where the techbro villain is abducting homeless people off the street, experimenting on them, and murdering them, and Eddie Brock is the only one who even cares

So vey realistic is what you're saying?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

So vey realistic is what you're saying?

It's set in San Francisco, you decide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One of my favourite bits in the first Venom is when they are on the top of the tall building after fighting the FBI and Venom's like "ooh. lets jump off, we can do the superhero landing it'll be awesome! I can protect us from the fall!" *cuts to Eddie exiting the elevator* "Pussy..."