Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

keet posted:

The way Miles got jumped in the 42verse makes me think the whole evil Miles thing is a fakeout, since neither Miles or his uncle actually SAY anything incriminating or hurt him besides the knockout (the movie frames the whole thing as very grim, yes) it felt more like knocking someone out to interrogate them cause what are they supposed to think when an obviously 'fake' Miles double rolls up on em? I think it'll end up being a universe where Miles just turned out as more of an Batman/Punisher antihero.

Not sure to be honest I saw the point that Miles Dad died in this one and it didnt make him a good person. It's a rejection of the dead parent figure = spider-man thing.

Also from a pure narrative perspective if Anti-miles is a hero then its another hero meeting a whole team of heroes when the other spider-men turn up, getting. bit imbalanced with the stakes there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The amazing thing about this movies visuals to me is how it gets you to buy into it a little at a time until PS4 rendered Spider-Man is there next to actual human Donald Glover and it’s like yeah sure ok and then a lot of things are happening which are just pure expressionistic visual metaphor (the colours of Gwen world changing with the mood, Miles thoughts and fears just being waking dream sequences) but it works.

Some parts of it are so visually chaotic but then for some scenes it’s not afraid to just slow right down and sit in a moment either.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 5, 2023

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I was really keeping an eye out for Superior during the Spider-person scenes but didnt see him.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I should really watch the first one again. I just heard someone say "remember when miles got bitten by the spider in the first movie, and it glitched out right before? huh, wasn't that WEIRD?!" and man that's so true, I completely forgot about that, and I'm sure there's tons of other little foreshadowing tidbits.

I’m interested to see now we’re in universe 42, who made the spider? It was Norman Osbourne in the ultimate universe I believe.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

My favourite gag is when miles is in such deep poo poo with his parents they set off his spider sense as soon as he arrives.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

the thing is, from Miguel’s logic- if you take it as a given that this universes miles was not “supposed” to be a Spider-Man, that raises some questions about his suitability. Since ok yeah there are other miles morales spidermen in other universes, but narrative says that whoever gets bit by the spider is The Stuff of Heroes and will achieve that, after the requisite trials. But it may be that if you go off script then there’s a possibility the wrong spider bit the wrong miles- the one in the particular universe where he’s incompetent.

By being an anomaly miles is a dangerous unknown, so the safest thing is for him to follow the most cliche Spider-Man script possible and hope it resolves. Then as others have pointed out there’s a meta textual element to this.

It would have worked a little better really if into the spider verse had been miles first appearance as a character making him a genuine anomaly across media and comic book/PS4 Spider-Man didn’t also have a miles, but that can’t be helped.

ImpAtom posted:

That is literally just part of the character. His fangs contain a paralyzing neurotoxin which he was probably trying to use

It’s part of the character but not one that I think they would have brought up unless they were going somewhere with it.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 7, 2023

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The other greatest gag in the movie is the one that’s immediately revealed as not a gag

Rio not knowing who Spider-Man is. If it had actually turned out she just didn’t keep up with that kinda thing it would have been hilarious

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Im not saying thats the direction the movie should have gone in since it undercuts where theyre clearly going with the plot, it just makes me lol to picture it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Something I did notice is that Aaron has put rubber gloves on Miles while he was unconscious. How did he know?? Miles doesn’t use his powers at any point.

I must be misremembering because I thought the scene ended with miles smirking and winding up to do his electro blast.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Darko posted:

Hes too much like Ultimate Peter and his races are barely ever touched on or woven into the themes and are just window dressing. Both game and Movie lean into his culture way more, given number of appearances.

I enjoy that Ganke in this movie explicitly calls out he is not miles’ “guy in the chair” i.e he’s not Ned from the MCU.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Venom one is surprisingly fun but I do not understand the decision making behind 2 that lead to venom and carnage to only meet in the final scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

checkplease posted:

The commentary track on the physical release is good stuff: the three directors and lord and miller.
They talk a lot about how they wanted the art and animation to express the emotions of the characters and how they working it over and over.

One key point they make is how much they wanted to take the time and just let characters have family moments and just look out at the horizon. And you see that, the first hour has Gwen’s intro, and then a good 4 separate occasions of Miles and his family together. Plus the sequence of Miles and Gwen swinging around or gazing at the city.

This is the great thing about this series. Theres so much franchise -stuff- happening that it would be easy to become incoherent as other comic book movies in the past have and collapsed under their own weight. But it never loses focus on the characters so it works.