Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I went to see this today with my kid and it was...good. But I don't get the overwhelming praise for it overall and, as much as I liked the overall style, I hated the jerky animation. It was pretty cool and better than a lot of stuff I've seen but I'm not sure I buy into all the hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lemon posted:

Just got back from seeing this and it really blew me away. I think this is the first movie I've seen that could really call itself a "comic-book movie". Everything about it was excellent, but the two moments that really gave me chills were Miles' comic book being thrown onto the pile and after Miles jumped from the building and went from tumbling to straightening out, and five increasingly close-up frames hammer across the screen for a second. Such a perfect use of the medium.

That's a great point and, yeah, I give the film tremendous props for pulling off a lot of "comic book style" scenes. Ang Lee's Hulk gave it a shot this was far more successful. The thought balloons and sound effects text were really nice touches, along with the benday dots.

the even had a couple of shots where the colors were out of register, similar to older comics and the cheap newsprint they used to use.

HEre's a real good write up/interview about this exact design process

https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/11/..._source=twitter

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 17, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I smoked some hash and went to see this thing yesterday. IT was a good choice.

I'm not being hyperbolic when I say that this is the most visually stunnning movie I think I have ever seen - animated, live action, CGI or otherwise. To simply call it a painting or a comic book come to life doesn't really do it justice. It feels like an art style all it's own and you never EVER get tired of looking at it. It's loving incredible.

Reading the thread, I think I spaced out on one or two plot elements but it didn't effect my enjoyment of it at all. Often, it's almost sensory overload and threatens to be too much but it never is. Just a total joy to watch from beginning to end and with several lol moments that really tickled me.

Go see this movie.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 11, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

mcmagic posted:

This movie was a whole lot of fun and I really liked the whole vibe but should they really need 6 hours to tell this story?

I dunno it woked for the Hobbit.

Oh wait.

I swear, though, even if the story sucked rear end I could still watch 6 hours of this stuff