Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

fosborb posted:

its a frankly disappointing end credits compared to DJ Khalil and those recursive spider mans

to be clear every other composition element is better executed in Across, but wow Into's soundtrack was just stunning

While I don't think the visual sequence compares at all to the first movie's, I like the song itself a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
There's a shot of Miles' roommate playing Spiderman on a PS4 or PS5 so seems like the games exist in-universe.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Can't put my finger on it...

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I think it's hard to say how to fit the 2 parts into 1 without seeing part 2 but I do think they should have made the post-climax shorter than 20 minutes and not so drawn out.

Cut the part about Gwen meeting Miles' parents and the part about Miles' meeting his wrong mom and revealing he's Spiderman. They don't add much of anything to the movie. I would also shorten the whole sequence where he's talking to Aaron and they reveal the Prowler since the whole wrong universe thing should really be at the very end. I'm not sure of the best way how, but I would try to make the whole Aaron + Prowler + wrong universe reveal happen within the same scene which then leads into the credits. It's really weird to have the wrong universe reveal (let's pretend the earlier teleport thingy didn't happen) happen 10 minutes before the movie actually ends. The Prowler reveal loses a bit of its impact because if it's not Aaron, it's almost obviously going to be Miles so drawing it out doesn't really create any suspense.

efb lol

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

immoral_ posted:

I don't think any scene needed cut or anything, some could have been condensed down a little bit, but even then you'd only be saving 5 maybe 10 minutes of run time, so overall I don't think it would save that much.

I was mainly finding ways to improve the last 10-15 minutes (which I thought was a bit weak), not to lower the runtime. I think the runtime is fine and there's a couple things I wish they had added, like a flashback to Hobie talking to Gwen's dad.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

The animation in this is interesting: a lot of it is existing scenes edited a bit to add and remove elements or change the coloring but there's also some bits that are either newly created scenes or taken from the next movie. Or maybe scenes that were in older trailers and cut out? Idk

koolkal fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 17, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Frankly I'm surprised they haven't announced a Gwen movie yet. She's one of Sony's most popular characters now and easily their most popular heroine.

Instead we have.. Kraven.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
#ReleaseTheTheatricalCut

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
He probably figured he could Facts and Logic him into joining like a bunch of the others. It's only once Miles gets all defiant that Miguel cages him. After all, Miguel does think he's doing the right thing by his own interpretation of events.

Also, he's like consistently bad at evaluating threats considering his plan for Spot is to just say out loud that someone should go take care of him before leaving in a portal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Tender Bender posted:

Just watched this last night and I had somehow missed that it was a Part 1 until I paused to get a drink and realized we were fifteen minutes from the ending with far too much to wrap up, lol.

I liked this a lot but I feel dissatisfied with the structure. It feels more like half of a five hour movie, rather than a movie with a cliffhanger, if that makes sense. Like, stuff like Back to the Future 2 or Matrix Reloaded have clear plot threads that are essentially completed, and THEN we get the surprise and the lead-in to the next movie. In Spiderverse, both the Spot and the Miguel plots get set up and established as threats, nothing is really resolved and it's kind of unsatisfying.

I wouldn't cut anything, but I would have preferred if they structured things differently from the start so that this movie has a threat of its own that mostly (seems to) get resolved, and then we pivot to the cliffhanger reveal to set up the sequel. Something that would let this stand up on its own. I dunno, maybe I'll feel differently once part 2 comes out and I watch it.

Yeah I agree. I saw it at release and knew it was part 1 of 2 and it still felt like the most egregious "cutting a film in half" I've ever seen.

It helps that it's an amazing film but the way it just kinda ends is the worst part of the movie IMO