Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Receives 10/10 from Pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Almost no one who goes to see this movie is going to know anything about the "Spider-verse", and frankly I thought there was a completely appropriate amount of the tertiary spider-people, who, much like Zebra Man or Clock King, are "real" from comics but no one knows or cares about and certainly don't want to see a lot of.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
99% of the people who watch this film are going to assume Penny Parker is a gimmick character for this film alone, like Spider Man Noir and Spider-Ham, and will not look into it further. It's as it should be.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

504 posted:

So is this the Spider-Man version of the TMNT movie where they meet all the alt universe copies of themselves from goofy 90s to grimdark original comic?

Sort of except that I'm not even 100% sure the "real" Spider-Man is there (not totally sure if they're committed to fuckup Spiderman being "real" Spiderman)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

howe_sam posted:

when the device pulls through all the Spider-people there's a quick shot of numbered dimensions and 616 was on there.

this means nothing to me

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For me, the real breakout animation was on Kingpin himself. It's amazing that they made essentially a "void" so powerful. He's way smaller than Green Goblin, for example, but he seems IMPOSSIBLY HUGE even when he's not. Amazing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

That is exactly what I was coming in here to post. He's full on Bill Sienkiewicz but they way they animate him is amazing. He is this dark void that just seems to dominate any scene he is and with the film's use of color that is tremendously striking. He just feels like a horrifying intimidating presence.

I think it's meaningful that when he gets physical you never question it. A lot of Kingpin stuff fails at this in other mediums but here it feels innate to who he is, largely because the violence he does feels primal. I also think it helps a lot that the violence is often masked or hidden, relying on the style to convey the impact. It actually makes him a lot scarier.

You can actually buy that this Kingpin could kill Spider-Man by just loving whaling on him. Total physicality.

They made Green Goblin huge (I thought this was cool too) but Kingpin just comes across as so much more dangerous.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sound design on Prowler was incredible.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I want as much black Spiderman as possible, as black as possible. In fact, replace every Spiderman with someone half-black, half-Latino, like Miles, and Spiderman movies are banned from having songs by white people, until Mickey Mouse is public domain.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh that was Hammerhead? I don't know who that is, I assumed it was Solomon Grundy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Nope, it was Tombstone. He's an albino.

I don't like superhero films so I'm fine not knowing these things :v

It's amazing I like this film so much considering that I think spider man sucks (as a general media property)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, his tonework is done differently, which I loved. Like traditional screentone. If you've never seen it applied, it's a wild process. I still have some I've used in the past.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Now that I think about it theres litteraly no explanation where that radiactive spider that bit Miles came from

It's written on the spide

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

beanieson posted:

doc ock was such a nice surprise. Nothing in the trailers to let that slip, and actually if you search right now there still aren’t any pictures of that character on google images, only a picture of a tentacle wrapped around Peter B

I was shocked that they kept that a secret. Literally shocked. Usually the toys give it away.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Shut up Bravest, god drat you're dumb as gently caress

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hiddenriverninja posted:

Props to Daniel Pemberton just absolutely crushing the score and sound design. I'm planning on making a Spotify playlist with all the tracks intertwined with the soundtrack as presented in the movie. It's just so good.

Predator's soundwork was off the fuckin chaaaaiiin

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the theme is spider and the film is BadAss

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

Yeah I loved her design. The Dr. Ock suit is very Metal Gear Solid inspired, taking some from Raiden's sneak suit in MGS2 and the Beauty & The Beast unit outfit from MGS4. I also love that the tentacles weren't metal, but looked to be inflated rubber cells, which reminded me of an experimental "soft robotics" tentacle that's actuated by internal springs that's been developed for a whole range of uses, from mining, search & rescue, and surgical purposes. Just a refreshing, modernized take, much like all the designs..

We can see metal in alt designs from other universes though, such as Spiderwoman's.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ungulateman posted:

the bit in the final fight where kingpin bleeds across dimensions while fighting miles is a visualisation of the idea that, because of who he is as a person, he'll drive his family away through his actions regardless of the timeline, imo

ungulate gets it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I really have to stop jumping between this thread and the Star Trek ones it's loving me up!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The most important thing is that they ignore the comics to the greatest possible extent and instead make something good (unlike comics, which are bad and loving dumb as hell)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You need Noir for the nazi punching.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like consuming things that are good and which please me

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Skippy McPants posted:

I don't disagree, Penny especially is really thin on character, but I think it was a fair compromise for the sake of supporting the films base premise of having a bunch of Spider-people together in one place. I don't think that conceit works nearly as well if you only have the three mains with one tack-on comic relief character.

I agree. Also you needed it to show the range of the "'verse", otherwise it's like "oh well it's old spiderman. one is also a lady". yawn.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
god. imagine being known as "molested spider-man". like that's your "thing".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
molested by a radioactive ben and got cancer. there was no spider. that would have been an improvement

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

friendly 2 da void posted:

Also, hobo Peter Parker totally wanted to die. Not just avoid going back to his universe and facing his problems with weight loss and a failed marriage, guy straight up had a death wish. It was cool when Miles suddenly Became The Dad and helped him out. We are all our own Dad. Namaste.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

friendly 2 da void posted:

We know why Uncle Aaron became Prowler. The film gives us all the evidence we need:

1) Being Prowler pays incredibly well (again, check out Aaron's sweet pad and banging soundsystem)

2) Aaron is very, VERY good at being Prowler and he relishes the chance to wield power and show his skills (the line of dialogue where he's like "I always get my man" and smiles gleefully)

3) The entire Davis family including Miles, his dad, and Aaron all have a wild lawless streak (they all love tagging, which is illegal)

4) Aaron was able to ignore or justify the social consequences of being Prowler until they hit close to home, when he just couldn't anymore.

Those are the exact same reasons why people become drug dealers or advertising executives or anything evil really. I don't know why we need a five minute montage of Aaron working for Fisk as a low-level lackey and then slowly rising up through the ranks or w/e. None of that would change anything about his character.

Yeah you don't need it "spelled out", it makes sense in its universe.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
loving you dumb kindsa fuckers are why we keep getting origin stories and prequels. jesus christ you guys gently caress stories right in the mouth with the cocks of your stupidity.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
how can I BELIEVE eisenhower became president if I didn't SEE it beginning when he was in 2nd grade. you expect me to believe that this "einsenhower" guy is president? likely loving story. bitch.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Into the Spider-Verse:

SA viewers: :confused: did they forget to include the origin story??

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mel Mudkiper posted:

one thing bothers me

they keep talking about how alt-peter let himself go and got fat but he isn't fat

This did bother me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He's not fat in the slightest.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the hydra!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You cut off one lamp and seven new lamps take its place, each more furiously stupid than the last

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
it's wrong for the black four year old from Brooklyn to not yet understand that he should strive to identify fully with white men , who likewise expend great effort to fully understand him and the experiences he will encounter in his life

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I had a female friend who worked at Pixar and it made her almost suicidal how horrible it was to be a woman there. She moved on to advertising.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's not trolling. It's racism.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If I were president, I would make it a crime for superheroes to be white. Maybe one or two women but they can't look like they're moonlighting from Victoria's Secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Probably why Pixar hasn't made a good movie since 1995.