Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I always thought the Prowler was a dumb joke but boy did the translation to film made him legit terrifying

I thought his design looked weird and...unbalanced? Like his gloves and boots were huge but the rest of him was really thin and the spiky cape collar looked goofy.

But Jesus Christ that noise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The movie is primarily about the non-threat of the Large Hadron Collider.

This is why no one likes film studies majors.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, how dare they make a movie about a really common and relatable theme, instead of making a movie about the Large Hadron Collider is evil or whatever the gently caress you're on about.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Nah, the minor Spider-People are great. They serve to accentuate the cross-dimensional craziness and are counterparts for the other villains in the final battle. Probably the only plot thread that suffers is the relationship between Gwen and Miles and even then, its not that big of a deal (and is probably going to be the centerpiece of the next movie). The most incongruous thing is the weird amount of time it gives to being sad over Peni's robot being destroyed.

Fun detail I noticed on rewatch: when Miles first looks at the spider suit in Aunt May's basement, his reflection is below it. When he does it again in the What's Up Danger sequence, his reflection is level with it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

LividLiquid posted:

I finally saw this, and I really loved it, but it super bummed me out that the first movie with Miles as Spider-Man in it had a decidedly mediocre white guy training him and then gatekeeping him, and later giving his blessing all, "you're not a real Spider-Man. Okay, you're a real Spider-Man."

It's less a problem with the flick and more an indictment of where we are as a society.

Peter B. was really actively pushing Miles as equal to the other Spider- People. That was the whole scene in the Aunt May's shed where's he trying to get Miles to show off his powers. Just before the fight in her house, he's insisting to the others that Miles would come back and not let them down. Even in Miles' dorm, he's not forcing him to stay out of gatekeeping, he's doing because he genuinely wants Miles to prove himself and come, but Miles can't. If anything, it was the other Spiders who were gatekeeping by not even wanting to give Miles a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Comic books are the stupidest poo poo.