Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Great film, probably the best film I've seen in theatres this year. It does annoy me slightly that the most boundry pushing pieces of western animation is still chained to IP in order to get made, but if you're going to be doing IP it's much better to be pulling this kinda movie out than whatever the gently caress Marvel and DC are doing in Live Action.

Gwen and her relationship with her father and Miles was the standout, no offense to Miles, but a lot of his own familial relationship felt like a reflection of Gwen's rather than the intended inverse. Oscar Issac was bringing a surprising amount of Card Counter energy to the role, and isn't exactly unsympathetic as much as he is a huge rear end in a top hat who refuses to explain anything. Some of the SpiderSociety poo poo was a bit much, Ben Reilly didn't need his cringe worthy introduction, nor did we need the spider chase to last as long as it did. I would've changed it all out for one good extended fight with Miguel and Miles.

I wonder where they are going with the whole plot now, given Spot is so fixed on robbing Alchemax in particular it very likely might be that Spot and Mile is in some way the creation event for Miguel. And there was a surprisingly small amount of commentary on how similar Miguel and Miles are, being Spidermen who are both not Peter Parkers and not involved particularly in the Peter Parker orbit the way Gwen was.

I just hope that they can manage to step back from the ledge in the coming movies, No Way Home was a bad movie that became good purely off my love of Raimi Spiderman and the Amazing verse, and the animated films have managed to thread that fine needle well, we are approaching a mass of self reference and overly abundant allusion that will strangle the franchise, and I don't think anyone wants the Spiderman franchise to end up in it's death gasps like the MCU is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No, Miguel is a geneticist from the future who was working for Alchemax to create Spider People. He tries to leave and they drug him to force him to stay, he solves this by trying to reset his DNA with a machine but accidentally uses his Spider template and becomes future spiderman

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Darko posted:

When you say plot hole, gotta explain it. To see if it was a subjective expectation or an actual thing.

They said Plot Hooks

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There is no way the second part doesn't get delayed massively.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hard as a rock

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Miguel is kind of a jerk and a hothead but he's not evil.

Miguel is at the terminus of "Finding Out" whereas Miles is still just dipping his toes into "gently caress Around"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Talorat posted:

The spider that bit Miles is from Earth-42 which appears to still exist, even if it's a villain filled poo poo show right now.

Miguel is from the future. Spider teleported>no OG spiderman>No DNA to make Miguel a Spiderperson> He Is Happy but dies> 2099 Spiderman takes his life> Canon Cataclysm. That is the theory.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's weaker than the first; too homogenous and no standout tracks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No, that's overrating it highly.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man that'd be a gut punch Miles and Crew save his dad only for his mom to bite it. Now that I've thought of it it's feeling like a real possibility. Although it also means they'd ave pulled the same type of move in three Spidermediums in a row

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Spiderman 2099 is a lot less popular than I had previously assumed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Saw it a second time and near the end You can quickly tell that Miles is In the wrong dimension from how different the room is. His I taco NY sticker is replaced with an I Burger NY one and his back wall is filled with records like his Uncle had. More importantly though he has a drafting table, magnifying glass, soldering iron, and a schematic for the prowlers gauntlet right on the wall. After seeing all that I'm leaning towards him being an anti hero, whose loss of father and Aaron's influence, as well as his own lesser abilities without spider powers means his ability to fight crime effectively is reduced dramatically.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

One thing that came to mind to me.

We know 42-Miles is a lot darker and a lot more viscous but I'm curious to know what the state of the rest of the world is. Like is it possible it's a bit of a misdirect and Aaron and Miles in that world are effectively anti-heroes fighting against Alchemax or something?

That's sort of what I was thinking. We see the Spider was going to bite him, and that he had his own Uncle Ben event. It's the harshest rebuke to Miguel's not a spiderman talk. If 42 Miles ended up close to Aaron and started pulling petty crime while working on the Prowler tech only to wake up to a dose of reality when his father gets caught up in it. Then goes all in on trying to stop crime, but is limited mobility and skill wise.

They've even set up their own villain for that dimension with the Sinister Six being called out. And two Heroes of slightly different views getting into pointless fights before teaming up to fight the big bad is as old as comics.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You could've cut all three from the first movie and have been fine with just Gwen and Peter.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I will admit, now having seen the movie 3 times, that the soundtrack is growing on me. It still never reaches the highs that the firsts did, but it's good for vibes. Granted I also think the vibification of music isn't great for the rap genre as a whole, but for a movie soundtrack it's probably fine

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

I just finished Miles Morales on PS and I wish he would have made it into the movie. I'll take the bodega cat being an actual spider counting as a shout out to hum.

I think they didn't want to undercut Prowler Miles

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

koolkal posted:

There's a shot of Miles' roommate playing Spiderman on a PS4 or PS5 so seems like the games exist in-universe.

They also have insomniac spidey in the spider society as a joke, but they're keeping Miles himself unique for story purposes

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He doesn't know what it is in the first movie either

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's got that I accidentally genocided billions cause I thought I could be happy ptsd. Really gently caress you up

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He would sacrifice himself if he had reason to believe it would be effective, as it is he has no reason to believe it would be.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I noticed last night watching the older movie that he's credited as Jefferson Davis, à stealth change I can't imagine anybody really against.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pigma_Micron posted:

I have no idea what possessed Bendis to name him that or why the editors let it through. Honestly, it will forever be a blemish on the character's legacy.

The only explanation I've ever heard was that Bendis was nodding towards Miles Davis stealthily. And the father being named Jefferson was an unintentional mistake.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Miles isn't even the coolest Miles, much less the coolest Spiderman.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

idk spider-verse miles is easily the best miles has ever been. comic book version was pretty bland in comparison.

but yea he's not the best spider-man even if he has the best spider-man movies

I was talking about Prowler Morales. You're absolutely right about Verse Miles being the best though. I remember thinking back when I first saw Into the Spiderverse that they managed in two hours to make Miles more compelling a character than the comics did in a decade.

MokBa posted:

Video games was extremely dull in tht first game but in his own game he rules because they were able to pull from the movie for his characterization.

I'm only like 25% the way through the game, but he still seems pretty lame. Although most of that is how rushed and poorly thought out his main villains are. Any% doc ock and the Norman Osborn we have at home are not compelling in any way.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cut the venom cameo and Ben Reilly's introduction, nothing else.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Naw, he seems to be coping well

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It should get a best picture nom and it won't. I'm already preparing to be furious.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's not as much an issue because the writers are more aware of the continual stasis comics exist in. Back in the day they weren't thinking Spiderman would still be around decades later so they felt comfortable letting him graduate High-school and go to college or get married then suddenly they realize their relatable young hero is no longer young or supposedly relatable. So they go through a period of trying to roll back the clock and get old Pete back, ultimate universe one more day etc.

Writers are writing with that awareness now, and the other Spidermen tend to be less consistent in having stories written about them and with less history so they don't run into a lot of those problems.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah it's great they can cannabalize the careers of young stars as well as the directors.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Good thing it's doing well enough to get an extended run, you can go back and realize half the poo poo you said was wrong.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm switching up, I don't just think it's not going to be delayed I think it's going to be early

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've seen the film eight times in theatres and never noticed thatcher, but I also have no idea what the woman looks like.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Miles was absolutely jealous and thought Gwen and him might have been an item.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can't prove there aren't an infinite number of suffering Ben Reillys just off frame at all points in the movie

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't even want to make fun of Holland anymore. I think the dude knows his clock is running out, he cannot do dramatic roles, he can't support a movie himself, the best role I've seen him in is a very small supporting part in Lost City of Z, dudes time in the limelight is coming to an end soon and he knows it.

Worst part is he should've never been in the situation, Holland's movies are all objectively bad, his supporting cast makes no sense, nor his motivations, nor how ugly his suit and the whole style of the films is. The films are entirely supported by how good the villains are, and how much people like Spiderman, generalized and concretely in the third film.

The amazing films have a ton of flaws, but they are far more watchable than Iron Man Jr's work

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zendaya is gonna drop his rear end, only reason they're still together is Spiderman.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Venom owns dude

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

So vey realistic is what you're saying?

It's set in San Francisco, you decide

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It doesn't have Leto so it's going to be better, this doesn't however mean it's going to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not comparable. Matrix is bad. Spider verse is goat