Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Holy moly across the spider verse is a great movie. Visually it goes so hard all the time. One of the greatest feats of visual spectacle I have ever seen. The story was also very good. Everything works. It can't be next year fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I was very impressed how each spider person really looked like they came from their own universe. Especially Miguel who felt subtly distinct, and Ben who looked so spot on and incredible in every shot. For a joke character constantly mocking that era of the comics, they sure did lovingly nail that art style.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It's totally OK to not like something a ton of people love, but maybe there are better ways to express that dissonance than trying to convince a group of people who liked it that actually most people hate it.

I'm pretty pumped to go and see it again today, this time with friends.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

There's something very compelling to me about the specific, sadistic nature of how Miguel thinks about canon events. Like part of the canon event that is a captain close to Spider-Man dying trying to save a kid, why are those the only details that matter to Miguel? Isn't a crucial element of the event that Spider-Man is trying to save people but fails. How does it maintain the importance of the event if Spider-Man isn't even allowed to try? I feel like the awfulness of this decontextualization is how the next movie will resolve why it's OK for Miles to actually win.

It is also so infuriating how Miguel blames Miles for getting bitten by that spider. Miguel basically ignores The Spot, the scientist who actually disrupted things by stealing the spider from a different dimension. It is all Miles fault somehow.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The opening sequence is astounding. The movie wastes no time in getting down to business and having every moment pull at least triple duty. It's an amazing action set piece. It's an effective prologue to set up the fundamental conflicts for Gwen. It also is cleverly meta. The statue that is cut open to reveal a bunch of smaller versions of the statue is so brilliant in a Spider-Man story that is going to be broken open to reveal a bunch of different Spider-Man stories inside. More of a commentary on what is art, but also still art, indeed.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Underselling it if anything.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Miguel's story doesn't add up in some obvious ways. Saving one dudes life could destroy an entire reality, but world 42 not having a Spider-Man at all does not seem to have done anything to it on an existential level. I can't wait for Beyond to spin out what is really going on and resolve things.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I knew he was going to use the go home machine and be sent to the wrong world pretty early in the chase sequence. It was very well set up and basically inevitable. A viewer could draw the conclusion from any one of a huge number of clues.

The movie is very good at having a ton of different stuff going on, but it is all coherent. All works together to support what the movie is doing.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Sure the soundtrack may not be as iconic, but I would say the score is better.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I think the reason we see elements of Miguel's Spider-Man-ness questioned is not because he isn't a Spider-Man, but rather because "what makes someone a real Spider-Man?" is a very important theme of the movie. Is Miguel a real Spider-Man if he isn't funny? Is Miles a real Spider-Man if he was never supposed to be bit? Can Pavitir be a real Spider-Man if he doesn't see a cop he likes get crushed by rubble? Do we define our own identity, of does the narrative define it for us?

There's an interesting mirror question with the Spot as well. He is defining himself by his relationship to Spider-Man, and that leads to his escalation. I think his defeat will not come from punching, but rather from Miles actively changing their relationship.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

In Gwen's prologue, was it Ned Leeds tormenting Peter in the place of Flash?

Yes.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The most tenuous thing to me about Miguel's understanding is that the universe he saw get wiped out was stressed in a seemingly different way than what his theory says is bad. It doesn't seem like he disrupted a canon event. He just lived in a different dimension for a while and then it fell apart. I know this is a story and the way the multiverse works is as a commentary on stories, but interpreting events with a non-narrative lens makes Miguel's working theory seem insane.

Alchemax did a big scary physics experiment and it damaged reality. Spider-Mans seem to have a demonstrable special connection. There is a jump between these observations and "dimensional integrity is predicated solely upon Spider-Man life events."

The first movie was about how anyone can be Spider-Man. The second is about being Spider-Man doesn't mean being a specific thing. Maybe the third will be about how there is more to the world than just Spider-Man.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Yeah, I am not criticizing the story for what Miguel believes. Makes a lot of sense. I just think it's interesting to consider how it breaks down, and how the next movie might spin together those inconsistencies into whatever it is going to say about Spider-Man stories.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

People saying it's too long are out of their mind. It goes so hard every single second and it's all good. Maybe the live action cameos outstay their welcome by a few seconds?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Sure, Luke ends in a position of safety reunited with allies. What about Han?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

There is no one size fits all when it comes to gayification. That is why there are so many Spider-Mans. Every one makes some people gay.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Beyond the Spiderverse is just Miles and Miles killing all the spidermans, John Wick style.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

What, that's not the cat Spider-Man out of costume?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

This video was a pretty good breakdown on the cool stuff they pull with Hobie.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

But it sucks to take out the "no no no no no" from Gwen when she's running to get Miles out of rubble.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Gwen did so much wrong and it was great. If she just told Miles about her job, the two of them could have beaten the stuffing out of no spots Spot. Roll credits.

But she's spiderman so doing a bad job of balancing her professional and personal life is kind of her thing.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I'm genuinely curious. What do you think could happen in fifteen minutes that would serve as a cohesive climax for the movie?

I feel like the various players hit the end of their arcs well before the end of the movie. (Nah I'mma do my own thing for Miles, the scene with her dad for Gwen, Spot's final menacing line for the spot. ) Then the movie spends significant time establishing what will be the start of the next movie's arcs.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I do think the live action cameos are the weakest points of the movie, but I don't think they're out and out bad. They do feel a little long, but I wonder if that's at least partially because live action does not read as quickly as animation.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

mycot posted:

I got so loving pissed off when the big moment in the Kraven trailer was him putting on the lion vest.

Hopefully the moral of the movie is that anyone can wear the vest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

His Dad was not wrong. Miles is the best of all. He's on his way.