Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Holy poo poo.

Saying lightning struck twice almost seems like underselling it, I can't believe how they were able to top themselves with animation and ideas while keeping so much of the heart. Might catch up the thread and post more, right now I'm just kind of awestruck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nephthys posted:

Honestly, Miles' first encounter with the Spot kind of illustrates that Miguel might have a point. Miles is very irresponsible in that scene; not taking Spot seriously at all, demeaning him and just making everything worse. Really, Spot is correct that stealing an ATM is a victimless crime. Spot also wasn't acting violently toward the shop owner at all. Miles didn't really need to intervene. He just exacerbated a situation way out of control. They definitely caused more property damage than was saved in the ATM and he unintentionally made a supervillain really, really loving motivated to do some damage. And he could have taken Spot out before revealing himself if he really thought he needed to, but he wanted to throw out some banter first.

Don't get me wrong, Miguel is ultimately missing the point but Miles really did need a wake up call to start being more responsible. But he can get that without someone needing to die for his "character development", I mean jesus christ.

eh to be fair Miguel isn't blaming Miles for being a cop and fighting against petty theft, and if anything would probably want the Spot dealt with way more harshly and decisively. Miguel is blaming Miles for: 1) becoming Spider-Man in place of another dimensions Spider-Man despite having no way of knowing any of this or choosing it 2) causing the dimensional rift in the first place (he didn't, Kingpin and Alchemax did and things would have gotten way worse without Miles fixing thing) 3) being oblivious that this caused issues in other dimensions that Miguel had to deal with? despite ordering everyone to keep Miles in the dark?? 4) saving the police chief in Mumbattan and causing the "canon event" there despite -- again -- not being given any info about this and 5) pre-emptively knowing that Miles probably wouldn't want his dad to die.

None of this really strikes me as "Miles needs to be more responsible" and it certainly doesnt strike me as "Miles needs to realize that petty theft is not worth fighting against and doing so just causes worse issues" although I mean, that is valid its just not a point the movie is really keen to make

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's an amusing concept/gag but yeah there's zero chance she isn't aware of Spider-Man as a concept. It's not even like not knowing who the current US president is, it's like not even knowing that the US has a president. Spider-Man seems to be the sole masked super hero on the planet in this series, that's not something you just aren't aware of because you don't watch the news or whatever

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Captain Jesus posted:

Jesus, that's really weak surface reading.

I feel like this debate is getting reaaallly hung up on the term "bad guy" when the point of a ton of super hero media is that it's a relative idea. Like everyone is in agreement that Miguel is the antagonist, that he's misguided in his current mission, that he does both well meaning but also hosed up stuff; the main point of contention here seems to be whether the sum of his actions equal to "bad guy" or "not bad guy", which IMO is a really overly simplistic way to look at things.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

fosborb posted:

yeah i'm seriously confused why this could possibly in question

from Miles' perspective it is a romantic rivalry for awhile

Yeah in addition to the above mentioned stuff Gwen at one point says Hobie "let's her crash sometimes" and Miles says something akin to "you're spending the night there!?"

Invalid Validation posted:

I remember it coming off that way but it doesn’t last too long and Hobie is all in on Miles the whole time. It’s great.

Yeah it's mainly before they meet, then a bit afterwards where Hobie is being effortlessly cool while Miles is making jealous little comments. Miles seemingly disobeying orders to save Inspector Singh wins over Hobie big time and from then on Miles is mainly focused on all the Spider-Society stuff but trusts Hobie's advice about using his palms to break out of force fields.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

mystes posted:

It kind of seems like the people in this thread who are insisting that there's an actual love triangle just don't understand that the way the audience understands things can be different from the way miles, as a teenager, understands things especially since miles isn't the only pov character.

I…don’t think anyone in this thread is being insistent that there is a full on live triangle to the point where Hobie and Gwen have actually gotten romantic. Like one person described it as a “love triangle” but the point of contention seemed to be whether Miles was more jealous that Gwen was doing stuff with the council of Spider-Men while others were like “no Miles clearly has a romantic crush on Gwen and that’s the main thing driving his jealousy”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

The idea of naming the films “Across the Spider-Verse Part One and Two” was scrapped more than a year before release and only showed up on some merch and a single teaser. It’s more than reasonable for people to have not heard this was a two-parter.

Looking up several of the official trailers hosted on Sony Entertainment I can't even find which one has the image posted above showing "Part One". However, I have been informed several times that Playstation 5: PLAY Has No Limits.

EDIT: I found it, it's the "First Look" trailer posted a year ago; "Official" trailers 1 and 2 posted 11 and 7 months ago don't advertise it being Part One

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 13, 2023