Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

keet posted:

The way Miles got jumped in the 42verse makes me think the whole evil Miles thing is a fakeout, since neither Miles or his uncle actually SAY anything incriminating or hurt him besides the knockout (the movie frames the whole thing as very grim, yes) it felt more like knocking someone out to interrogate them cause what are they supposed to think when an obviously 'fake' Miles double rolls up on em? I think it'll end up being a universe where Miles just turned out as more of an Batman/Punisher antihero.

mystes posted:

I think that's very likely and it would especially make sense if the idea is for Across the Spider-Verse to set up the idea of predestination in a way where we're supposed to assume that the Prowler has to be evil and then have the next movie reject that

When you think about it, there's nothing that even inherently makes the spot have to become a villain either; while to some degree that's a reaction to being rejected by other people because of his appearance, it also kind of feels like he just felt like he HAD to become a villain because he's supposed to be Miles' nemesis (which is pretty weak motivation even for a spiderman villain) when he could have just as easily just decide to be a superhero instead, so it feels like after this movie, the next one will be in a very good position to argue that the incorrect belief in predestination is responsible for a lot of the problems if its inclined to go in that direction

I think it makes sense that if protagonist Miles can choose to reject what is supposed to be his fate, then alternate Miles should also be able to be the Prowler but choose to make the Prowler more of a batman style hero rather than a villain

While I don't think there are many people who haven't seen the movie this deep into the thread, I'll warn of discussions for the very end of the movie.

I think what they're doing is showing not that Miles is inevitably heroic, but that he's always, as Gwen says, "amazing." This is what Miles becomes in a world that doesn't have Spider-Man. Thing is: Now this world DOES have Spider-Man. So Miles can be inspired all over again. Something I'm going back and forth on is if I want to see the different MIleses pop up to prove to 2099 that he belongs, or whether this Miles simply does that on his own. Come to think of it, I'd love to see a Miles from a world where Peter Parker is Spider-Man and Miles is never bit. Does he become a super-scientist or something?

Talorat posted:

By the way, it's right at the start of the movie so I feel like it's not fresh in anyone's mind by the end, but I loved the design and animation of renaissance vulture. The way they blended his design with the other characters and Gwen's world was incredibly cool and a great tone setter.

I thought back to this guy constantly throughout the movie. I was hoping to hop into the Leonardo Da Vinci notebook universe, but I understand why we never saw it again. I mean, how many ideas would really come out of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

The_Doctor posted:

IMAX still uses traditional projectors I think?

They do/did, but it's becoming vanishingly rare. A true 70mm IMAX projector is HUGE. Like "take up the whole room" huge. Most IMAX (why can't I help but capitalize it? I still have respect for the brand name in me somewhere, I guess.) presentations are digital laser projection now. Those projectors are still pretty loving big, but not compared to a complete platter and projector system for IMAX film. IMAX digital isn't the worst thing in the world (in fact, I've seen it look quite good), but it simply does NOT compare to the real thing.

Fun fact: The film is SO big and actually runs horizontally through the projector, you can kinda watch the movie as it goes by. It doesn't have the same persistence of vision as an actual projection and it's all stretched out, but it's still pretty cool.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

GateOfD posted:

What I like even with how Miguel is acting, I think its totally in line with being a spider-man. The conviction to hold true to your beliefs. Great Power, comes responsibility etc.
Like from his perspective, if the whole canon events stuff is true, its makes total sense why he acts the way he does.

Gaius Marius posted:

He's got that I accidentally genocided billions cause I thought I could be happy ptsd. Really gently caress you up

ImpAtom posted:

Miguel is very bluntly a dude suffering from extreme guilt over his mistakes and desperate to prevent them from happening again

You may recognize that as thr most Spider-Man rear end thing it is possible to be.

I think this all rounds out his character nicely. He's Spider-Man. Spider-Man's whole thing is that he is entirely too willing to sacrifice himself because of his guilt.

They talked about it in the first movie about how Spider-Man more or less *must* lose someone. Spider-Man's entire sense of morality is practically defined by trauma.

So, yes, Miguel is most certainly Miguel. He is the antagonist of this movie. I think he's trying to force his experiences on others as they are the only valid ones. Sounds.... very parental.

I'm interested in seeing how and why he comes around and what the broader implications become. Like, are we going to get innumerable Spider-Men suddenly getting re-traumatized by Uncle Ben's death now that the crutch of "It's OK because of the multiverse" get's kicked out from under them? (Ok, I know it's not that, but people will have fun arguing)

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 12, 2023

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

Captain Jesus posted:

The problem with this reading is that Miguel is ready to sacrifice others ( i.e. Miles' dad ), not himself, to preserve his idea of what is right, which is definitely not a Spider-Man thing to do.

Yeah, exactly. That's what makes him an antagonist Spider-Man. I don't think it thematically inappropriate for Miguel to force trauma onto others to make sense of his own. I think that's in line with "Spider-Man" in general and this Spider-Man in particular.

This is expressed most hurtfully when Peter B. Parker lets it slip that Capt. Jeff's "destiny" has been discussed and (at least tacitly) agreed upon. Miguel doesn't want or need others to suffer needlessly, but a whole lot Spiders-Man seem to think that these tragedies are absolutely necessary for *every* Spider-Man. Otherwise, maybe their own trauma wasn't strictly necessary either and that's a difficult notion to face.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

Nameless Pete posted:

Good on the dad for taking his wife's surname so he no longer has to be Jefferson Davis. It had to be hard growing up Black with that one.

Gaius Marius posted:

I noticed last night watching the older movie that he's credited as Jefferson Davis, à stealth change I can't imagine anybody really against.

I have no idea what possessed Bendis to name him that or why the editors let it through. Honestly, it will forever be a blemish on the character's legacy.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

At risk of fanning the flames:

I think this movie ends on a more traditional "cliffhanger" in that our hero is literally in peril at that last moment. When we pick back up with Beyond, we'll be wondering what happens *seconds* later. Even with Back to the Future II, we kinda know the score: Doc has to help Marty again. There's gonna be old west. Buckle up. With Empire, we kinda know the score: Luke needs to heal, Han is off the board for now (they even give C-3PO a stunningly out of character line to let us know that nothing's going to happen to him in the meantime: "Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is."). There will be a big battle against Darth Vader and the empire. Buckle up.

Here, we can't reasonably have many expectations. We know it's a continuation of this story. We know there's the core of Spider-Men who want to help Miles, and those that do not. There's another Miles. We don't know what his deal is (though, frankly, if it's just a fake-out, I think that'd be pretty cheap). There's just a lot of questions. I'm with those that think that the two parted-ness could have been handled better.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

Darko posted:

He has possibly the least agency or character of any of them and a huge part is him being so tied to Tony/Marvel in general.

I still genuinely have no idea if he can carry a movie on his own. Naturally, they're setting him up to be all lonely in the next, but, with these guys, you just can't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

Interesting. I don't recall there being much about Miles suffering with anxiety so I'm assuming this is a prequel. Perhaps it's about the other Miles?

Either way, it's nice to see something new before the 6 years or something it'll take to make the next movie.