Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Well holy poo poo that was good. Saw it at 1PM on a Monday and the theater was pretty crowded so that's probably a good sign.

Unfortunately I think I was the only one there who knew it was a Part 1 since the reactions to the "To Be Continued" were very negative.

One thing that'll be interesting to see resolved is that Aaron was already Prowler in our Miles universe when the spider bit him. Now, all the universes are different anyway so it's not necessarily true that he was already the Prowler in 42, but if 42 Miles is the Prowler and they're anti-heroes now that could mean that 42 Miles managed to talk Aaron out of that life. Which our Miles didn't try to do, leading to Aaron's eventual death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I do have one sort of criticism of what was a great film and I guess it’s a little moot since it won’t impact rewatches. But

Did anyone else who knew it was a part 1 feel like that messed with the pacing of the last 20 or so minutes? From basically the time they got on the train till the actual ending I was sitting there expecting the “to be continued” to drop and it took me a little out of the breakneck final act. When I watch it again that won’t be a problem and I’ll be able to enjoy it a bit more but I wasn’t sure if this was just me or if other people felt the same way.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I noticed the lick but just thought of the Madonna song, which I guess samples the Spider-Man song anyway. But I never watched the old cartoon.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Macaluso posted:

From what I've seen people say, the digital version is just the second cut they released when they fixed the audio issues. I think most people just saw the movie on opening weekend

It’s a mix. Spot saying “which wouldn’t be good” is in the digital which was the cut I saw in theaters, but Gwen’s extended worrying about Miles when he’s saving the inspector isn’t, while it was in the version I saw.

I wish they’d just say what happened so people could stop speculating. I guess they were tinkering till past the last second and some versions shipped “old” and then between the theatrical run and the digital release they chose a few things from each.

Edit: and from what I remember those were probably the two differences that made the biggest story difference, and I think they went the right way with both in the digital release.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

KittyEmpress posted:

I think MIguel's most trusted agents all being outsider-Spiders is like, intentional. Look at the spidermen he surrounds himself with as his most trusted. They're not Peters. He himself is also not a Peter. Ben Reily never got bit by a radioactive spider, he's a clone made from a Peter who got bit by one.

I do wonder how much of that is intentional because they like the idea of outsiders vs. outsiders, and how much is because they don't want multiple people named Peter Parker being important/main characters/antagonists in the same movie.

Most of Team Gwen’s team aren’t traditional Peter Parkers either. I mean I guess Noir is technically one but otherwise it’s just B.

I think it’s for a few reasons. The name Peter Parker still carries a lot of meaning to people and I don’t think most want a detailed look at him falling for Miguel’s thing. But also like you said we don’t need 5 Peters to keep track of and it would just get messy and boring outside of madcap chase scenes. For as confusing as everything could be, if you say “Peter Parker from Spiderverse” it’s immediately clear who you’re talking about and that’s a good thing.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

mystes posted:

I guess that makes sense but I kind of interpreted all those things exactly the opposite way. Like Miles is worried that they may be an item but she's just dismissing that. She hasn't gone home for a while at that point so it's not surprising that she's ended up crashing at Hobie's place sometimes while doing spider society stuff, but she doesn't even really feel like they're friends.

I think once we meet Hobie it becomes clear how he may be the type of dude where you could crash on his couch but the word “friends” doesn’t necessarily feel right.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I just noticed that in the original flashback scene with Spot when he talks about pulling the spider from 42, the spider is crawling on a desk that has a guy who looks a good bit like 42 Miles sitting at it. Same hair style anyway.

So Miles is the only Miles Spider-Man, from what we know, but it’s possible that there was always meant to be one.

Or maybe I’m reading too much into a split second scene.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole implication is that's literally 42-Miles the spider was going to bite before the particle collider sucked it into protagonist Miles' dimension, that's exactly the point. Miles ended up sent back to the wrong dimension because the go-home machine based it on the spider venom's origin, not Miles himself. Since that Miles could then not become Spider-man, he instead ended up becoming the Prowler.

Maybe I missed a bigger giveaway but I got that the spider had come from that dimension but didn’t realize it was supposed to bite Miles there. For all I knew the first few watches it was supposed to bite a 42 Peter or somebody. It wasn’t till I noticed that brief flashback that it clicked that there was supposed to be a Spider Miles, just not THAT Miles.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
One thing sort of bothers me while rewatching.

Why does Miguel tell Miles anything? Why not just say “hey knock it off” and ship him back? Why tell him 2 days before his dad is supposed to die? Why tell him it’s 2 days until his dad dies? Why tell him there is a captain-death thing at all? They gave him way more information than would’ve been necessary to get him to buzz off. I know the real reason is the story didn’t work otherwise but is there any in-universe justification for dropping that info bomb on him?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Invalid Validation posted:

To be fair all the other Spider-Mans don’t really question the canon events because they just assume you need to go through it and it takes someone that’s not a variation of Peter Parker to say gently caress this, things can be better. All Spider-Mans are sad sacks that are defined by their trauma. Or so they think.

Were any of the other Spider-things told before the events took place? Besides Gwen? It's one thing to hear after the fact "you had to go through that to become who you are." It's very different to hear "you have to let this happen." And Gwen was estranged from her dad as well.

I guess I get it. I think if Miguel knew how it would work out he would've sent Miles on some "mission" to another universe for a couple days to keep him busy until it happened. He made a pretty drastic miscalculation letting it play out how it did.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Talorat posted:

I think they potentially could have made enough room for a third act climax (and no sequel) by cutting the entire chase scene in Spidermanland which doesn’t really amount to much in terms of plot, but is very fun.

Well I’m glad they didn’t do that.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I’ve gotten to show the movie to three people who didn’t know it was a Part 1 going in and it’s been an extremely entertaining experience each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, to be honest, "So there was an interdimensional disaster during which I got powers and thrived with help from other Spider-Men... and now I'm completely alone, the only Spider-Man, and now have to deal with all this poo poo myself knowing the last guy was literally killed on the job" is the kind of thing that would make anyone sane panic.

Now add in being like 14